Where Are They Now - Mickey Joseph

Ex-Husker QB Joseph among coaches named to USA national team

Former Husker quarterback Mickey Joseph, the interim head coach at Langston (Okla.) University, and Hastings College assistant Jordan Brown are among the seven coaches chosen as assistants on the USA national team that will compete July 8-16 at the International Federation of American Football Senior World Championship in Austria.

Former Northwest Missouri State coach Mel Tjeerdsma will be the U.S. team's head coach and former Illinois head coach Lou Tepper will be its defensive coordinator.

Joseph, who handled the offensive line for Langston last year, will coach the U.S. running backs, and Brown, the defensive line coach at Hastings, will coach the tight ends and be the football operations director.

Good for Mickey. Go USA!

Mikey had his leg severely cut during that game down in OU. I think he collided with the bench on the OU sideline. And I remember him being tossed around by Alfred Williams of CU. I also remember when he got his first action, I believe it was in a loss to Miami down at the Orange Bowl. And I thought, hey, this guy is going to be REALLY good. He definitely had his moments in the sun.

Mikey had his leg severely cut during that game down in OU. I think he collided with the bench on the OU sideline.

Wasn't there a lot of grumbling that he was hit late out of bounds and shoved into that bench? I seem to recall that...

Yep you are correct

Mickey was hit almost five yards deep out of bounds. Completly changed that game with one cheap shot. A close game turned into a Boomer rout, and they weren't even that good that year. Went on to get railed by Co-National Champ Georgia Tech in the Citris Bowl behind Tom Haase. It had to have been the all White uni's.

1990 what a year. The fourth quarter of hell against Co National Chumps CU, Ga Tech and then the 35 point ass whippin put on us by Boomer. Man, that was actually a good team. Kenny Walker was an AA, Mike Croel and Bruce Pickens were both first round draft picks. On offense ya had Mickey, Derek Brown was the RB and you had Jon Bostick and Johnny Mitchell catching the ball. Damn.

Max Emfinger had Mickey rated THE #1 prospect in the nation that year. He was a big get for coach Osborne. OU wanted him very bad. Emfinger also had NU's class that year rated #1. It included Brodrick Thomas, LeRoy Etienne, and Steve Taylor if I remember right. That was Tom's only #1 ranked recruiting class. Mickey's younger brother went to CU(yeah really).

Good luck to the coaches and players.

But, football in Austria????? I'd love to visit there but play football there? Do they even play football there? Not futbol, football. Maybe Austria was mistaken between futbol and football when they agreed to host!!

Mickey was hit almost five yards deep out of bounds. Completly changed that game with one cheap shot. A close game turned into a Boomer rout, and they weren't even that good that year. Went on to get railed by Co-National Champ Georgia Tech in the Citris Bowl behind Tom Haase. It had to have been the all White uni's.

1990 what a year. The fourth quarter of hell against Co National Chumps CU, Ga Tech and then the 35 point ass whippin put on us by Boomer. Man, that was actually a good team. Kenny Walker was an AA, Mike Croel and Bruce Pickens were both first round draft picks. On offense ya had Mickey, Derek Brown was the RB and you had Jon Bostick and Johnny Mitchell catching the ball. Damn.

That cheap shot completely changed Mickey Joseph too. He wasn't the same player after that cheap shot. Played behind Keithen McCant his Sr year. Another nice cheap shot by the Oklahomo Friggin Hillbillies.

Friggin Hillbillies.

Easily Callahan's greatest quote.

Ha ha! And his most well know gesture was the throatslash. Also directed toward the Friggin Hillbillies.

btw, The Mickey Joseph cheapshot is one of the incidents that makes me use the term "Friggin Hillbillies".

Yeah, that bench was about 10 yards out of bounds, and he was either hit late or the hit was continued way beyond the sideline to drive him into the bench, or both. Joseph was a big "get", but he was also a 43% passer in his main year. We could roll over the weaker teams by pounding the ball, but when we got up against a stronger defense, they could stop the run by stacking the defense and we couldn't pass, especially on 3rd and long or when we fell a couple of scores down. Ranking the starting Husker QBs from the last 50 years, Joseph would be near the bottom on my list.

Yeah, that bench was about 10 yards out of bounds, and he was either hit late or the hit was continued way beyond the sideline to drive him into the bench, or both.

AND, if I'm not mistaken, the Oklahoma players miraculously cleared out of the way so as not to impede Mickey's path to the bench, amirite?

Yeah, that bench was about 10 yards out of bounds, and he was either hit late or the hit was continued way beyond the sideline to drive him into the bench, or both.

AND, if I'm not mistaken, the Oklahoma players miraculously cleared out of the way so as not to impede Mickey's path to the bench, amirite?

Mickey and the tackler(s?) were really charging hard out of bounds so I could see people getting out of their way at the sidelines rather than trying to catch them, though it would've been better if someone by the bench would've tried.