Why Nebraska left for "greener" pastures...

My link

Home > Sports > Colleges > Colleges Headlines

Comments 3 | Recommend 0

Big 12 closing in on TV deal with Fox worth $60 million

The remaining schools in the Big 12 are about to realize the financial benefits from remaining together as a conference.

The Big 12 and Fox are nearing a deal for the conference cable TV rights that more than triple the current deal, according to multiple sources familiar with the negotiations and projections. The conference, which currently receives about $20 million from Fox, would see that figure increase to more than $60 million. While the Big 12 doesn’t have equal revenue sharing, all schools would enjoy a healthy increase. For example, Texas A&M would now be assured of at least $20 million in league revenue annually, a key condition for the Aggies remaining in the Big 12 last summer. The projections of greater TV revenue were one tool commissioner Dan Beebe used to keep the conference intact as teams considered moves to the Pac-10 , Big Ten and SEC.

A five-person committee has been negotiating with Fox. In return for the major increase, Fox would get a 10-year deal. The conference’s broadcast rights contract with ABC/ESPN expire after the 2015-16 season.

Big 12 spokesman Bob Burda wouldn’t confirm the numbers, originally reported by SportsBusiness Journal. He would only say the conference was “working diligently” on a new cable rights deal.

Two sources indicated that the $60 million might be a low-end projection. A deal could be announced by early April.

Fox and the conference are also talking about a Big 12 branded cable network for the remainder of football, basketball and other events not covered by the broadcast and cable deals. Texas, which is starting its own network late this year with ESPN, is not part of those discussions. Oklahoma, which had considered its own cable network, has not closed the door on joining the eight other Big 12 schools, sources said.

Four things here:

1. This, factored in with the ABC/ESPN agreement, is only (only!) $130 million/year (per Steve Sipple) for the Big XII schools. ESPN agreement is likely to increase, but not to the tune of $70 million more/school/year.

2. This money is only for airtime on the Fox Sports cable channels, not Fox Over the Air--remember the Big 10 (and soon to be Pac-12) deals are for Fox OTA National broadcasts, not crappy, half-baked regional broadcasts. (see Hank the Tank's blog re: Fox's recent move to bid against ESPN for Fox OtA national broadcasting rights to college football).

3. Based off of these numbers, the Big XII may just edge out what the ACC pulls in (read: $16 million/school). Don't be shocked if it doesn't happen, though.

4. This money isn't split evenly. If you aren't a Texas school or a school that has an antiquated mode of transportation for a mascot and a team name based off of a criminal act, you see jack and **** of this deal.

In contract, fully vested B1G schools pulled in approx. $22 million/school for 2009, and an estimated $24 million/school for 2010, IIRC. Add another $1.6 million/school to that B1G number for 2011 (Title game on Fox OtA), and remember the ESPN/ABC contract is up for renegotiation in a couple of years.

Folks--once Nebraska is a fully vested member in the B1G, we will be sitting pretty.

They really need to proof-read the article:

The projections of greater TV revenue were one tool commissioner Dan Beebe used to keep the conference intact as teams considered moves to the Pac-10 , Big Ten and SEC.

Should read: The projections of greater TV revenue were what the tool commissioner Dan Beebe used to keep the conference intact as teams considered moves to the Pac-10 , Big Ten and SEC.

The projections of greater TV revenue were one tool commissioner Dan Beebe used to keep the conference intact as teams considered moves to the Pac-10 , Big Ten and SEC.

Should read: The projections of greater TV revenue were what the tool commissioner Dan Beebe used to keep the conference intact as teams considered moves to the Pac-10 , Big Ten and SEC.

yo-dawg-at-first-i-was-like.jpg

The question is, though, can a tool be used by another tool?

No matter what the deal is, the fact that Texas is still getting the lump sum of all of this, the fact that they have their own network, and the fact that they (and so far Oklahoma) are not participating in the Big 12 Branded network speaks volumes.

I still say, the Big 12-2 conference will implode within the next five years, with Texas going indy and Oklahoma joining the SEC or Pac-12.

No matter what the deal is, the fact that Texas is still getting the lump sum of all of this, the fact that they have their own network, and the fact that they (and so far Oklahoma) are not participating in the Big 12 Branded network speaks volumes.

I still say, the Big 12-2 conference will implode within the next five years, with Texas going indy and Oklahoma joining the SEC or Pac-12.

Frank the Tank had an interesting editorial the other day suggesting that A&M (and, ultimately the Big XII-II) is supposedly farked into staying with this crap conference because the Texas state legislature won't allow them to leave w/o taking their inept brethren (Baylor, Texas Tech) along.

While Frank does have a point, I think he underestimates the want (need) for SEC recruiting in the state of Texas, the lure of the Houston media market, and the SEC's ability to make the impossible happen with graft, greed, grit, and good 'ole fashioned 'can do'.

Talk is that the deal is actually worth 90 million a year. With rumors of the new ABC/espn deal being worth an additional 50-70 million. This would put the teams around 20 million a year or higher depending on appearances. Isu/ksu - 19-20 million. Mu/osu - 22-23 million and TX/ou 25+ million a year.

My understanding is that this is before the expected new big 12 network and the individual networks for TX and ou.

It really doesn't matter, because we joined the Big 10 because...

1. They asked us, and no one else (exception of Notre Shame)

2. Its Fair

3. The Research Dollars we get, which is an unreal amount.

4. Repeat 1 thru 3

I hope Missouri enjoys being nothing but Texas and Oklahoma's Beeeeeeotch, for the rest of eternity.

Here's to you, you 2010 big 12 north co champ you. Go raise a banner in your facilities.....

I hope Missouri enjoys being nothing but Texas and Oklahoma's Beeeeeeotch, for the rest of eternity.

I just love how even though there was nothing that was said against NE, or promoting MU. Someone always has to come at me or MU with something completely off topic and out of the blue nearly ever time I post.

"I hope Missouri Nebraska enjoyed being nothing but Texas and Oklahoma's Beeeeeeotch, and Texas's for the rest of eternity"

Fixed it for ya. ;)

I just love how even though there was nothing that was said against NE, or promoting MU. Someone always has to come at me or MU with something completely off topic and out of the blue nearly ever time I post.

"I hope Missouri, and everyone else that isn't Texas or OU, have enjoyed being nothing but Texas and Oklahoma's Beeeeeeotch, and Texas's for the rest of eternity"

Fixed it for ya. ;)

There we go, now it's right...

Not too mention, how can we be Texas's bitch, when we're not in the same conference anymore? I think somebody has to readjust their fire on that one...