Carnes Starter?

The only thing that bothers me about Taylor is his passing. I could care less about whether he pleases the fans or gives a good interview (or even speaks to the media at all, for that matter).

The Oklahoma State game was great to watch and I'm glad Taylor had an amazing game. But you have to look at the bigger picture and see that he isn't a FBS passer and yesterday certainly didn't change my mind on that. Regardless of who our OC is or what system they're running, we're gonna need to have a competent passing attack at times (against solid defenses) if we want Big 10 titles and BCS bowls and such.

If you say so.

I guess that's how TO/Frank won all the conference championships & NCs. Our Dan Marino clones like Frazier, Frost, Crouch, etc....yep, that had to be it.

TO was a rare offensive mind and our offensive lines during his heyday were among the best ever assembled. Not to mention Tenopir, Young, the S&C being a mile ahead of other programs, etc. Put Frazier, Frost or Crouch on this year's team and they aren't going to win 11+ games passing the ball 10-15 times a game like they did back then.

Well, the last time we won 11+ games was when we had an identity running the ball. Our "balanced" offense hasn't got us there yet in seven years....maybe it's time for a change.

No matter what offense we run, you have to have a solid and disciplined O-line be successful. We had that back then, but we haven't had it since.

If he's the best QB, then he'll show it on the field in, you know, an actual game.

So you think practice and scrimmages account for nothing? Ironic considering ONE scrimmage is what allowed an unproven and incredibly raw QB in Taylor Martinez to get the job you believe he should hold onto regardless.

But I guess Brion doesn't deserve the same opportunity that Taylor was given, eh?

I don't buy for one second that one scrimmage is what allowed Martinez to be named starter. I might have, if I was completely cynical about our coaching staff and didn't then see Martinez run for a 49 yard touchdown on his first carry, become a freshman all-american, have the best freshman QB season in Nebraska history, and lead Nebraska to its first victory over a top 10 team in about a decade. Furthermore, he looked better than any of our other QBs did in game situations for the entire time he was healthy.

If Brion wins the job, then great. But here's the difference between you and me - if Brion wins the job, I'm not going to crap on him for the rest of his career just because I liked the other guy. I'll trust the coaches' decision, I'll trust that Brion earned it, and I'll then wait to see him show why he was named the starter in an actual game. JUST like how I treated the decision to start Taylor last year.

Last year, I thought Lee would be the starter. When Martinez was named the starter, I was surprised, but I didn't have such a man-crush on Zac Lee that I held a grudge against Martinez for all time. I watched him play, and it became painfully obvious why he was named starter. He was a playmaker, unlike Lee or Green.

If Carnes gets named the starter, good for him. It's possible that it will happen, but I'll wait until I see Carnes in an actual game to start judging where he's at relative to Martinez.

• Fire 1

If he's the best QB, then he'll show it on the field in, you know, an actual game.

So you think practice and scrimmages account for nothing? Ironic considering ONE scrimmage is what allowed an unproven and incredibly raw QB in Taylor Martinez to get the job you believe he should hold onto regardless.

But I guess Brion doesn't deserve the same opportunity that Taylor was given, eh?

You earn your job. You don't keep it just because. If you are head and shoulders above the guy 'behind' you, then prove it.

"One" scrimmage did it? Where's the proof of that statement?

Carnes surpassed my expectations for playing in his first game in front of Husker nation. He showed no signs of nerves at all as I was expecting to see a few balls thrown in the dirt or above guys heads or even a possible interception. He did none of the above.

I love Taylor's speed, absolutely love it but going 4-13 for 52 yards and an interception was NOT what I was expecting to see from a guy who was our starter last year.

Carnes showed me potential and that's all I really wanted to see. I still think Taylor is and will be our starter but in all honesty unless he improves on the intangibles which could/may happen I'd love to see him on the field with the ball in his hands but just at another position ala Jamal Turner. Having said that in all fairness I'll give T-Mart his chance to show me he has improved on other aspects of the game from last year once our season starts. I want to see if he can actually stay healthy also.

If I were a mad scientist I would simply mold Taylor Martinez and Brion Carnes into one person. Then there would be no QB argument. lol

Let's just hope our offense is truly better this year no matter who the quarterback is.

:restore

• Fire 1
If I were a mad scientiest I would simply mold Taylor Martinez and Brion Carnes into one person.

Wouldn't that be nice? The good news is that it seems like Carnes has the potential to be that hybrid of himself and Martinez. All we can do is cross our fingers and hope he keeps developing. Or that Martinez becomes a much better passer. Either or.

