Carnes Starter?

There are people who will not get behind Taylor Martinez, no matter what.

If T.M., at any point, is holding a crystal football above his head, every red-blooded Nebraskan will be behind him, or I'll eat my hat.

Feel free to replace "T.M." with "Bo" as applicable.

I don't know about that. People hold on to grudges pretty tight and long.

I still despise Crouch even after he won the heisman. While people put him up on a pedestal I see him as a disgrace and whats wrong with athletics today. Sure he's a very gifted athlete but I can't give a guy a pass for that reason alone.

This discussion feels just like the QB discussion in the spring of 2003. Jamal Lord was the despised starter who was more of a pure athlete than a QB. Joe Dailey was supposedly the better passer and therefore better QB. Agree or disagree?

Actually it feels like about every year. The second (or third or fourth) string QB is always better than the #1 and the most popular guy on the team. That is. . until he's the starter and makes a few bonehead moves.

If you look at the videos in the Brook Berringer thread, there was QB controversy heading into the 1995 season, after Tommie had just led us to the MNC.

What would be great, however, is if we have a similar "problem" to the 1995 season: We have two very good QBs who can both get the job done, and there's a legitimate discussion about who should be playing. While Tommie was clearly the better of the two, Berringer could easily have led us to the title in 1995.

We should be so lucky to have that kind of problem.

If you look at the videos in the Brook Berringer thread, there was QB controversy heading into the 1995 season, after Tommie had just led us to the MNC.

What would be great, however, is if we have a similar "problem" to the 1995 season: We have two very good QBs who can both get the job done, and there's a legitimate discussion about who should be playing. While Tommie was clearly the better of the two, Berringer could easily have led us to the title in 1995.

We should be so lucky to have that kind of problem.

That 1995 team was a completely different beast entirely though. The team was totally split on who the starting QB should be, had chemistry problems like crazy, not unlike what people say about last year's team, with different guys on the team backing one QB or another. The difference wasn't just that the 1995 team was more talented, but that they were just nasty. They wanted to kill you just to watch you die. There were always scuffles in practice, guys getting into fights, just constantly competing against each other. Then they'd get to Saturday, and it'd be piece of cake compared to practice.

I don't want the QB controversy from 1995 - I want the edge that the rest of that team had. With that team, it didn't matter which QB we had in, partially because they were both good, but mostly because the rest of the team was foaming at the mouth no matter what. THAT'S what I want back, minus the whole beating up their girlfriends stuff...

If T.M., at any point, is holding a crystal football above his head, every red-blooded Nebraskan will be behind him, or I'll eat my hat.

Tmart taking us to a NC would be the hater's biggest dilemma. They hate the kid with a huge passion but they love NCs even more. Much more. To their full credit it wouldn't take long before they jumped on the bandwagon. Same scenario with Bo. NU wins the NC and nobody is going to give a rat's ass how un-pc he is.

Yeah, I'd eat my hat if wrong about that too.

I am not going to buy into the hype just b/c he played better than Cody and Taylor for 1 day.

One day, in a scrimmage, in August, made Taylor the starter. Before that, he was the 3rd QB on the team.

Unless he has been kicking their butts all spring..

He has. It wasn't just the spring game where Brion has looked like the best QB on our team.

....and you know all of this how? :bs:

Considering that Carnes is having a fairly tough time understanding the offense, I'm going with :bs: too...

I'd have to agree with BigWillie here. Everything I have heard from people who are lucky enough to attend practices is that Martinez has had an unimpressive spring. I just hope Martinez can make a huge improvement in his passing and decision making, or Carnes gets the mental aspects of the offense down. We need a complete QB, or else we could see a repeat of last year.

Tmart taking us to a NC would be the hater's biggest dilemma. They hate the kid with a huge passion but they love NCs even more. Much more. To their full credit it wouldn't take long before they jumped on the bandwagon. Same scenario with Bo. NU wins the NC and nobody is going to give a rat's ass how un-pc he is.

First off Nebraska wont be going to the NC while Taylor is here. Its much harder to go undefeated now with scholarship limit rule. Plus with our schedule the next 2 years. Along with our shaky OLine, QB, and WR play, a NC appearance is a pipe dream at best. Call me a negative nancy or whatever, but this team has found ways to lose close games and blowing games they shouldve won. Until those parts of the team are taken care of, we can only dream of the Rose Bowl.

I am not going to buy into the hype just b/c he played better than Cody and Taylor for 1 day.

One day, in a scrimmage, in August, made Taylor the starter. Before that, he was the 3rd QB on the team.

Unless he has been kicking their butts all spring..

He has. It wasn't just the spring game where Brion has looked like the best QB on our team.

....and you know all of this how? :bs:

Considering that Carnes is having a fairly tough time understanding the offense, I'm going with :bs: too...

I'd have to agree with BigWillie here. Everything I have heard from people who are lucky enough to attend practices is that Martinez has had an unimpressive spring. I just hope Martinez can make a huge improvement in his passing and decision making, or Carnes gets the mental aspects of the offense down. We need a complete QB, or else we could see a repeat of last year.

Record wise... a repeat of last year would be a pretty good season. I do not think, however, that we will be so fortunate.

With Washington, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Penn State, Iowa and Wisconsin we would be doing well to be 4-3 --- really well. I'd guess we will be 3-4 against that competition... with victories against all others... so 4 regular season losses is about right. A bowl victory and we match last seasons record. A bowl loss and we are a game short of last year.

First off Nebraska wont be going to the NC while Taylor is here. Its much harder to go undefeated now with scholarship limit rule. Plus with our schedule the next 2 years. Along with our shaky OLine, QB, and WR play, a NC appearance is a pipe dream at best. Call me a negative nancy or whatever, but this team has found ways to lose close games and blowing games they shouldve won. Until those parts of the team are taken care of, we can only dream of the Rose Bowl.

Under the last seven years of fluffball you're right. However....

We're just an "average" offense away from being to play with anybody and just a "good" (not great) offense away from being an annual top 5 team. Bo has his own staff now and the Clownahan experiment is fully purged. The pipe dream very well may be a lot closer than you think.

We're just an "average" offense away from being to play with anybody and just a "good" (not great) offense away from being an annual top 5 team. Bo has his own staff now and the Clownahan experiment is fully purged. The pipe dream very well may be a lot closer than you think.

I agree with you on the part with the part of being just a "good" offense to compete with anybody. Until the team cleans up the sloppiness and inconsistent play, we are a 9-3 team at best.

I agree with you on the part with the part of being just a "good" offense to compete with anybody. Until the team cleans up the sloppiness and inconsistent play, we are a 9-3 team at best.

i think we are close to being an annual top 5 team, i mean look at the awesome recruiting job bo has done recently, so its obvious he has an eye for talent and bringing in good players, and i also think he has an eye for coaching talent and he finally has his guys in place for the most part and that this program is going to continue its climb back to greatness