Name of Husker vs Hawkeye rivalry?

I actually think the Farmageddon nickname is going to catch and become a very, very widespread term used by fans and commentators/writers/etc. unofficially. It seems like it's been sticking so far.

I vote for Farmageddon. I wish I still had the picture that someone posted on here when we first heard we were going to the Big 10. It was a picture of a farmer in a field with a nuclear bomb in the background. Genius. If anyone still has that picture could you post it?

First off, let me premise by saying that I understand that rivalries don't need catchy names - Nebraska vs. Oklahoma survived for quite sometime without having an official title, whereas the OU vs. UT was dubbed the "Red River Rivalry." Having said that, I am a pretty dedicated Nebraska fan that lives in Iowa, therefore have many friends/family that are Hawkeye fans - thus, this new match-up excites me. Anyways, getting back on topic, I'd like to give the rivalry a title - not caring if it ever becomes "mainstream" or not, that's not the point. I am trying to think of something that's possibly funny and could incorporate some of the geographic similarities of the two states as well (but not necessary). I have heard of "Farmageddon," "The Corn-Hawk Rivalry," and "The CornBelt" among a few other names, but I just haven't heard "it" yet. If there are any creative minds on the board, and would be willing to share, I'd appreciate your input. It could be something off-the-wall as well...

GBR!

Bill

My husband votes for the 'Harvest Bowl' I kinda like that too but my vote still goes to Farmageddon.

Lets call it, the "you think the black friday fights at wal-mart were this bad wait till you see this one" bowl.

Seriously though..... we could call it "The battle for the CornBelt."

The winner would get a trophy shaped like a belt. WWF size.

.... Doing the Aaron Rodgers belt impression now.

I am also out on any "corny" name. Farmaggedon is used already so stealing it would be easy but unoriginal.

We definetly should leave out any references to MO. I am not a huge fan of "labeling the game" but if so maybe something along the lines of Combine Clash, Silo Slaughter, would suffice.

Don't we get to play PState every year. Why aren't they our biggest "rival"? Our storied history with PSU is much more significant than Iowa's.

I am also out on any "corny" name. Farmaggedon is used already so stealing it would be easy but unoriginal.

We definetly should leave out any references to MO. I am not a huge fan of "labeling the game" but if so maybe something along the lines of Combine Clash, Silo Slaughter, would suffice.

Don't we get to play PState every year. Why aren't they our biggest "rival"? Our storied history with PSU is much more significant than Iowa's.

We do get to play Penn State every year and from a pure match-up perspective it may turn out to be a bigger rivalry on the field. I am certainly not trying to declare who our biggest rivalry should be by any means, I think that will play itself out. I actually see the Iowa in the same light as the Missouri game. Missouri wanted to call the match-up a rivalry for so many years, Husker fans have and never really will call it a true rivalry, but I personally know there wasn't a team I wanted to beat more year in and year out than Missouri because of the arrogance of their fan base. Having said that, Iowa fans aren't quite as bad, but because of the success they've seen in the last 10 years think they can hang with us. Couple that with the proximity of Iowa and Nebraska, the family/friend connections between the fan bases, and the game being played the day after Thanksgiving and you have an instant rivalry in the making. It's my hope that from a statistical perspective it can never be justified, but the game will always be significant.

I couldn't care less what the "rivalry" is called. IMO the game doesn't even deserve a name yet. Maybe after they've played anually for a few years it might grow into a contest worthy of a catchy moniker. But at this point any nickname they choose will be no more genuine than one some lame ass guy gave himself because he never accomplished anything unique enough to earn one.

Like I said, I'm not overly concerned with the name, but I do think Farmageddon is a f'ing dumb ass name for a football game. There's really no better way to perpetuate the stereotype that the midwest is full of sh#t kicking farmers and backward country bumpkins than to name your nationally televised game something as cheesy as Farmageddon. :facepalm: Not to mention the fact that it's completely unoriginal!

I guess if I HAD to choose a name I think it makes the most sense to use either a play on the school's names, or a shared landmark of the two schools. The obvious choice having something to do with the Missouri river. How about 'The Melee on the Missouri'?