[Video] Martinez speaks to media

Nexus

Folks, stop it. Just stop. You're literally picking through Martinez's interview, gleaning every possible meaning that is or isn't there. The truth of the matter is, this is a teenage surfer dude. You're going to learn as much from listening to his interview as you do from asking your teenager how his/her days was.

As far as his leadership qualities, you can't learn anything about that from watching this interview, and even if you could, I'm of the opinion that you need great leaders all over the team to have a national championship team, not just at QB. Tommie Frazier and Scott Frost were leaders, but they weren't THE leader of their teams. They were surrounded by Zach Wiegert and Grant Wistrom and Christian Peter and Jason Peter and Phil Ellis and Doug Colman and Mike Minter and Jared Tomich and Brendan Stai and Rob Zatechka. I mean, Tommie Frazier, as great as he was, wasn't even completely necessary to winning a national championship on those teams - we had perfectly capable Brook Berringer backing him up.

And as for the guy who asked, "Would you rather have Martinez or Tebow?" What difference does that make? Unless Tim Tebow is available to play for us next year, who cares? He's not on the team, Martinez is. If there's some other guy who's this stupendous leader and is going to carry the team on his shoulders like Tebow, then great, but I haven't seen him yet, and I'm not going to shun Martinez just because he isn't Tim Tebow. Frankly, I found Tebow to be one of the most obnoxious icons in college sports, and I'm glad that Martinez isn't like him.

I would direct you to a map, so you can find out where Corona is. It about as likely he's a surfer dude (whatever the he'll that means) as a backwards ass cattle rancher cousin marrying tool from Nebraska. Because that's what all Nebraskans are.

Watson hated by his players? Now that's getting a bit imaginative.

Look, all I am saying is there seems to be a lack of ownership for last season's failures. Rather than "We did bad last year, we have to execute and do everything better this year", which maybe there's a little of, but it's marred by a steady dose of "Yea we had some problems last year, but that was that offense, and it should all be gone now tht it's different."

First, I don't think I ever said "hated," and if I did, I take it back. But I do think the players resented Watson's offense. And I think there is a difference between "hating" a coach and disliking his scheming. It wouldn't surprise me in the least to learn that Watson was liked by his players as a person, yet at the same time, that those players began to resent his play calling. Indeed, isn't this the way Bo feels about Watson? Like him as a man and a fellow coach, but hated the product he put out on the field. In my experience, this is all too common in the professional world.

The real sad part is that the past 7 years have been, by and large, so dismal that an otherwise terrible offense is regarded as "not too bad" by many. But I think the next two years will shine a big ol' spotlight on just how depraved we've been and how ineffective Watson was as an OC.

Folks, stop it. Just stop. You're literally picking through Martinez's interview, gleaning every possible meaning that is or isn't there. The truth of the matter is, this is a teenage surfer dude. You're going to learn as much from listening to his interview as you do from asking your teenager how his/her days was.

As far as his leadership qualities, you can't learn anything about that from watching this interview, and even if you could, I'm of the opinion that you need great leaders all over the team to have a national championship team, not just at QB. Tommie Frazier and Scott Frost were leaders, but they weren't THE leader of their teams. They were surrounded by Zach Wiegert and Grant Wistrom and Christian Peter and Jason Peter and Phil Ellis and Doug Colman and Mike Minter and Jared Tomich and Brendan Stai and Rob Zatechka. I mean, Tommie Frazier, as great as he was, wasn't even completely necessary to winning a national championship on those teams - we had perfectly capable Brook Berringer backing him up.

And as for the guy who asked, "Would you rather have Martinez or Tebow?" What difference does that make? Unless Tim Tebow is available to play for us next year, who cares? He's not on the team, Martinez is. If there's some other guy who's this stupendous leader and is going to carry the team on his shoulders like Tebow, then great, but I haven't seen him yet, and I'm not going to shun Martinez just because he isn't Tim Tebow. Frankly, I found Tebow to be one of the most obnoxious icons in college sports, and I'm glad that Martinez isn't like him.

