Dark Horse Heisman Contenders for 2011

It has nothing to do with hype. It is the comments he can not hit the side of barn, runs to daddy and cries, the team hates him, he has lost the team, anyone would be better, he quit on the team, wants to transfer. None of these are factual.

That is what bugs me.

Again I ask, what do you do for a living(not singling anyone out here).

I work for a phone company. I locate and build micro wave tower sites. I could not do my job well with a sprained ankle or turf toe. Most likely would not even try. How many of you take a day off from work with a cold or the flu?. None of us have walked a mile in his shoes. No one knows the real story, until we do we need to support him. I think he needs it.

You can make comments about what he needs to improve on, his short comings without attacking him. The kid is a freshman, very few fresman are leaders. It takes time to develop into one sometimes. Very few Freshmen start at Nebraska and far fewer at QB. We need to remember that. He is the first. My guess is that no one is more disappointed in how the season ended than Taylor.

It has nothing to do with hype. It is the comments he can not hit the side of barn, runs to daddy and cries, the team hates him, he has lost the team, anyone would be better, he quit on the team, wants to transfer. None of these are factual.

That is what bugs me.

I work for a phone company. I locate and build micro wave tower sites. I could not do my job well with a sprained ankle or turf toe. Most likely would not even try. How many of you take a day off from work with a cold or the flu?. None of us have walked a mile in his shoes. No one knows the real story, until we do we need to support him. I think he needs it.

You can make comments about what he needs to improve on, his short comings without attacking him. The kid is a freshman, very few fresman are leaders. It takes time to develop into one sometimes. Very few Freshmen start at Nebraska and far fewer at QB. We need to remember that. He is the first. My guess is that no one is more disappointed in how the season ended than Taylor.

Im being critical of his skills at QB. I never made any reference to him crying to daddy or the other things. I said he couldnt hit the side of the barn, because its actually pretty fair crictism. How many wide open receivers did he miss this year, no Im not counting the drop passes. I remember the Idaho game, he under threw McNeill by about 7 yards. McNeill came over to the sideline, basically threw his hands up at Bo said something and Bo fired back, had the last word.

Im being critical of his skills at QB. I never made any reference to him crying to daddy or the other things. I said he couldnt hit the side of the barn, because its actually pretty fair crictism. How many wide open receivers did he miss this year, no Im not counting the drop passes. I remember the Idaho game, he under threw McNeill by about 7 yards. McNeill came over to the sideline, basically threw his hands up at Bo said something and Bo fired back, had the last word.

A player's second game ever at the college level is typically the best barometer by which to judge them.

A player's second game ever at the college level is typically the best barometer by which to judge them.

Which game would like me judge him by???? game 13 were he threw across his body to an INT. How about game 14 where he just flicked the ball to avoid being sack eventhough we were in own territory.

Well people were saying that he was injured and all this. I was reference a game where he wasnt injured. I could pull up the SDSU game if you want, how about CCG or bowl game where he was supposedly healthy. How about Texas game, wait never mind receivers were dropping passes right and left, which they were Im not arguing.

The point is for every game that Taylor played bad or horrible, everybody brings up an excuse, he was injured, the coaches suck, he was still injured, by game the CCG and bowl game it was he is just a freshman. Well by game 13 rolls around a freshman QB should have improved enough to be able manage the game and not be a liablity.

Right now, as it stands Taylor maybe an hell of an athlete, he is just not suited for the QB position. JMHO.

• Fire 1

Which game would like me judge him by???? game 13 were he threw across his body to an INT. How about game 14 where he just flicked the ball to avoid being sack eventhough we were in own territory.

Well people were saying that he was injured and all this. I was reference a game where he wasnt injured. I could pull up the SDSU game if you want, how about CCG or bowl game where he was supposedly healthy. How about Texas game, wait never mind receivers were dropping passes right and left, which they were Im not arguing.

The point is for every game that Taylor played bad or horrible, everybody brings up an excuse, he was injured, the coaches suck, he was still injured, by game the CCG and bowl game it was he is just a freshman. Well by game 13 rolls around a freshman QB should have improved enough to be able manage the game and not be a liablity.

Right now, as it stands Taylor maybe an hell of an athlete, he is just not suited for the QB position. JMHO.

By game 13 Taylor should have improved enough not to be a liability, you're right. However, you know when he wasn't a liability? Before he got hurt.

I'm sorry if you look at that as an excuse, but it's pretty legit if you ask me. You're right, the kid isn't a good enough QB to make plays with just his arm, but asking him to do that is expecting him to be something he's not. At least for right now, he needs his legs to open up the field for him, and when those were taken away, he was still forced to go out and basically suck because the healthy QBs behind him weren't any better.

Also, anytime a player goes a whole season without appearing to improve, some of that you can attribute to coaching, and it should be telling to you that the offensive coordinator and QB coach was let go this offseason.

What people should be upset about is the fact that we had so little depth at QB that we were put in the position to start a redshirt freshman with a sprained ankle and turf toe. I don't think Carnes or Turner or Starling are going to win the starting spot this year, simply because I think the chance of finding someone as good as Martinez was as a healthy freshman 2 years in a row is extremely small. But I sure as hell look forward to the depth they bring to the table. I don't want to see Martinez get hurt again, but if it happens, hopefully we have someone that can step in and actually run our offense.

Alright, since every thread I start tends to turn into a "Your a Martinez Hater" thread... I'm going to attempt to steer this one back on track. :)

Back to the Heisman Dark Horse Candidates.

