Taylor Martinez Sports Science

Hey Guys,

Long time lurker, first time poster...

I ran across this video at you tube the other day. Sports Science takes a look at Taylor Martinez and how quick he is, both in decision making and acceleration. I believe that this is one of the primary reasons he's considered a front-runner at the position. when healthy I believe he will shread the Big Ten defenses.

I had not seen it before. enjoy.

Taylor Martinez Sports Science

JiminIowa

Pre-injury he was brilliantly fast. All we can hope is he heals totally, mentally and physically, and improves his passing game.

If he doesn't get better as a passer and if he loses that quickness, he'll suddenly become very pedestrian.

Also, welcome to the board, Jim. Make yourself at home.

First of all, thanks for the welcome..

Have you heard of any reason that he won't fully recover by fall? Maybe turf toe?

Also, I don't understand the thought that he can't pass well. Aside from his throwing motion (dreadful); the OSU game last year and his High School Passing yard (aprox. 3000)I would think that he will do well come fall.

Jim

Pre-injury he was brilliantly fast. All we can hope is he heals totally, mentally and physically, and improves his passing game.

If he doesn't get better as a passer and if he loses that quickness, he'll suddenly become very pedestrian.

First of all, thanks for the welcome..

Have you heard of any reason that he won't fully recover by fall? Maybe turf toe?

Also, I don't understand the thought that he can't pass well. Aside from his throwing motion (dreadful); the OSU game last year and his High School Passing yard (aprox. 3000)I would think that he will do well come fall.

Jim

He's had some great games, but some bad ones too. Whether it's boneheaded throws (the EZ pick in the Big 12CCG) or simply his bad footwork which causes bad throws, he's got work to do. What people fail to remember, is that he was a freshman, and was injured. If he can bounce back 100% from the injury, and improve his passing, he'll be fine. If not, he'll struggle.

Taylor has flaws in his motion, his base and his accuracy. Yes, he had a ton of yards in High School and he had a great day against OSU, but he's also made some mind-numbingly bad decisions with the football. Taylor's biggest problems are fundamental - what to do and when to do it, and mechanical - arm slot, footwork, etc.

Everything wrong with Taylor mechanically is fixable. Mentally it's a matter of reps, experience and discipline. The thing is, he's never going to turn into Graham Harrell, that's just not who/what he is. But we don't need him to be that guy, we just need him to be a net positive in the passing game. Taylor's game is running, and that's the future of this offense.

Taylor has flaws in his motion, his base and his accuracy. Yes, he had a ton of yards in High School and he had a great day against OSU, but he's also made some mind-numbingly bad decisions with the football. Taylor's biggest problems are fundamental - what to do and when to do it, and mechanical - arm slot, footwork, etc.

Everything wrong with Taylor mechanically is fixable. Mentally it's a matter of reps, experience and discipline. The thing is, he's never going to turn into Graham Harrell, that's just not who/what he is. But we don't need him to be that guy, we just need him to be a net positive in the passing game. Taylor's game is running, and that's the future of this offense.

While everything wrong with Taylor mechanically is fixable, we have zero evidence that any of the mechanical problems are, in fact, even being addressed. We have no evidence that these problems are being fixed. There is no evidence of improvement in footwork, follow-through, arm motion, use of his hips... anything.

And for the poster above re: Taylor regaining his quickness or speed. So far, so no.... In the spring game he did not appear hyper quick or hyper fast. In fact, he did not appear to have progressed any from when he averaged under 2 yards per carry the 2nd half of last season. In the spring game, he again averaged under 2 yards per carry.

Knapp... you are correct, without passing improvement or getting his quicks back (and, so far, there is no indication that either is even moving in the right direction), TMart becomes rather... pedestrian. Or worse.

His Spring Game stats were skewed by his sack. He looked decent (but not Taylor of old) on his scramble for a first down in the first quarter.

As for the no evidence of fixing things... that's hard to say. By all accounts the offense was so limited and so little of what they actually worked on all Spring that you can't base much off of what you saw. They could be working feverishly on all of the problems we're discussing and we just may not have seen them in the game.

His Spring Game stats were skewed by his sack. He looked decent (but not Taylor of old) on his scramble for a first down in the first quarter.

As for the no evidence of fixing things... that's hard to say. By all accounts the offense was so limited and so little of what they actually worked on all Spring that you can't base much off of what you saw. They could be working feverishly on all of the problems we're discussing and we just may not have seen them in the game.

True enough. What you are saying (I think) is that there may be efforts ongoing to improve his mechanics... and we just have not had the context to see that this is the case. Fair enough. But still, we have no evidence and can only hope that efforts are, in fact, ongoing to improve. Yet, I can state this... despite the limited gameplan and vanilla offense during the scrimmage game Saturday... it is still evident that Taylor's mechanics throwing the ball would elicit either of two responses from even high school coaches... they would either cringe or laugh.

I'm worried about his quickness/agility. His straight line speed and acceleration are off the charts but he doesn't look as good when moving laterally. He doesn't seem to feel pressure well.

His straight line acceleration used to be off the charts. Not now. Even pre-injury, his lateral mobility and elusiveness was only decent. But now... even his straight-line acceleration is not only not off-the-charts --- it is merely good and no more. At least based on what we saw the 2nd half of last year and on Saturday.

Cant find the article, but Bo said that Taylor was going to be very limited in the spring game because he re tweeked his ankle, they were even thinking about holding him out. Some guys are putting way to much stock into his spring game performance, he was very limited. That along with the limited play calling on offense gave you his performance. Lets hope he completely heals this summer and comes back strong in the fall, no pick up basketball taylor....rehab that ankle.

I'm nearly as worried about the turf toe as the ankle. Turf toe is hard to completely recover from. Real easy to reinjure, if not completely rehabbed.

I actually thought he re-aggravated the toe injury and not the ankle, but I could be mistaken. Either way you are correct - turf toe can be one hell of an injury to get over and it's tough to recover from completely.