I would direct you to a map, so you can find out where Corona is. It about as likely he's a surfer dude (whatever the he'll that means) as a backwards ass cattle rancher cousin marrying tool from Nebraska. Because that's what all Nebraskans are.

Corona is about 50 miles outside of Los Angeles, and it's about an hours drive to the beach. I don't know why you think geography would make it less likely that he is a surfer. He could be a backwards ass cattle rancher marrying tool and a surfer, for that matter.

That said, I have no idea whether he's a surfer or not, I was simply making a point that he is an awkward teenager who is not comfortable in front of the media, and that people are digging through his language as if he's a masterful politician with a bunch of messages hidden between his words. The truth of the matter is that he is awkward in front of the media, he speaks in fragments and incomplete sentences, and he's not giving that much thought to what he is saying.

Can someone please dig up a Tommie Frazier interview when he was a freshman/sophomore? Now those were painful interviews to watch/listen to...

And now that reality has come back into the room, I'll keep it rolling.

Honors & Awards

* First-Team Freshman All-American (Rivals.com)

* Second-Team Freshman All-American (CollegeFootballNews.com)

* Big 12 Offensive Freshman of the Year (Coaches, Rivals.com)

* Big 12 Offensive Newcomer of the Year (AP, Dallas Morning News, Kansas City Star, San Antonio News-Express, Fort Worth Star-Telegram)

* Honorable-Mention All-Big 12 (Coaches, AP)

* Davey O’Brien National Quarterback Award Semifinalist (1 of 16)

* Maxwell Award Semifinalist (1 of 16)

* Manning Award Midseason Watch List Addition

* Walter Camp National Player of the Week (Oct. 23 at Oklahoma State)

* Four-Time Rivals.com National Freshman of the Week (WKU, UW, KSU, OSU)

* Two-Time Big 12 Offensive Player of the Week (at Kansas State, at Oklahoma State)

* School Record Single-Game Rushing Yards by a Quarterback (241 at Kansas St., Oct. 7)

Sophomore quarterback Taylor Martinez is the leading candidate to engineer Nebraska’s new-look offensive attack under offensive coordinator Tim Beck. Martinez was one of the breakout stars in college football as a redshirt freshman in 2010. The California native shattered numerous Nebraska freshman records, while challenging several other Husker quarterback records.

Martinez’s lightning-quick running ability makes him a home-run threat as a runner. He amassed better than 950 rushing yards and 12 rushing touchdowns in 2010, while averaging better than six yards per carry. Martinez fell just short of becoming the third freshman quarterback in NCAA history to rush for 1,000 yards. He has also posted the top five single-game rushing efforts ever for a Nebraska freshman quarterback and his 241 rushing yards at Kansas State were an NU quarterback record.

The 6-1, 205-pound Martinez also showed his passing skills in 2010, throwing for a Nebraska freshman record 1,631 yards and 10 touchdowns, while completing better than 59 percent of his passes. Martinez accounted for 2,596 yards of total offense, the sixth-best mark in school history and tops among Nebraska freshmen.

The play of Martinez was recognized on the conference and national levels. He was chosen as the Big 12 Offensive Newcomer of the Year, and was also an honorable-mention all-conference selection. He was also the only freshman among 16 semifinalists for the Davey O’Brien Quarterback Award, and was also a semifinalist for the Maxwell Award.

Martinez is back at full strength this spring after an ankle injury suffered in late October hampered him for the final two months of the 2010 season. He did not play quarterback in two games because of the injury and was hobbled in several other contests.

2010 (Redshirt Freshman)

Martinez started 12 of 14 games at quarterback and threatened numerous Nebraska freshman and quarterback records. His play earned Martinez Big 12 Offensive Newcomer-of-the-Year honors, and he was an honorable-mention all-league choice.

Martinez became the first-ever NU freshman to start a season opener at quarterback, and immediately showed his ability against Western Kentucky. He rushed for 127 yards and three touchdowns on seven carries, including a 46-yard TD on his first carry. His 127 yards represented the first 100-yard rushing day by a Husker QB since 2003, and his three TDs were the most by a NU freshman in a season opener. He also passed for 136 yards for 263 yards of total offense.

