Husker defensive front will boast depth

We might be BETTER at DE this year than last. Sure, we lose Pierre Allen, who was solid. But get back a healthy Cam Merredith, plus Ankrah, Josh Williams, Eric Martin and newcomer Joseph Carter. The new guys might be bucking for PT--Donovan Vestal, Walker Ashburn and Tobi Okuyemi. And in a pinch Crick would make an excellent DE.

Fear the Camstache!

The way the younger interior dlineman are progressing we could be beastly for years to come. Not only did Pelini help Suh get into the first round, number 2 overall, but next year Crick should be a first round pick.

Looks like the pipeline is on the other side of the ball now.

The depth on the DL is pure domination.

^^^^^^^^^^

NU is so set up to win the big ten strictly based on defensive matchups, its just silly.

:bonesflag:

I normally think your optimism is a little over the top, but I have this feeling too. I think our D will be filthy this year, combined with a shortage of good offenses in the B1G this season = great success for NU.

Yeah, my strong level of confidence in this year's D is in part due to the type of offenses NU will largely be facing throughout. Given that Bo's Defensive implementation was able to throttle the Big 12 within a couple seasons - producing the best ppg defense in the country, in a league which, at the time of his entry into it, was by far the most prolific scoring league amongst the BCS majors - I, and many others, find it hardly likely that the more traditional offenses and slower game speed of the big ten will pose any threat whatsoever.

This is Nebraska we're talking about. The home of :bonesflag: , one of the greatest traditional institutions in all of college football. Nebraska is Defense.

Combine the logjam on the D line + returning LB's + Dennard alone(eliminate the best opposing receiver), and the loss of several prolific big ten QB's, + the lack of big time receiver corps in the conference, + ohio state's controversy, + wisconsin losing their o-line, etc. etc. etc............... and hot damn its gonna be a freakishly dominant Blackshirt D this fall.

One of the most likely scenarios in all of college football this upcoming season, is that the Blackshirts are Top 5 in total D & PPG allowed by the close of the 2011-2012 season.

892037397.jpg

Okay imposter, I am going to drink a bit of your koolaid here. I think the D is going to be our best ever. I just hope we can build this type of depth on the oline.

i am not ready to go that far just yet, our LB's and depth at that position bother me.

the physical schedule this season will be brutal as well.

I said a little bit of it. I am concerned about the physical down hill running taking a toll on the LB's, their possilby being undersized for the Big Ten.

We have good depth at the Dline it appears. That gives me hope.

i agree, the smashmouth part makes me nervous as well...

Agreed. The LB's are the most likely weak point, but expect the brothers Pelini to protect them with players like E-Mart, Camstash, and some of the more mobile interior types.

I believe a new class of "hybrid" Blackshirt defender is on the horizon.

leave it to Bo to develop a hybrid player for the D......looks like LaVonte David may be the right size type, with speed.

Agreed. The LB's are the most likely weak point, but expect the brothers Pelini to protect them with players like E-Mart, Camstash, and some of the more mobile interior types.

I believe a new class of "hybrid" Blackshirt defender is on the horizon.

leave it to Bo to develop a hybrid player for the D......looks like LaVonte David may be the right size type, with speed.

Actually it's not really a new development... just bringing back what he already did. Lavonte bulked up to 230 = Demorrio Williams 2.0

I said a little bit of it. I am concerned about the physical down hill running taking a toll on the LB's, their possilby being undersized for the Big Ten.

We have good depth at the Dline it appears. That gives me hope.

it's not the size of the dog in the fight....it's the size of the fight in the dog.

lol in all actually I really hope compton and fisher/whoever comes in is able to weather the storm. I don't think we're going to be seeing a replica of hagg or gomes much this year since we're likely to be in the 4-3... but Lavonte is very capable so we'll have help in the 2nd level...