Iowa game

Agreed. I think that Caven is a good guy, but this is one of the major disconnects between Nebraska and Iowa. When Iowa fans boast, we don't care, but when we boast, Iowa fans consider us to be the cockiest, filthiest bunch of SOBs to walk on God's green earth.

Nebraska fans know that it is not the 90's anymore, but we look back fondly on that time. It was unreal, a great, great run. We deserved to be cocky and conceited back then, because, well, we were IT. And this is where Iowa fan does not get it.....we want to be back there, we want to be that team, that program again, and we know what it feels like to be THAT. To us, anything less is "substandard." Frankly, no other team has had the sort of run that Nebraska had during that time, so no other team can understand those expectations, whether they are warranted or not. Realistically we will never do that again, but like it or not, the bar is set much higher at Nebraska than it is most places.

But in the meantime, we wait. We wait through average but nice 9 and 10 win seasons. We wait and hope for something more. Will we see it, who knows, but we can hope and dream, right? Or is that only reserved for the Iowas and Missouris of the world?

Edit: I find it very hypocrital of Iowa fan that when Husker fans are optimistic about the next game or season, we are cocky, insufferable, and living in the 90's, but when any other team is optimistic, well, they are just optimistic. That is the epitome of an inferiority complex, Iowa fan.

Yes, yes you did. I envy you that run that you guys had - it was an amazing run that was happening while I was in college and suffering through the mediocrity of Texas bowl game after Texas bowl game and having the honor of being the first class at Iowa in 20 years who never got to experience the Rose Bowl. It caused me to build up just a little resentment towards you guys and I would guess I was not alone in that. Marrying into a Big Red family who hold season tickets combined with your move to the Big 10 has allowed me to put those feelings to rest (I didn't want to be too ostrasized at family dinners). Again as I stated above, it isn't the optimism but rather the contempt that causes the annoyance.

It is comments like

"I believe the general chaos evidenced in the hickeye futball program since the announcement of the NU + B1G merger, and the loud unwarranted talking from that corner, revolves around panic felt all the way to the top of the program considering the very real, and very likely, possibility that hickeye football is on the verge of being banished to the wastebasket of football relevancy...in their own state...by the hated and very successful program next door."

and

"This isn't even going to be a rivalry. Let me repeat: Iowa is NOT our rival. Our only true rival will ever be is Oklahoma. Maybe in 20-30 years Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State will become our "true rival" due to their success and history. "

are what causes the annoyance and the comments about living in the 90s. That isn't optimism for the upcoming season, that is just something that I would expect from a Michigan fan.

It is comments like

"I believe the general chaos evidenced in the hickeye futball program since the announcement of the NU + B1G merger, and the loud unwarranted talking from that corner, revolves around panic felt all the way to the top of the program considering the very real, and very likely, possibility that hickeye football is on the verge of being banished to the wastebasket of football relevancy...in their own state...by the hated and very successful program next door."

and

"This isn't even going to be a rivalry. Let me repeat: Iowa is NOT our rival. Our only true rival will ever be is Oklahoma. Maybe in 20-30 years Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State will become our "true rival" due to their success and history. "

are what causes the annoyance and the comments about living in the 90s. That isn't optimism for the upcoming season, that is just something that I would expect from a Michigan fan.

I'm not sure where you got those quotes, but I'm pretty sure you didn't get them from me, so I can't say much about them.

As far as who our "true rival" will be, a team cannot just decide who their rival will be. CU, KSU, and Mizzou all tried (and failed) to make us their rival, but it takes time and tradition to make a true rival, that is why OU WAS our "true" rival, in our opinion. From OU's standpoint, OSU and texa$$ are their most hated rivals, but they were what we wanted to be back in the 50's, 60's and mid 70's-80's. The NU/OU game normally decided who was the Big 8 champion, and often times had national championship implications. It meant more than those other so-called rivalries.

If Iowa is the one team that annually stands in our way of conference and national titles, then a true rivalry it will become. I don't think that you will, but only time will tell.

It is comments like

and

Sometimes, the truth hurts. Fact: Iowa is a 2nd or 3rd rate program. Fact: NU is top shelf all the way. Most wins since 1970. Its not just the 90's, chief, its the 70's, 80's, 90's AND the damn 2000's, and that in spite of being subjected to 4 years of quite possibly the worst coaching in the history of college football(considering the institution), which continued in some form on the offensive side of the ball until last season....and that lingering stench of mediocrity has finally been febreezed entirely.

