MSNBC picks the Huskers

Redman

I found this article on MSNBC website. The writer breaks down the teams and makes his predictions.

College Predictions 101

by John Tamanaha

TEXAS TECH at NEBRASKA

Needless to say, the Cornhuskers have been waiting nearly a year for this one. Never mind that both teams are 4-0 and ranked in the sometimes-inexplicable Harris Interactive Poll. When Nebraska loses a football game 70-10, circumstances regarding a rematch need not include relevance in the conference standings.

Seeking revenge over Texas Tech for the worst loss in the 114-year history of Huskers football will take center stage in Lincoln on Saturday, but it won’t come easy. The Red Raiders lead the nation in scoring, averaging 57.2 points per game.

Nebraska counters with a defense that is working on a stretch of 10 touchdown-free quarters (all of the Wake Forest and Pitt games, and the first half versus Iowa State) and ranks second in the nation in scoring defense, allowing just 9.0 points per game.

Both teams built their undefeated records by playing all four games at home. Nebraska gets to extend its homestand to a fifth game, and since Texas Tech hasn’t played as sharply in recent times away from Lubbock, you shouldn’t expect to see Cody Hodges at his best during his first road start under center, going against a unit of angry Blackshirts.

On the other hand, Cornhuskers quarterback Zac Taylor, who set school records with 36 completions and 431 passing yards in last week’s overtime victory over Iowa State, will get the job done once again for Bill Callahan.

Opening point spread: Texas Tech by 4

Pick: Nebraska 24-23

Very True Nameless,

But it is also possible we are playing the South Champion. Some early in the year felt they would challenge Texas. Most felt they or A&M were at least second in the south.

We need to win this game, and hope Tech moves through the rest of their schedule undefeated and meet them again in the CCG. In my mind it would be the only way we could get to a BCS game. If Texas wins, I think we will have more problems with them than Tech. But that is not a requirement on my side for this team to be successful.

The only other one on the schedule that could affect us is Wake Forest, I still think they end up 3rd in the conference at worst. That would give some credibility to our schedule.

BCS game? Come on guys. Will someone please join me in reality? I know we're undefeated but this team is still an enormous question mark. We could easily be 1-3 right now, and we haven't even played anyone yet. We have 7 games left and we could lose any one of them. I just think we can't say this team is for real until we see how they do tomorrow. All the problems aren't solved because we survived in overtime at home against Iowa State.

We could easily be 1-3 right now, and we haven't even played anyone yet.

Fact is though we are 4-0 not 1-3. Just wondering what is the other game we could of easily lost? It's funny how now people are saying ISU wasn't for real since we beat them. If I'm not mistaken they were ranked and more then a few people around here picked them to win. We beat them and all of a sudden they aren't any good. This logic is makes no sense to me what so ever.

I never said Iowa State was a good team. In my season prediction a few months ago, I said the Iowa State game was a tossup. Last week I said they would be the best team we had seen so far, but still aren't that good. I always pointed to the Tech game as the indicator.

If you're honest, you know we should have lost the Pitt game. The other game was Wake Forest. If I'm not mistaken, our offense tied them in that game. If the defense hadn't bailed them out with those scores, it would have been a close game with a team we should beat by 40. So I'm sorry, I'll revise my statement. We could easily be 2-2. 1-3 was probably reaching.

It's funny to me that we squeak by two teams that are barely in the top 50 as far as I'm concerned, and now everyone has us avenging Tech for last years beating, marching to a Big 12 North crown, and challenging for a major bowl bid. I just don't see it, guys. Tomorrow's game is scarey, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if we lose. Depending on how the offense executes, we could lose big. If we kill them (or even just beat them), I welcome you to tell me I was wrong and ridicule me accordingly. I just think we really need to manage our expectations here.

This is the only remaining ranked team Nebraska will be playing this year. Odds are that Texas Tech could be unranked at the end of the season

:yeah

We saw a lot of problems with the Iowa State team after they played Army. We see a lot of problems with TT after they played Kansas. I for one at least think we are a better team than Kansas. Had it not been for a lot of stupid penalties and mental breakdowns, Kansas could have won that game. I wouldn't be shocked at all if TT isn't rated at the end of the season. There's one really good team down south, and the rest are like us OK.

We have a really good shot at winning this game, but I don't buy the 24-23 score. Whoever wins this game will win and win by more than 4 points unless we choose to run the ball and just grind out a victory. I'm cautiously optimistic about our chances in this game. If BC keeps the pigskin more on the ground than in the air, we could easily win this game. I just don't think TT is that good. However, if they beat us similarly to last year on our home field then I'll have to adjust my thinking about how good they really are!

If BC keeps the pigskin more on the ground than in the air, we could easily win this game. I just don't think TT is that good. However, if they beat us similarly to last year on our home field then I'll have to adjust my thinking about how good they really are!

I agree totally. I'm already a believer. I think they are that good and will show it tomorrow. But I'm willing to revise my thinking if the outcome is otherwise. I agree with your analysis, but do you think Callahan will have the restraint to call those running plays?

If you're honest, you know we should have lost the Pitt game.

Should have lost? 'Scuse me, but that last field goal wasn't missed. It was blocked. Damn man, that sounds like something Benard would say. Either way, what should have happened (according to you) is completely irrelevant. Completely.

If I'm not mistaken, our offense tied them in that game.

You are mistaken, our offense scored ten. Three defensive touchdowns equals 21 points, not 28.

I never said Iowa State was a good team.

It's funny to me that we squeak by two teams that are barely in the top 50 as far as I'm concerned, and now everyone has us avenging Tech for last years beating

I wasn't referring to you in general about ISU I just used your quote. BUt you can't tell me they are not one of the Top 50 teams in America. I'll give you Pitt.

Tech hasn't played anyone except KU and they struggled with them and everyone has them in the Top 15. Why can't we come out and avenge last years lose? This Defense is playing together and our QB isn't turning it over in record clips.