Here is a group of players I feel deserve more attention for their possible run at the Heisman this year. Of course none of these players are going to be clear cut picks, but neither was Cam Newton at this time last year. That is why they are labeled Dark Horse. These are players that were not included in the early 2011 Heisman Trophy Watch Betting-Odds List but still play a big role in their team's gameplan.

Geno Smith QB, West Virginia Wow looking at West Virginia's schedule and results from last year makes you wonder why this guy wasn't on everyone's watch list. Holy Cow! His line isn't bad. QB Rating of 144, 2,763yds, 24 TDS. Only 7 INTS. The only 3 losses during the regular season last year were to LSU by 6 points, Syracuse by 5 points, and UConn by 3 points. He's an exciting, yet very efficient quarterback, and better yet he's only a Sophomore!

Stephen Garcia QB, South Carolina This is one of my favorite quarterbacks this year (I'm a South Carolina fan in case you didn't know) but his statistics were not too bad at all last year. QB Rating of 148, 3,059yds, and 20 TDS. He lead the Gamecocks with victories over Southern Miss, Georgia, Alabama, Florida, and a victory over their biggest rival Clemson. He popped up in a few polls early last season earning himself some Heisman buzz. The Gamecocks return a ferocious defense as well as a developing young, but powerful offensive. Garcia joins two other possible Heisman candidates returning on offense as well. Look out SEC!

Robert Woods WR, Southern California Young, Talented, Great Hands. If you remember, he was the guy who caught for 224 yds/12 receptions/3TDS against one of the best teams in the nation, Stanford! In only his Freshman year he had 65 receptions for 794yds for 6 TDS. Not bad at all. The only thing holding this guy back is his youth, and the fact that he plays for Lane Kiffin, and new WR coach Ted Gilmore. Hmmmm..... (I don't even know if USC is allowed to win a Heisman given the sanctions placed on them. Guess I'll have to look into that.)

Edwin Baker RB, Michigan State This guy came on the scene last year where he split carries with a few other backs. His tough downhill running style and physical approach is awesome to watch. He seems to slip out of tackles brilliantly and is great at running up the gut. His stats don't lie. Last year he averages over 5.8 yds per carry. He knows how to find the endzone when in the redzone that's for sure. 13 TDS almost a TD in everygame. Rushed for over 1,200 yds on a Michigan State team whose only regular season loss came to Iowa. I think this guy is one of the best rushers if not the best in the Big Ten, arguably Top 10 in the country. He needs to be on the list.

Why are the following players so hyped?

Taylor Martinez QB, Nebraska I wouldn't quite label this guy a Dark Horse Heisman caliber yet. Even last year, when the media started to do it, I don't think I would have. The Nebraska fan base has bowed down to this kid almost directly because of all the attention put on him, yet he has yet to prove anything to anyone. He's garnered the All-American Freshman Honor, but is he capable of taking his team to the next level to be considered "Heisman Status". I don't think so. He will need to pull off a couple miracles and learn his position before I see this happening, honestly. Let's be real here. He's good.... and fun as hell to watch! But he's not that good. At least not yet. And he might not even be our starter.

Trent Richardson RB, Alabama - He plays for Alabama that could be why. He's not bad, but there is better.

Case Keenum QB, Houston - Destroys his crappy conference but can't beat a good team. ???

Greg Reid CB, Florida State - Seriously... a corner winning the Heisman? He's no Charles Woodsen

Why are the following players so hyped?

Trent Richardson RB, Alabama - He plays for Alabama that could be why. He's not bad, but there is better.

A LOT of folks have always said he was way more talented than Ingram injuries derailed that thought. He does play for Bama, a team that is committed to pounding the ball down your throat. This is not a suprise.

Greg Reid CB, Florida State - Seriously... a corner winning the Heisman?

Hey Charles Woodsen somehow won the damn thing

You could be right. But the kid was just a Freshman, he was injured half the season, he had an OC with half a foot out the door, and he had an O Line as porous as a sieve the latter half of the year. He made a LOT of mistakes. I was face-palming along with you for many, many games.

But for every bad thing he did, he did a good thing. That's a positive thing for a guy taking his first snaps at QB at the college level.

Maybe Taylor sucks this year. Maybe he gets benched, maybe he doesn't even start at QB. But maybe he was just an injured Freshman, and he'll get better.

At this point it's as fair to say one as the other. Call me a hopeless kool-aid drinker, but I'll put my faith in Bo over my own angst, or anyone else's.

I work for a phone company. I locate and build micro wave tower sites. I could not do my job well with a sprained ankle or turf toe. Most likely would not even try. How many of you take a day off from work with a cold or the flu?.

I worked for about two months with a pulled quad muscle does that count?

The thing that can't be disputed is that nearly everyone on this board that believes Taylor Martinez is (the future, great, outstanding) includes one of the following statements in their posts:

1. .....is a freshman

2. .....was hurt

3. .....offensive coordinator

4. .....blocking scheme

Those that aren't sold on Taylor make statements like 'X' happened in 'Y' game....which would be a fact. They are then countered with opinions on any of the 4 items mentioned previously.

Anyone one of this may/may not be a factor in is struggles/successes. I agree that calling out a 'kid's' character is not the right avenue, but I still believe we have no idea what we have at QB. It sure would make things a lot easier if Taylor was the guy, but I'll believe it come Fall.