Martinez had 263 yards of total offense against Idaho, including 157 rushing yards, the highest for an NU freshman since 1996. He added touchdown runs of 67 and 20 yards against the Vandals. Martinez burst onto the national scene at Washington, earning Big 12 and national freshman-of-the-week honors after leading Nebraska to a 56-21 win. He accounted for 287 yards of total offense, the most ever by a Husker rookie QB, completing 7-of-11 passes for 150 yards and a touchdown. He also eclipsed the 100-yard rushing mark for the third straight game, going for 137 yards and three scores on 19 carries, scoring on runs of 80, 1 and 1 yards. His 80-yard run on the first play of the second half was the longest ever by a Husker freshman.

Martinez totaled 215 yards of total offense against South Dakota State, then made another national statement in a Thursday night win at Kansas State. Martinez guided a Nebraska offense that set a school record by averaging 11.288 yards per play (587 yards on 52 snaps) in a 48-13 win. He was named Big 12 Offensive Player of the Week and the Rivals. com National Freshman of the Week for the second time for his performance.

Martinez broke Nebraska records for total offense by a freshman (369 yards, previous record 294 by Calvin Jones at Kansas in 1991) and rushing yards by a quarterback (241 yards, previous record was 234 by Jammal Lord vs. Texas in 2002) in the win. His 241 rushing yards were the ninth-best total in school history and the most by any Husker since 1991. He also ran for four scores, including another 80-yard touchdown. Martinez completed 5-of-7 passes for 128 yards, including a 79-yard pass to Kyler Reed, the longest pass play by a Husker since 2002 and the ninth-longest pass play in school history.

Martinez made a mark in the record books as a passer at Oklahoma State. In a 51-41 win, he threw for 323 yards and five touchdowns, and became the first player in NU history to pass for 300 yards and rush for 100 in the same game. He was named National Offensive Player of the Week by the Walter Camp Foundation and Big 12 Freshman of the Week for his effort. His 435 yards of total offense ranked third on the NU single-game chart, and he established career highs in attempts (35), completions (23), passing yards (323) and touchdowns (5), setting Husker freshman marks in all four categories.

Martinez guided Nebraska to 24 first-half points in a 31-17 win over Missouri before suffering an ankle injury that sidelined him for the second half. He completed 6-of-9 passes for 115 yards and a 40-yard touchdown to Kyler Reed, helping NU total 256 yards of offense in the opening quarter.

Martinez lined up for one play at receiver in a win at Iowa State, then returned to the lineup at quarterback and accounted for 238 yards of offense in a 20-3 win over Kansas. At Texas A&M, Martinez completed 11-of-17 passes for 107 yards. He also rushed 11 times for 17 yards, but was again sidelined by injury, and did not play against Colorado.

He passed for 143 yards in NUs Big 12 Championship Game loss to Oklahoma, then threw for 53 yards and his 10th touchdown in the Holiday Bowl against Washington.

Nuff said.

• Fire 2

Can someone please dig up a Tommie Frazier interview when he was a freshman/sophomore? Now those were painful interviews to watch/listen to...

And now that reality has come back into the room, I'll keep it rolling.

Honors & Awards

* First-Team Freshman All-American (Rivals.com)

* Second-Team Freshman All-American (CollegeFootballNews.com)

* Big 12 Offensive Freshman of the Year (Coaches, Rivals.com)

* Big 12 Offensive Newcomer of the Year (AP, Dallas Morning News, Kansas City Star, San Antonio News-Express, Fort Worth Star-Telegram)

* Honorable-Mention All-Big 12 (Coaches, AP)

* Davey O’Brien National Quarterback Award Semifinalist (1 of 16)

* Maxwell Award Semifinalist (1 of 16)

* Manning Award Midseason Watch List Addition

* Walter Camp National Player of the Week (Oct. 23 at Oklahoma State)

* Four-Time Rivals.com National Freshman of the Week (WKU, UW, KSU, OSU)

* Two-Time Big 12 Offensive Player of the Week (at Kansas State, at Oklahoma State)

* School Record Single-Game Rushing Yards by a Quarterback (241 at Kansas St., Oct. 7)

Sophomore quarterback Taylor Martinez is the leading candidate to engineer Nebraska’s new-look offensive attack under offensive coordinator Tim Beck. Martinez was one of the breakout stars in college football as a redshirt freshman in 2010. The California native shattered numerous Nebraska freshman records, while challenging several other Husker quarterback records.