Seriously, iowa fan, know your place in the pecking order. Nothing wrong with being optimistic/hopeful, but temper that bravado with respect for the bigger, badder dog, based on actual events that have happened on the field, not hyperbole.

This rivalry will be cordial for approximately two blinks of an eyelid.

EZ-E...the second I saw that video of the Iowa-Missou game I just knew that a diligent fellow Huskerboard member would post the appropriate reply. You did not disappoint.

Iowa fan...c'mon! Admit it! You're obsessed with us already. You know it. We know it. And hey...nobody blames you. We just can't reciprocate the adulation because we've got too much going on. But we'll hold a special place for you. It's nice. Ask Rickey Neuheisel about it. I think he's got a condo there, or at least he used to.

I can't wait for this game. Bad blood = Good football games. There's some bad blood here, clearly. It's just going to EXPLODE next year.

I tried looking it up and had no luck, I beleive Iowa's D has ranked in the top 20 six times since 2001. I am unsure of the Huskers ( I know they have had some good years). So on what facts is Iowa a "2nd or 3rd rate" program?

I have seen alot of comments on here about playing Wiskey and have seen some respect given to them. Did you know Wiskey WAS our rival? The series goes 42-41-2. with Bucky leading us by one, which could have gone either way last year and was one heck of a game.

So my conclusion is #1 since we wont be playing Bucky this year, you all are going to have to do, after all you took their place. #2 If it's not going to be a rivalry then why all the smack talk from our newest team? Seems like that is saved for rivals. As I stated Iowa has a good reason to make Herbie our newest rival, he bumped Bucky off our schedule.

Now OK is (was) your rival with the series going 38-45-3 with them leading, so you can surly see why we loved playing Bucky. Put the shoe on the other foot and see how it feels. I miss those games against Wiskey already, but I am confident the Huskers will provide enough talent, both coaching and player wise to hopefully fill Buckys shoes, after all thats all any of us want, no matter what side your on, is for a good game.

I just can't get into a "rivalry" with Iowa. It's different for the folks who live on the Iowa/Nebraska border, probably, or for those fans of either team living in the other state. For me, and (I presume) for most of us who don't have constant contact with Iowegians, there's no extra interest in the game. It's just another game, like Colorado was to me.

Like CU, I see nothing about Iowa that I am envious of. I see nothing they've done, ever, that makes me wish Nebraska was like them, or that would in any way make me compare Nebraska to them, any more than I would compare Nebraska to CU, or to KU, or to Minnesota, or to Northwestern. None of those teams are Nebraska's peers. None of them have programs like ours, none of them have the national impact like ours, none of them are part of the national consciousness like ours.

There was once a billboard on I-180 heading into downtown, right next to the stadium, that said, "Every program has history. Few have Tradition." That's where Nebraska is separated from Iowa, Colorado, Minnesota, and the rest – their tradition of excellence. Nebraska's natural peers in the Big 10 are Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State. All three rank in the top ten wins all-time. All three have Heisman Trophy winners. All three have national championships. All three have thirty or more bowl victories. All three are, along with Nebraska, pillars of college football.

Where is Iowa on those lists? One claimed national championship (to which LSU holds the rightful claim), one deserving Heisman Trophy winner, more than 200 fewer wins, a smattering of conference championships, and little sustained success. That is NOT to say that Iowa in any way is a bad college football team – they most certainly are not. There is absolutely nothing wrong with Iowa football, and as a member of the Big 10 they have every right to hold their heads high, to be proud of their well-earned place in their conference, and to be viewed as valued, respected members. But in no way is Iowa football comparable to the sustained excellence of Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan or Nebraska.

The games which will mean the most to me in the Big 10 are always going to be the matchups against Ohio State, against Michigan, and against Penn State. Iowa, Minnesota, Illinois, Purdue, Michigan State – I expect these to be tough, well-fought games, sure. But they won't be any different, to me, than playing Missouri, Iowa State, Kansas State, Texas A&M, Oklahoma State, Colorado, or Texas Tech. Iowa will beat us once in a while. I expect the norm to be Nebraska wins with here and there a few Hawkeye victories. But over the next 30 years, it won't be Iowa who we're vying with for the conference title, it won't be Iowa on whom the season hinges. It'll be the traditional powers that have built programs of continued excellence, and it always will be.

