A "real" new era for the offense?

You shared that Nebraska has eight new conference opponents they have to dissect over the summer. Do you think that the fact that Pelini is from the B1G is an advantage?

I don't see it, personally. As knapplc pointed out, the last time Pelini was part of the Big 10 conference was about two decades ago. The last time Pelini prepared to face a Big 10 team was in 2007 against Ohio State.

Being from Big 10 country won't do much for Pelini. I was born and raised in Nebraska, but tradition and culture are about the only two things that stay consistent over time. The coaches, schemes and products on the field are entirely different than they were from Pelini's Big 10 days. He might know a lot about their tradition and culture, but that won't help him win a football game in my opinion.

Of course, I have no idea what Beck is going to do this fall for sure but.....

By far the most exciting thing for me about the SG was hearing our qbs under center and Legate blasting in for a couple of scores. We've had a full seven years of fluffball and I've seen enough. Yes, yes of course that stuff can work with enough talent just like anything else but imo it's a bad fit for us and certainly doesn't play to our strengths.

I think NU "must" have a real-deal short running game to reach the premier status it richly deserves. Is there a good chance that might seriously be in the works (not just coach-speak)?

Some of the most beautiful plays from the "old days" were those misdirections given to the fullback that would even lose the camera guy. If Legate only gets 10 calls all year, I hope they have that sort of success. I'm with you there and keeping my fingers crossed for a lot more physicality from the offense this year.

Tthe offense we saw last Saturday is not going to be the offense we see this fall.

Nebraska is at a disadvantage going into the B1G. Yes, all the other B1G teams don't get to spend the summer dissecting film on Nebraska's offense, but Nebraska has eight new conference opponents they have to dissect over the summer. Pelini was using the ol' noggin' in that respect.

Second, this offense has been touted as a fast-paced, no-huddle monster that will attack a defense instead of take what the defense gives. Many of the formations I saw Saturday don't exemplify "fast-paced". It's tough to run a no-huddle out of the power i-formation, so I'm sure the pistol and shotgun are going to be about 80% of the plays we run in a football game next year.

Lastly, I'm going to go ahead and say Legate gets fewer than 10 carries this year. I just don't see it being that important in our offense.

This is about as true as it gets. We showed nothing during the spring game and I had that confirmed by somebody confirm that last night via facebook. He couldnt really say anything but he did say that we will go no-huddle a lot this fall. I bet we only see a handful of packages at all that the QB is under center. Legate may get to touch the ball ten times if that. I am very excited because I do know for a fact that our offense has a huge chip on their shoulders and a lot to prove.

Pelini’s B10 recent experience? He played tOSU about 10 minutes before he took over as HC of NU. Remember the NU fans being pissed that he stuck with LSU for their 2007 MNC bowl win over tOSU? Not that it matters much? (Jan 7, 2008 actually) Not that Pelini’s 2007 experience makes a bit of difference today.

Sure, it’s a small disadvantage that we face a whole sched of new conference opponents. But even in the B12 we’d often see one or two new offensive coordinators each year. Plus new groups of players. So it’s not *that* big of a deal.

Tthe offense we saw last Saturday is not going to be the offense we see this fall.

Nebraska is at a disadvantage going into the B1G. Yes, all the other B1G teams don't get to spend the summer dissecting film on Nebraska's offense, but Nebraska has eight new conference opponents they have to dissect over the summer. Pelini was using the ol' noggin' in that respect.

Second, this offense has been touted as a fast-paced, no-huddle monster that will attack a defense instead of take what the defense gives. Many of the formations I saw Saturday don't exemplify "fast-paced". It's tough to run a no-huddle out of the power i-formation, so I'm sure the pistol and shotgun are going to be about 80% of the plays we run in a football game next year.

Lastly, I'm going to go ahead and say Legate gets fewer than 10 carries this year. I just don't see it being that important in our offense.

This is about as true as it gets. We showed nothing during the spring game and I had that confirmed by somebody confirm that last night via facebook. He couldnt really say anything but he did say that we will go no-huddle a lot this fall. I bet we only see a handful of packages at all that the QB is under center. Legate may get to touch the ball ten times if that. I am very excited because I do know for a fact that our offense has a huge chip on their shoulders and a lot to prove.

Yeah, we won't know what Beck is gonna go with until the season starts. Even then I suspect we'll be plain vanilla in our warm-up games. We'll start seeing more of our offense as soon as we get into our conf sched.

You shared that Nebraska has eight new conference opponents they have to dissect over the summer. Do you think that the fact that Pelini is from the B1G is an advantage?

I don't see it, personally. As knapplc pointed out, the last time Pelini was part of the Big 10 conference was about two decades ago. The last time Pelini prepared to face a Big 10 team was in 2007 against Ohio State.

Being from Big 10 country won't do much for Pelini. I was born and raised in Nebraska, but tradition and culture are about the only two things that stay consistent over time. The coaches, schemes and products on the field are entirely different than they were from Pelini's Big 10 days. He might know a lot about their tradition and culture, but that won't help him win a football game in my opinion.

Yet knowing about the tradition and culture of a conference is significant IMHO I don't want to beat a dead horse here ;) but look what NOT understanding the culture of Nebraska did to Bill Callahan vs what understanding the culture of Nebraska did for Bo. Bill didn't get it-Bo did. I think that it might, however small, be an advantage to understand the culture and tradition of a conference. I've already heard people saying, 'I'm loving it that we're getting back to 'smashmouth Nebraska football'. That type of football is how we played when we were winning national championships. So, I think that, while it might be small, there IS an advantage in growing up within the Big 10 culture. But like another person wrote, it's not that big of a deal but fun to talk about it. I want to thank you guys for yakking with me and not dismissing my opinion. I appreciate your honesty and the freedom to share my opinion as well. That's one of the things I love about this board :)