Brion Carnes and Jamal Turner

Joe Dailey had a great spring game.

So did Taylor Martinez.

In fact, that's the reason why you were all over him last year. The hypocrisy here is funny :)

You are right, of course, it's the Spring Game, but it's also our first glimpse at some of these RFr/Fr, to see what they are like. I wouldn't read too much into it. I think Taylor will start at first string; it's his job to lose, after all, as it should be. And he has a clear edge in experience. And he hasn't gotten any unapproved offseason surgeries either ;)

Haven't read anything apart from a few HB threads on the Spring Game, but it sounds like we have a promising group of young players at the skill positions on offense.

Uhhh, the big difference is Stevie Wonder could see the kid had insane acceleration. It's there or it's not and it certainly isn't something you see every day.

Of course, some posters I know would greatly prefer a slow, plodding qb who gets timed with a sun dial. But hey...to each their own! :corndance

So did Taylor Martinez.

In fact, that's the reason why you were all over him last year. The hypocrisy here is funny :)

You are right, of course, it's the Spring Game, but it's also our first glimpse at some of these RFr/Fr, to see what they are like. I wouldn't read too much into it. I think Taylor will start at first string; it's his job to lose, after all, as it should be. And he has a clear edge in experience. And he hasn't gotten any unapproved offseason surgeries either ;)

Haven't read anything apart from a few HB threads on the Spring Game, but it sounds like we have a promising group of young players at the skill positions on offense.

Uhhh, the big difference is Stevie Wonder could see the kid had insane acceleration. It's there or it's not and it certainly isn't something you see every day.

Of course, some posters I know would greatly prefer a slow, plodding qb who gets timed with a sun dial. But hey...to each their own! :corndance

Yes, Brion is so slow, it's honestly like watching paint dry. ;)

Playing in which offense?

Nebraska...

But are you referring to Solich's power I or Cali's West Coast? I still believe Dailey would been a different qb if he would've played in our old option offense

Oh, I agree with you. The kid had horrible luck getting recruited for a smashmouth offense and then we switched to fluffball. It's really sad but sometimes that's the breaks.

Anyway, I honestly wish Joe Dailey nothing but the best. I unfairly used him as a reference for how little SGs actually tell. I shouldn't have done that. My bad.....

Nebraska...

But are you referring to Solich's power I or Cali's West Coast? I still believe Dailey would been a different qb if he would've played in our old option offense

Oh, I agree with you. The kid had horrible luck getting recruited for a smashmouth offense and then we switched to fluffball. It's really sad but sometimes that's the breaks.

Anyway, I honestly wish Joe Dailey nothing but the best. I unfairly used him as a reference for how little SGs actually tell. I shouldn't have done that. My bad.....

Its all good, Sam Keller would have been a good example though

Nebraska...

Its all good, Sam Keller would have been a good example though

Sam Keller was a really good quarterback, are you implying that he did terrible in the spring game making us all think he sucked?

It's true. Keller was a pretty good QB, from his skills to his physical tools.

But by all accounts it seems he was considered a tool by most of the team, which means he didn't end up being that great of a player...although I don't think his stats were very bad, either.

Here is the thing with great spring game performances:

Some want to crown a guy after one game

Others want to throw the game out all together.

Here is my theory, if a guy shows up big in this game, you take it for what its worth but know that it is a good sign but isnt the be all end all.

Turner is young but this is a great start... Carnes, same deal.

• Fire 2

Here is the thing with great spring game performances:

Some want to crown a guy after one game

Others want to throw the game out all together.

Here is my theory, if a guy shows up big in this game, you take it for what its worth but know that it is a good sign but isnt the be all end all.

Turner is young but this is a great start... Carnes, same deal.

Exactly.

I remember hearing a certain AM radio personality say that "from everything he hears," Carnes didn't have a good mental handle on the game... Hopefully when I tune in this next week I hear him eat some crow.

8-11, 2 TDs, 140 yards with time still to go in the 2nd half.

ummm... Bo said after the scrimmage that even as basic as they were today, Carnes was still swimming in it... so yeah.

There's no denying that tmart looked like #2 today. Everyone preaches about how this game is about fundamentals. Taylors sucked today, as a continuation of last year. You can only give so much credit for his burst of speed to where you draw the line, he is a qb, that has to have accurate throws. Brion was throwing darts on the run at full speed today. I will reserve judgement til we get to the season. But what Brion did, and what Taylor ddidn't, was quite eye opening.

I think you guys are missing the point.

While it would be wrong to place too much stock on a big performance in the Spring Game, I don't think you can overemphasize a poor showing in the game.

It's not just that Carnes looked fantastic, it's that Carnes looked fantastic while Martinez and Green (especially Green) looked like ass. There is just no excuse for Green not to come out and hit his receivers perfectly, making crisp throws, good reads, etc. I wish we could put his attitude and work ethic in Taylor's body, because I'm afraid that Green's heart and attitude is wasted in his. (And it hurts me to say this.)

Martinez's relatively poor showing can probably be justified by his ankle injury, but the fact that he is still limited in April by an ankle he injured in October is not a good sign. There is a chance he is like an expensive sports car: Lots of fun when it runs, but in the shop far too often.

Green has a 0% chance of being the #2 QB on the roster, and I think there is a good chance that Taylor will get injured and lose his starting job to Carnes forever, thereby becoming the Tate Forcier to Carnes' Dennard Robinson.

I think you guys are missing the point.

While it would be wrong to place too much stock on a big performance in the Spring Game, I don't think you can overemphasize a poor showing in the game.

It's not just that Carnes looked fantastic, it's that Carnes looked fantastic while Martinez and Green (especially Green) looked like ass. There is just no excuse for Green not to come out and hit his receivers perfectly, making crisp throws, good reads, etc. I wish we could put his attitude and work ethic in Taylor's body, because I'm afraid that Green's heart and attitude is wasted in his. (And it hurts me to say this.)

Martinez's relatively poor showing can probably be justified by his ankle injury, but the fact that he is still limited in April by an ankle he injured in October is not a good sign. There is a chance he is like an expensive sports car: Lots of fun when it runs, but in the shop far too often.

Green has a 0% chance of being the #2 QB on the roster, and I think there is a good chance that Taylor will get injured and lose his starting job to Carnes forever, thereby becoming the Tate Forcier to Carnes' Dennard Robinson.

martinez said in post game he was pretty close to 100%. Im not buying the ankle injury anymore, thats just a lame excuse, the fans are making anymore. I dont think Taylor is using it has an excuse either. I wouldnt either put too much stock in how a guy like Carnes performed. But I do put stock in badly guys like Martinez and Green were, you would think this was would be a cakewalk for them.