• Fire 2

I tried looking it up and had no luck, I beleive Iowa's D has ranked in the top 20 six times since 2001. I am unsure of the Huskers ( I know they have had some good years). So on what facts is Iowa a "2nd or 3rd rate" program?

Depends on how you want to gauge first-rate, second-rate, whatever. Do you want to talk about all-time success? Number of wins? Conference championships, national championships, things like that? Do you want to talk about general national prestige, press coverage, respect by opponents? Do you want to talk about fan loyalty or overall interest in the program both locally and across the country? In every single category mentioned Nebraska far outstrips Iowa. As I said above, that doesn't make Iowa a bad program - they're not - it just means they're not on the same level as Nebraska. Surely you're not asserting they are, are you?

I have seen alot of comments on here about playing Wiskey and have seen some respect given to them. Did you know Wiskey WAS our rival? The series goes 42-41-2. with Bucky leading us by one, which could have gone either way last year and was one heck of a game.

Nebraska's ties with Wisconsin go back a few decades with Barry Alvarez, former Husker LB and long-time Wisky coach (now AD). Alvarez patterned his team after the great Nebraska teams of the 70s and 80s, and has always maintained cordial ties with Nebraska. He's one of us, he's definitely theirs, and that's going to fuel a great rivalry.

So my conclusion is #1 since we wont be playing Bucky this year, you all are going to have to do, after all you took their place. #2 If it's not going to be a rivalry then why all the smack talk from our newest team? Seems like that is saved for rivals. As I stated Iowa has a good reason to make Herbie our newest rival, he bumped Bucky off our schedule.

Meh. We seem to have quite a few Iowegian visitors at HB right now, which is why the conversation is going on, plus the fact that it appears that the Iowa fans aren't giving Nebraska much respect. I would guess that if Iowa Fan stopped talking about Iowa/Nebraska, that conversation would largely die down here.

Now OK is (was) your rival with the series going 38-45-3 with them leading, so you can surly see why we loved playing Bucky. Put the shoe on the other foot and see how it feels. I miss those games against Wiskey already, but I am confident the Huskers will provide enough talent, both coaching and player wise to hopefully fill Buckys shoes, after all thats all any of us want, no matter what side your on, is for a good game.

Rivalries are not just made. You can't take a bunch of wood and leaves slap them together and call it a tree. Rivalries, like trees, have to grow out of a convergence of the right conditions. If, after several years of Iowa thwarting Nebraska's conference or national championship plans, only to see the Hawkeyes finish their season with the success Nebraska strove for, then we'll start to have a rivalry. But at the moment Iowa has nothing Nebraska wants, not prestige, not national spotlights, not championships, nothing. That's why there's no rivalry yet.

• Fire 1

Depends on how you want to gauge first-rate, second-rate, whatever. Do you want to talk about all-time success? Number of wins? Conference championships, national championships, things like that? Do you want to talk about general national prestige, press coverage, respect by opponents? Do you want to talk about fan loyalty or overall interest in the program both locally and across the country? In every single category mentioned Nebraska far outstrips Iowa. As I said above, that doesn't make Iowa a bad program - they're not - it just means they're not on the same level as Nebraska. Surely you're not asserting they are, are you?

Nebraska's ties with Wisconsin go back a few decades with Barry Alvarez, former Husker LB and long-time Wisky coach (now AD). Alvarez patterned his team after the great Nebraska teams of the 70s and 80s, and has always maintained cordial ties with Nebraska. He's one of us, he's definitely theirs, and that's going to fuel a great rivalry.

Meh. We seem to have quite a few Iowegian visitors at HB right now, which is why the conversation is going on, plus the fact that it appears that the Iowa fans aren't giving Nebraska much respect. I would guess that if Iowa Fan stopped talking about Iowa/Nebraska, that conversation would largely die down here.

Rivalries are not just made. You can't take a bunch of wood and leaves slap them together and call it a tree. Rivalries, like trees, have to grow out of a convergence of the right conditions. If, after several years of Iowa thwarting Nebraska's conference or national championship plans, only to see the Hawkeyes finish their season with the success Nebraska strove for, then we'll start to have a rivalry. But at the moment Iowa has nothing Nebraska wants, not prestige, not national spotlights, not championships, nothing. That's why there's no rivalry yet.

This.

Also, you will continue to be irrelevant until, at least, a UGAHawkeye reveals itself (I don't see this happening).

It is comments like

*Raises hand*

That's my quote from earlier in this thread.