Martinez’s lightning-quick running ability makes him a home-run threat as a runner. He amassed better than 950 rushing yards and 12 rushing touchdowns in 2010, while averaging better than six yards per carry. Martinez fell just short of becoming the third freshman quarterback in NCAA history to rush for 1,000 yards. He has also posted the top five single-game rushing efforts ever for a Nebraska freshman quarterback and his 241 rushing yards at Kansas State were an NU quarterback record.

The 6-1, 205-pound Martinez also showed his passing skills in 2010, throwing for a Nebraska freshman record 1,631 yards and 10 touchdowns, while completing better than 59 percent of his passes. Martinez accounted for 2,596 yards of total offense, the sixth-best mark in school history and tops among Nebraska freshmen.

The play of Martinez was recognized on the conference and national levels. He was chosen as the Big 12 Offensive Newcomer of the Year, and was also an honorable-mention all-conference selection. He was also the only freshman among 16 semifinalists for the Davey O’Brien Quarterback Award, and was also a semifinalist for the Maxwell Award.

Martinez is back at full strength this spring after an ankle injury suffered in late October hampered him for the final two months of the 2010 season. He did not play quarterback in two games because of the injury and was hobbled in several other contests.

2010 (Redshirt Freshman)

Martinez started 12 of 14 games at quarterback and threatened numerous Nebraska freshman and quarterback records. His play earned Martinez Big 12 Offensive Newcomer-of-the-Year honors, and he was an honorable-mention all-league choice.

Martinez became the first-ever NU freshman to start a season opener at quarterback, and immediately showed his ability against Western Kentucky. He rushed for 127 yards and three touchdowns on seven carries, including a 46-yard TD on his first carry. His 127 yards represented the first 100-yard rushing day by a Husker QB since 2003, and his three TDs were the most by a NU freshman in a season opener. He also passed for 136 yards for 263 yards of total offense.

Martinez had 263 yards of total offense against Idaho, including 157 rushing yards, the highest for an NU freshman since 1996. He added touchdown runs of 67 and 20 yards against the Vandals. Martinez burst onto the national scene at Washington, earning Big 12 and national freshman-of-the-week honors after leading Nebraska to a 56-21 win. He accounted for 287 yards of total offense, the most ever by a Husker rookie QB, completing 7-of-11 passes for 150 yards and a touchdown. He also eclipsed the 100-yard rushing mark for the third straight game, going for 137 yards and three scores on 19 carries, scoring on runs of 80, 1 and 1 yards. His 80-yard run on the first play of the second half was the longest ever by a Husker freshman.

Martinez totaled 215 yards of total offense against South Dakota State, then made another national statement in a Thursday night win at Kansas State. Martinez guided a Nebraska offense that set a school record by averaging 11.288 yards per play (587 yards on 52 snaps) in a 48-13 win. He was named Big 12 Offensive Player of the Week and the Rivals. com National Freshman of the Week for the second time for his performance.

Martinez broke Nebraska records for total offense by a freshman (369 yards, previous record 294 by Calvin Jones at Kansas in 1991) and rushing yards by a quarterback (241 yards, previous record was 234 by Jammal Lord vs. Texas in 2002) in the win. His 241 rushing yards were the ninth-best total in school history and the most by any Husker since 1991. He also ran for four scores, including another 80-yard touchdown. Martinez completed 5-of-7 passes for 128 yards, including a 79-yard pass to Kyler Reed, the longest pass play by a Husker since 2002 and the ninth-longest pass play in school history.

Martinez made a mark in the record books as a passer at Oklahoma State. In a 51-41 win, he threw for 323 yards and five touchdowns, and became the first player in NU history to pass for 300 yards and rush for 100 in the same game. He was named National Offensive Player of the Week by the Walter Camp Foundation and Big 12 Freshman of the Week for his effort. His 435 yards of total offense ranked third on the NU single-game chart, and he established career highs in attempts (35), completions (23), passing yards (323) and touchdowns (5), setting Husker freshman marks in all four categories.

