This "new" offense?

The B1G is not stuck in the 50's.

One could contend that teams like Michigan State with their traditional sets and Wisconsin's power game undermine any sense of offensive 'progress' demonstrated by the changing college football landscape.

However,

Purdue, Northwestern, Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Penn State and Ohio State have all ran some if not total spread.

Hell, there are some games where the Hoosiers think it's a penalty to run the ball at all, and Purdue and Northwestern have been spread teams since the late 90's. The Purdue spread produced Drew Brees, Ohio State utilizes Pryor's mobility quite a bit, and while Michigan might be in transition, you can bet their jitterbug QB will be taking snaps out of the gun in some form or fashion.

Illinois took their spread all the way to the Rose Bowl in '07 with Juice Williams, Rashard Mendenhall and Aurelious Benn while we were struggling to score against mediocre Okie State and aTm defenses.

Dan Persa is a sniper when he's healthy.

If you think we're going to shut everyone down, you have another thing coming. It will be as challenging if not moreso in our new conference digs, so the boys in red better buckle down.

Bo-fense has already figured out how to minimize the effectiveness of the spread offense. I don't see it hurting us at all. Especially in our division. I've got a feeling Osborne knows what he's doing.

The absolute NUMBER 1 thing that hurts our team is ourself. We cut back on turnovers, and stupid penalties, we'll be in good shape.

• Fire 1

Bo-fense has already figured out how to minimize the effectiveness of the spread offense. I don't see it hurting us at all. Especially in our division. I've got a feeling Osborne knows what he's doing.

The absolute NUMBER 1 thing that hurts our team is ourself. We cut back on turnovers, and stupid penalties, we'll be in good shape.

Thats a helluva good start.

Hopefully Beck doesn't get "Watson-itis", which as most know, is when something is working, do everything you can to change it so it won't work.

sorry guys, cart way before the horse here, we have nowhere near the athletes, experience or system in place that an Oregon or Auburn has..we are busy building a foundation, just getting started, but i understand how much fun it is to compare great offenses...we're are trying to move from poor to acceptable.....exceptional is wayyyyyyy down the road.

Thank You!!!!!! Im glad somebody else on here has their head on straight about the expectations about this offense.

+1 to sir!!!!!

Nothing like low expectations. Bravo.

What the heck is wrong with you? Head on straight???? How about: maybe "better than total suck" being a reasonable expectation for a offensive output at NU? Easy call. I broke furniture last season watching idiotic playcall after idiotic playcall in the biggest spots, witnessed obvious glaring deficiencies on the offense that just screamed "BAD COACHING", just like all of you. Meanwhile, the defense continued to be very solid and well-coached yet again against superior offensive teams, and in seriously hostile situations last season, probably worse than what NU will see this upcoming season. I'm sick of seeing Bo's blackshirts get hung out to dry by pathetic offensive planning. Beck can absolutely not do worse. I think any number of metro area high school coaches could do more with less than Watson had to work with. Hell, Kansas St. and Iowa State both beat Texas last season.

Bottom line: There's more than 2 million reasons each year I think Bo knows more than any of you about football on both sides of the ball, and I trust him (and T.O.) to steer this program into the promised land, especially now that he's got all his own people on staff.

Quit Bitching and Get on Board.

P.S. Lay off Taylor Martinez. That dude was out there limping and bleeding wearing the N, in extremely tough circumstances, and armchair quarterbacks on this board have the nerve to talk junk about him. He's not from here, why should he care about you or this state? but he goes out there, limping, and most kids wouldn't have. Most kids would be like, " hey coach, my ankle is jacked up and i can barely walk. I think I'll sit this one out" but he didn't. He kept going out there and getting killed over and over, and i'm just sitting there shaking my head. It hurt to watch him out there sometimes. So seriously, just shut up about him. That kid is a warrior and in my book he's proven it on the field, playing his heart out for your favorite team. "Not the victory..." and "in the deed the glory".

• Fire 1

The B1G is not stuck in the 50's.

Yes they are.

Michigan State looked real advanced getting schlocked by Alabama. So did Penn St.

And Oh Boy did Wisconsin look dynamic against an undersized speedy TCU with 1/4 the talent NU has. And barely squeaking by ASU at home.

Northwestern Indiana Illinois Iowa blah blah = road kill.

OSU won't score a point in Lincoln. Penn State is stuck in the 50's because their head coach is. I don't think he's even changed his hairstyle since 1950.

Just remember who said what about NU vs. the big slow ten, chicken littles.

Yep.

The Big10 has been getting slaughtered in bowls for years now. They're a good conference but hardly overwhelming. I fully agree that there's no reason NU can't steamroll the Big10 if we can just muster up a reasonably consistent "average" offense.

I also fully agree that the talent is there. SW & Ted being gone is a huge upgrade. Heard/Tmart/Green is an extremely fast backfield & Rex is a blue chip winner. We now finally have some "very" talented depth at qb and the Oline (although maybe not at center).

Yeah, I'm with ya. I think we're the team to beat.

Thats a helluva good start.

Hopefully Beck doesn't get "Watson-itis", which as most know, is when something is working, do everything you can to change it so it won't work.

Oh boy, that's the truth. With SW we run for 7 or 8 yds on 1st down (SW then sees something shiny in the stands), so we then throw a couple of incompletes (bad passes and/or drops by the wrs) for yet another 3 & out. Over & over & over.....

Don't go that route Beck and you'll be ok.

Look, I'm not saying the Huskers are chopped liver.