Seriously dude, I am one of the most REALISTIC fans on this board and just about everything else in general about life. At least in my general, humble, life experience opinion. :P

I even criticized a few HUSKER FANS on here for LIVING in the 90s because some where upset that we weren't running a Wisconsin style offense and that "we should be running a Wisconsin style offense".

Tell me where I'm wrong. Where, anywhere, in that quote did I talk about living in the 90s? Tell me, anywhere, in that quote.

Hint: No where did I reference anything about the 90's in my quote.

Where did I state that Bobby Newcombe is going to battle with Eric Crouch for the starting quarterback job and that Frank Solich is a 2nd year head coach and we have Charlie McBride as our defensive coordinator? Tell me where I said anything about DeAngelo Evans being kicked off from the football team. Tell me, anywhere in that quote, where I said Nebraska is coming off of a National Championship from 2 years ago and we are the favorites to win the Big XII and the National Championship. Tell me where I said anything about Carl Crawford signing a Letter of Intent to play for Nebraska but opting to go into professional baseball instead? Tell me, because it's 1999 apparently, which would make me only 12 years old, where I stated "I can't wait to go to Iowa City and show those Hawkeyes how National Championship caliber football is played because a few years ago we just came off 60-3, 3 National Championships, two back to back, one should-be Heisman winner, an offensive line that never gave up a sack, and the greatest college football team ever....and because of those reasons is why we win! I bet we smack them around 42-07 as well!" :LOLtartar:koolaid2:

The Iowa game could very well come down to injuries. But those are part of the game, they happen at all levels, not just the Big Ten more frequently than anywhere else. I seem to remember our offense being dinged up in 2009 and our freak athlete quarterback being hurt last year too that had implications on how our offense performed. But injuries only happen in the B1G because of the "style" of football and happen no where else.

Iowa wasn't our rival in the 90's, the weren't our rival last decade and they aren't our rival now. Can they be? Of course they could be. But it takes time. Heck, Illinois, Purdue or Indiana could be our rival, there is about a .001% chance of that happeneing, but there is a chance.

Ohio State, Michigan and to a lesser extent, Penn State, has history that stacks up with ours, and Iowa doesn't. That isn't to say they are a crap football program and they won't do anything because they don't have the history like us.

What is wrong with admitting that? As an Iowa fan, sure, you can WANT to be like Nebraska, and that's great, set the bar high, god knows we do. But to get upset and say that quote is "living in the 90s'?"

Ummm.... :throw:rolleyes::moreinteresting

How can you say that my quote is living in the 90s? Seriously. What did I lie about? What was so wrong with what I said? Did I say "Because we had so much success in the 90s and Iowa is a crap football team, that we will steamroll them AND the Big Ten." When in fact, I agree the Big Ten can/should/and will be a meat grinder at times. I am critical of our offense because I have YET to see us put up any kind of points or sustained drives on a REAL defense. I am not going to be optimistic about our offense until they perform against Ohio State.

Oklahoma is our rival, rather we are in the Big XII, the Big Ten, or an Independent. I'm sorry, the truth hurts, Iowa isn't our rival, and it almost seems like that upsets you because you want it to be a natural rivalry. Rivalries aren't born in 1 year or 2 games, they take time to build, which is why Oklahoma, as of now, will only be our true rival. Could that change? Absolutely. But it will take a long time for a true rivalry like that to develop, regardless if it's in the Big Ten or a non-conference game.

In fact, I think winning the whole conference this year is a HUGE stretch for us. You wouldn't see me saying that in 1999 would you? Just given everything, the question marks on the offense, the offensive line, are we big enough on defense, we have to play against all new conference opponents, get adjusted to traveling to different places, and the fact we haven't won our actual conference out-right since 1999 [gee, there's that late 90s reference again, I guess all of us are living in the past] I am not picking us to win the conference, until we actually can show up against a defense with a pulse, and win a conference, then I can start predicting that. There's nothing wrong with being critical or optimistic AS LONG AS YOU DON'T HAVE HOMER GLASSES ON, which I certainly do not. Some on here do, some on here don't, and some opponents have homer glasses on. It happens. It's a feel good time of the year, so of course there will be optimism, but I keep my optimism to a minimum.

I call things like I see it, in everything I do, I call it how it really is. That's how I, and many Husker fans see it. We aren't sitting here saying "We are going to dominate our division or the conference because of OUR HISTORY." No, we are going to do well because we have a GREAT TEAM and a GREAT PROGRAM.