I am not going to buy into the hype just b/c he played better than Cody and Taylor for 1 day.

One day, in a scrimmage, in August, made Taylor the starter. Before that, he was the 3rd QB on the team.

Unless he has been kicking their butts all spring..

He has. It wasn't just the spring game where Brion has looked like the best QB on our team.

....and you know all of this how? :bs:

We took a couple of early shots that exposed Texas with Taylor, but by and large he was completely shut down by Muschamp's defense. There was a reason he was replaced. We didn't connect on anything that day, but those guys had Taylor's number for the most part. Remember when Zac went in, the Texas defenders started saying to each other, "they're passing, they're passing!"

This has more to do with the awareness and sharpness of the QB than just the defense's athletic ability, in my opinion. It's why an elite DC like Muschamp could really hurt us and we had to count on the couple of chances we could surprise them, to grind out a victory.

I really wish people would stop with the Texas game. If our receivers had just shown they could catch the ball when it hit them in the hands, Texas would have had to respect our passing game and they would have backed off our running game. That would have opened up our running game, and they would have suffered the same fate as Kansas State before them. We wouldn't have needed to grind out a victory, we would have won by 30.

Yes, our WRs dropped some balls in that game, but to say that if those balls hadn't been dropped we win by 30? Whoa.

It's not like the Texas game was the only time his skills were questioned. How about when he was useless against SDSU, Missouri, aTm, and Oklahoma? The only reason people are singling out the UT game is because they were the most talented defense we played, and he was completely hapless against them. Besides Oklahoma, those other teams listed above had mediocre defenses; all they had to do was prepare correctly.

Yeah, he sure was terrible in quarter and a half where he went 6-9 for 115 yds and a TD right before he got injured.

I am not going to buy into the hype just b/c he played better than Cody and Taylor for 1 day.

One day, in a scrimmage, in August, made Taylor the starter. Before that, he was the 3rd QB on the team.

He has. It wasn't just the spring game where Brion has looked like the best QB on our team.

I'll disagree with you that it was a day in Aug that Taylor won the starting job. He pretty much had the thing won in Spring according to many of the coaches when you talked to them "off the record".

For those wanting to compare this year to last its completely different. Lee pretty much fell out of favor by doing surgery before spring ball and never really did get it back with the coaches. He didn't help himself by skipping drills that even though he couldn't participate in he needed to be there to help coach up the younger guys. He finally got the message and eventually showed his face to help out but it was kind of too little to late. My guess would be that if anything T-Mart had this in the back of his mind a little when he practiced almost all of spring rather than heal up. That being said. . knowing his competitive nature he probably would have wanted to try even if he was told to stay out of practice. I'm not exactly impressed with the medicle staff for the football team so I'm sure it would be rare to tell a kid to stay out anyway.

There shouldn't be any dispute. BC is considered a better all around QB even though he's not the best we have at anyone skill set as other QB's on the team. Sometimes that doesn't matter ala Joe Montana (and I'm not saying BC is a Montana). He isn't as good an althete nor does he understand the offense as well as he needs to. I'm not sure at which point the coaches will decide that a game manager is better than a game breaker.

Remember we saw about 30-40% off the offense on Saturday. It does happen to be the simpler things we're going to do and did not include any situational stuff.

....and you know all of this how? :bs:

Considering that Carnes is having a fairly tough time understanding the offense, I'm going with :bs: too...

In my opinion we should move Carnes to #2. Give CG a RS year and move him to another position like TE. No use burning another year of his eligibility if he will never see the field at the QB position.

If Carnes keeps working diligently I would imagine he'll be the second guy into games early on.

The game-changer would be if Starling rejected baseball and actually came to Nebraska. I would nearly guarantee a position switch for Cody in that circumstance, extremely unlikely though it is that Starling forgoes the draft.

In my opinion we should move Carnes to #2. Give CG a RS year and move him to another position like TE. No use burning another year of his eligibility if he will never see the field at the QB position.

I honestly think if Green ever makes a change it will be to defense.

I don't see Green as a defensive player for some reason but then again with the fumblitis he seems to have maybe that would be the only place for him. I have no idea if he can actually catch a ball or not but at this point I'd be open to finding out. LOL

I honestly think if Green ever makes a change it will be to defense.

I honestly think we may very well need every able-bodied QB before the end of this upcoming season. Don't be so quick to dismiss Green, he (or Carnes, or __________) may yet save the season.