Shatel: Pelini says coaching changes weren't fun

LINCOLN — It’s his staff now. His offense. His team. His fingerprints.

When Nebraska football spring practice kicks off Saturday, the Bo Pelini Era begins anew in many ways. New conference. New challenges.

The Huskers have the official Pelini stamp now. For many coaches, this is the fun part.

Are we having fun yet?

Continue Reading

wow - probably one of the most honest interviews I've heard Pelini give. He owned up to a few things. I like the fact that he's going to "marry" the team together. There were a number of times in the last few seasons where it seemed as though we had an offensive team, and a defensive team - and there was a large divide between the two.

Great read. This quote here struck me the most.

“There was such a negative air around everything ... It was his decision as much as anything. He had said, ‘I’ve got to move on.’ You get to the point where you get beat up the way he was getting beat up, I mean, he has goals. He’s done a lot in his career. It had become like the snowball was running so fast, it was out of control. He wanted to remove himself from the situation as much as anything else."

For all those people that criticize every move that Pelini makes, make note, we can cause a coach to want to leave. Yes a lot of people wanted Wats gone...but I take this quote as saying it effects everyone of the coaches. This isn't only an issue with fans hammering him but also the media. It always takes a toll on their opinions and wants concerning their job.

• Fire 3

Good read. As mentioned this is Pelini's team now, and it will be fun to watch it come together. I am glad Watson and Gilmore have found other positions, however I doubt they would be homeless if they didn't find something.

Whose team was it before?

Although I sort of see what you mean. Everyone is now an old Pelini buddy that he went and got.

“There was such a negative air around everything ... It was his decision as much as anything. He had said, ‘I’ve got to move on.’ You get to the point where you get beat up the way he was getting beat up, I mean, he has goals. He’s done a lot in his career. It had become like the snowball was running so fast, it was out of control. He wanted to remove himself from the situation as much as anything else."

For all those people that criticize every move that Pelini makes, make note, we can cause a coach to want to leave. Yes a lot of people wanted Wats gone...but I take this quote as saying it effects everyone of the coaches. This isn't only an issue with fans hammering him but also the media. It always takes a toll on their opinions and wants concerning their job.

You're exactly right. No other college fanbase out there would have the gall to hammer their coach, and I'm sure there's also no other media that would do that to a coach.

You're exactly right. No other college fanbase out there would have the gall to hammer their coach, and I'm sure there's also no other media that would do that to a coach.

The guy didn't say we were the only fanbase guilty of this, only that we are in fact guilty of it.

There is not a single fanbase in the country that doesn't murmur constantly about the most mundane, day-to-day coaching decisions. Not a single one. What drove Watson away was not murmurings; it was a constant public outcry that he be fired.

But I think the air of negativity Bo was referring to was not just the fans; I think it was probably the team as well. I imagine that a lot of the offensive players were pissed about how they were being utilized/not utilized and I'm sure the D was getting a little tired of the O sucking it up and losing games that the D was keeping us in.

And even if the fanbase did drive Watson off, then good riddance. You can bitch about the fans' negativity or you can stop sucking and shut them up. Your choice.

Let's call a spade a spade: Callahan's coaching tree is poisoned. I give Gilmore no more than 4 years at USC before he is bounced out. Knowing that program as I do, they will not tolerate him squandering their 5-star WRs. The only thing he has going in his favor is that their old WR coach (Johnny Morton) was worse than Gilmore and had been in that fanbase's crosshairs for years, much like us with Gilmore.