That's not to say we DON'T have a chance, because I think we do have as good of a chance as the best teams in the conference, but I'm not banking on it this year at least until I see improvements.

You wouldn't ever see me saying that in 1999, now would you?

Ok lets look at history, in the top 10, the B10 has 3 all time winningest programs, which Iowa has played for a hundred years (except State). B12 (not counting Nebraska, cuz you cant play yourself) has 2 (which if you go back to big 8 days, how many????). So if you want to comapare records, than atleast take into consideration who you were playing.

Also Historicly lets look at teams in general ( not just ones with great records),

" Ironically, Nebraska has quite a history playing Big Ten schools in football. It may come as a surprise that Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio State, Penn St., and Purdue all have winning records against the boys from Lincoln." AND "Nebraska holds a one-game lead over Wisconsin in their series, 3-2." So B1G had 11 teams or used to be 10, and 6 of those have winning records against you, with one looking to tie it up. I would therefore have to assume if you had been B1G for the last centery your record might not be as good as it is either. So I will say it AGAIN, the smugness and bravado is not only unwarrented and an insult to your new conference, it down right makes you look like a bunch of azzes.

Ok lets look at history, in the top 10, the B10 has 3 all time winningest programs, which Iowa has played for a hundred years (except State). B12 (not counting Nebraska, cuz you cant play yourself) has 2 (which if you go back to big 8 days, how many????). So if you want to comapare records, than atleast take into consideration who you were playing.

Also Historicly lets look at teams in general ( not just ones with great records),

" Ironically, Nebraska has quite a history playing Big Ten schools in football. It may come as a surprise that Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio State, Penn St., and Purdue all have winning records against the boys from Lincoln." AND "Nebraska holds a one-game lead over Wisconsin in their series, 3-2." So B1G had 11 teams or used to be 10, and 6 of those have winning records against you, with one looking to tie it up. I would therefore have to assume if you had been B1G for the last centery your record might not be as good as it is either. So I will say it AGAIN, the smugness and bravado is not only unwarrented and an insult to your new conference, it down right makes you look like a bunch of azzes.

What a cute post. Bravo on the all-time record numbers, nice job of leaving out the ones that don't support your point. You were pretty quick to point out how Nebraska leads Wisconsin 3-2, yet Michigan is only trailing Michigan by 3-2-1. Purdue leads the bitter Pur.-NU rivalry 1-0 after a legendary battle in 1958. Penn state only leads the series by one, 7-6. Ohio St. leads 2-0, and those two haven't met since the 50's either. Indiana leads the series by two games, 9-7-3, with the last game coming in 1978 (a 52 NU victory, btw).

Solid effort, but I'm going to assume you didn't look to deep into those records.

What a cute post. Bravo on the all-time record numbers, nice job of leaving out the ones that don't support your point. You were pretty quick to point out how Nebraska leads Wisconsin 3-2, yet Michigan is only trailing Michigan by 3-2-1. Purdue leads the bitter Pur.-NU rivalry 1-0 after a legendary battle in 1958. Penn state only leads the series by one, 7-6. Ohio St. leads 2-0, and those two haven't met since the 50's either. Indiana leads the series by two games, 9-7-3, with the last game coming in 1978 (a 52 NU victory, btw).

Solid effort, but I'm going to assume you didn't look to deep into those records.

Ok, theres my point exactly, you want to throw out those games, so be it. That takes care of what the 50's 60's and 70's, so where are you stuck then??? The 80's and 90's. Point made???? I wasnt the one who bought up all time winningest records now was I?

Ok, theres my point exactly, you want to throw out those games, so be it. That takes care of what the 50's 60's and 70's, so where are you stuck then??? The 80's and 90's. Point made???? I wasnt the one who bought up all time winningest records now was I?

Illinois (Iowa trails, 29-38-2) lulz

Kansas (Iowa trails, 4-6) lulz

Michigan (Iowa trails, 12-40-4) mega lulz

Ohio State (Iowa trails, 14-46-3) mega lulz

Purdue (Iowa trails, 33-45-3) lulz

Nebraska holds a one-game lead over Wisconsin in their series, 3-2."

Better than a no game lead

Wisconsin (series tied, 42-42-2)

Oh yeah

Nebraska (Iowa trails, 12-26-3) lulz

Souce: http://www.hawkeyesp...es-results.html