Martinez guided Nebraska to 24 first-half points in a 31-17 win over Missouri before suffering an ankle injury that sidelined him for the second half. He completed 6-of-9 passes for 115 yards and a 40-yard touchdown to Kyler Reed, helping NU total 256 yards of offense in the opening quarter.

Martinez lined up for one play at receiver in a win at Iowa State, then returned to the lineup at quarterback and accounted for 238 yards of offense in a 20-3 win over Kansas. At Texas A&M, Martinez completed 11-of-17 passes for 107 yards. He also rushed 11 times for 17 yards, but was again sidelined by injury, and did not play against Colorado.

He passed for 143 yards in NUs Big 12 Championship Game loss to Oklahoma, then threw for 53 yards and his 10th touchdown in the Holiday Bowl against Washington.

Nuff said.

We all know you have a man-crush on Taylor.

Corona is about 50 miles outside of Los Angeles, and it's about an hours drive to the beach. I don't know why you think geography would make it less likely that he is a surfer. He could be a backwards ass cattle rancher marrying tool and a surfer, for that matter.

That said, I have no idea whether he's a surfer or not, I was simply making a point that he is an awkward teenager who is not comfortable in front of the media, and that people are digging through his language as if he's a masterful politician with a bunch of messages hidden between his words. The truth of the matter is that he is awkward in front of the media, he speaks in fragments and incomplete sentences, and he's not giving that much thought to what he is saying.

As a native of Southern California, I can attest that Martinez's speech is absolutely inline with the norm around here for young people. There are many who have that sort of laid-back, surfer accent/speech pattern. It is absolutely not a predictor of the speaker's intelligence, though it often makes them sound less intelligent.

And no, that speech pattern is not limited to the coastal communities. You will find it throughout San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange, and Riverside Counties. (Corona is in Riverside County, for what it's worth, which is a bit east of Orange and Los Angeles County and north of San Diego County. But it's all the same.)

We all know you have a man-crush on Taylor.

Or alternatively, what kind of dip-sh!t doesn't recognize how awesome this kid was last season for a damn freshman?

Judging by the NU presser I posted above, T.M.'s freshman season = "all-time awesome" status, even with that injury. Anybody with $.02 football dollars rolling around upstairs has got to see it.

Get a grip, cause it's gonna be a hell of a ride. But don't take my word for it, do some math.

Given: Beck > Watson

Let:T.M. as a sophmore = T.M. as a freshman * 3/2

Let: OC = OC^2 due to overall impact.

Let: Beck = OC

Let: Blackshirts = Blackshirts + 1 (due to returning proven starters)

All other values are assumed to be constant.

(Blackshirts + 1) + (T.M.* 3/2) * (Beck > Watson)^2 = BCS in '11/'12

React.

• Fire 1

I sometimes wonder if he's got a disorder like Asperger's Syndrome. I don't really know that much about it to know how well the symptoms match. Just wondering if that's an explanation for how he appears.

I know a bit about Aspergers and I don't think it is the case w/him, if he had it I doubt he would be able to pull of college and starting QB. Folks can do well with Aspregers but I think it would intervene in some fashion given the complexity of life for a college athlete at this level.

Remember when Bo took the mic as head coach for the first time, he was nervous, and he didn't always choose the best words. Look how far he has come since then. An interview shows no correlation to how good of a football player/coach is on the field or in the locker room with teammates.

Quiet leadership on the otherhand does work. Leading by example instead of words is a great form of leadership and was one thing Suh did very well. I think our team is full of players with that same form of quiet leadership. I think those are the type of players our coaching staff looks for when recruiting. Of course, at times, they need to step up and say things... but no one wants a team full of Terrell Owens'.

As long as they are out on the field producing, I have no problem with what they look like in an interview.

I was thinking the other day how similar Bo and Taylor are. Cut from the same cloth, both short, quick answers, awkward at times. Will we see Taylor become more like bo as he goes on. I think that is strong possibility. As he develops confidence, security he will display more leadership capacity.