I'm just saying that we must have respect for each of our conference foes, no matter what offense they run. Iowa's sluggish offense was able to put 27 up on Missouri in the bowl. Illinois also took it to Baylor with their roadkill offense, not to mention the Buckeyes running all over a pretty good Arkansas defense.

I hope you're right and we roll over everyone, but to say we'll hold OSU scoreless? We'd have to play defense like we did vs. Texas in the '09 Big 12 championship game.

sorry guys, cart way before the horse here, we have nowhere near the athletes, experience or system in place that an Oregon or Auburn has..we are busy building a foundation, just getting started, but i understand how much fun it is to compare great offenses...we're are trying to move from poor to acceptable.....exceptional is wayyyyyyy down the road.

Thank You!!!!!! Im glad somebody else on here has their head on straight about the expectations about this offense.

+1 to sir!!!!!

Nothing like low expectations. Bravo.

What the heck is wrong with you? Head on straight???? How about: maybe "better than total suck" being a reasonable expectation for a offensive output at NU? Easy call. I broke furniture last season watching idiotic playcall after idiotic playcall in the biggest spots, witnessed obvious glaring deficiencies on the offense that just screamed "BAD COACHING", just like all of you. Meanwhile, the defense continued to be very solid and well-coached yet again against superior offensive teams, and in seriously hostile situations last season, probably worse than what NU will see this upcoming season. I'm sick of seeing Bo's blackshirts get hung out to dry by pathetic offensive planning. Beck can absolutely not do worse. I think any number of metro area high school coaches could do more with less than Watson had to work with. Hell, Kansas St. and Iowa State both beat Texas last season.

Bottom line: There's more than 2 million reasons each year I think Bo knows more than any of you about football on both sides of the ball, and I trust him (and T.O.) to steer this program into the promised land, especially now that he's got all his own people on staff.

Quit Bitching and Get on Board.

P.S. Lay off Taylor Martinez. That dude was out there limping and bleeding wearing the N, in extremely tough circumstances, and armchair quarterbacks on this board have the nerve to talk junk about him. He's not from here, why should he care about you or this state? but he goes out there, limping, and most kids wouldn't have. Most kids would be like, " hey coach, my ankle is jacked up and i can barely walk. I think I'll sit this one out" but he didn't. He kept going out there and getting killed over and over, and i'm just sitting there shaking my head. It hurt to watch him out there sometimes. So seriously, just shut up about him. That kid is a warrior and in my book he's proven it on the field, playing his heart out for your favorite team. "Not the victory..." and "in the deed the glory".

First off we arent bitching and WE ARE ON BOARD. I too became destructive last year watching our offense, A&M game is what did it for me. Nobody should have high expectations for this offense after the last 2 years. We just need improvement, if we improve over the course of the year, then everybody can have a hard on for this offense. Im being realistic and no I dont have low expectations.

Second, Taylor did sit out a few games last year, anyone remember???? Taylor doesnt have 10 wins has a QB he has 8, also 4 losses. I talk "junk" about Taylor cause he has not proven it on the field, atleast against teams that have a pulse. He lacks leadership skills, pocket presence, the desire to win and the respect of his teammates. Everybody can have the desire to win, but if dont put in the work then it wont happen. All needed to be a successful QB. Since everybody brings up Tommie Frazier now adays, not body liked Tommie as a friend. But every single person on that team RESPECTED Tommie. Why???? because he had all the intangibles stated above. He had those qualities as a freshman believe it or not.

I'll get ya some knee pads and send ya over to Taylors dorm room.

Bravo.

We now finally have some "very" talented depth at qb and the Oline (although maybe not at center).

Dude, Caputo is the strongest guy on the team. Ask Dob.

Tell me, how many times did Caputo get pushed into the backfield by the Dlineman across from him? Just because you are weight room strong, does not mean that transfers to on field play.

• Fire 1
We now finally have some "very" talented depth at qb and the Oline (although maybe not at center).

Tell me, how many times did Caputo get pushed into the backfield by the Dlineman across from him? Just because you are weight room strong, does not mean that transfers to on field play.

Lets see the second UW game and the A&M game come to mind. The A&M game is where his precious Taylor got his ankle rolled on.

Lets see the second UW game and the A&M game come to mind. The A&M game is where his precious Taylor got his ankle rolled on.

Right on. An undersized and over matched UW dline can push around our strongest player. Not only as it those two games, but Texas was in our backfield all day.

That's exactly what I thought, too. Anybody ever see what Marshall Faulk looked like with his shirt off? That dude was in no way shape or form a gym star...but he was a first ballot hall of fame caliber talent on the football field. Mike is not a horrible center, but he isn't a world beater either. That's not a huge knock on him or anything...most people aren't.

Caputo had a torn meniscus for half of the year. I think that is a little unfair. I'm sort of surprised we never put in a backup. Playing our starters when they are ineffective due to injury seems to have been a theme.

Because Barney is a dip sh#t. I don't care how they spin it in the media about not having enough help or a GA to work the line the past 3 years. . .the fact is . . he's a suborn tool and that's why he played those guys, that's why he refused "working" sessions with other line coaches from other schools and a former one from this school.

I'm scared to see what happens with his youngest after the position switch.

• Fire 1

Zoogies,

You have a point. It does seem to be an on going situation with injured players, (serious injuries in the line up.

Is it because we do not have the depth for replacement. Stubborness or lack of talent or experience.

High ankle sprains, turf toe normally set any athlete. I have had a torn meniscus and I know how bad that can hurt when tweaked the wrong way. Protecting it would have caused problems I would think. It can lock and drop you to the ground without notice.