Let's build healthy rivalries

It's a new day in a new conference and I know that most of us are excited about the upcoming foes. As Bo said, its going to be like an out of conference game every week. As we head into this new league, we should reaffirm who we are as Huskers. It might sound arrogant to some non-Husker fans, but Nebraska is one of the greatest football programs in the history of the NCAA. There are certainly other traditional programs and we respect those programs, but we fear no one. With that attitude fully in mind, we should head into the new conference ready to take on new challenges and claim victories while giving each foe's fans the respect they deserve. When fans from any team look to make idiot insults against our Huskers we should just walk away from the discussion. Don't get involved in the petty BS coming from other fans. When we get involved in that, it poisons matchups and brings a lot of negative energy to the situation. I am just thinking about our last trip through the Big 12 and how much I had a hate on for a bunch of the teams because I engaged in pissing matches with fans of different teams both online and in person. I am thinking of a Texas fan in particular who I argued with for a long time trying to convince him that Nebraska and the Big 8 saved his freaking team after the the Longhorns conference dissolved. It was just a pointless discussion since his main and only argument was, you guys suck and the Longhorns rule. I should have just said "whatever you want to think" and walked away about two minutes into that disaster.

Let's try to stay above the fray. If any program's fan base can accomplish that goal, it would be ours.

GBR

P.S. Screw you Iowa, you guys suck. Just kidding. LOL

It's a new day in a new conference and I know that most of us are excited about the upcoming foes. As Bo said, its going to be like an out of conference game every week. As we head into this new league, we should reaffirm who we are as Huskers. It might sound arrogant to some non-Husker fans, but Nebraska is one of the greatest football programs in the history of the NCAA. There are certainly other traditional programs and we respect those programs, but we fear no one. With that attitude fully in mind, we should head into the new conference ready to take on new challenges and claim victories while giving each foe's fans the respect they deserve. When fans from any team look to make idiot insults against our Huskers we should just walk away from the discussion. Don't get involved in the petty BS coming from other fans. When we get involved in that, it poisons matchups and brings a lot of negative energy to the situation. I am just thinking about our last trip through the Big 12 and how much I had a hate on for a bunch of the teams because I engaged in pissing matches with fans of different teams both online and in person. I am thinking of a Texas fan in particular who I argued with for a long time trying to convince him that Nebraska and the Big 8 saved his freaking team after the the Longhorns conference dissolved. It was just a pointless discussion since his main and only argument was, you guys suck and the Longhorns rule. I should have just said "whatever you want to think" and walked away about two minutes into that disaster.

Let's try to stay above the fray. If any program's fan base can accomplish that goal, it would be ours.

GBR

P.S. Screw you Iowa, you guys suck. Just kidding. LOL

I was looking for one standing there with arms crossed tapping a foot and glaring or something similar - but I guess I will go with:

<_<

I can see where it seems out of step with the reality of college football, but I know that in looking at the teams we play, I very rarely find fault with the team itself. Their fan base is another story. So if I ignore their fan base then I will have a healthier view of, not only them, but our team as well.

I wish people wanted to have hated rivals instead of the “clap for the opponent” at the end of the game kind. That’s what makes the great rivalries what they are. IMO

Like Michigan/Ohio State and Auburn/Bama? :) (I suppose at least Michigan and Ohio State fans don't go poisoining each others trees)

I wish people wanted to have hated rivals instead of the “clap for the opponent” at the end of the game kind. That’s what makes the great rivalries what they are. IMO

Like we had with Oklahoma? You can still respect your opponent even if they are a bitter rival. It's college football, not war. There's no reason to "hate" anyone.

• Fire 1

Like we had with Oklahoma? You can still respect your opponent even if they are a bitter rival. It's college football, not war. There's no reason to "hate" anyone.

If OU was a true rival they would have put up more of a fight to keep it going when the Big 12 was formed. <_<

Name the best rivalries in sports and tell me if they are built on a complete disdain (I guess hate was too strong of a word :dunno ) for each other or if they are built on respect.

If OU was a true rival they would have put up more of a fight to keep it going when the Big 12 was formed. <_<

Name the best rivalries in sports and tell me if they are built on a complete disdain (I guess hate was too strong of a word :dunno ) for each other or if they are built on respect.

I think you're talking about "sports hate" and I figured you meant actual factual hate. Sure, I "hate" the Sooners, but I like their fans and have shared beers with them pleasantly. Same goes for Packers fans, Cardinals fans, etc. The poisoning of trees and throwing of snowballs wrapped around batteries isn't sporting, it's stupid and criminal, and that doesn't make for a good rivalry. The hooliganism you see in England around Premier League is not what I want to see.

I guess I don't want to have such rivalries with teams that their fans don't feel safe coming to Lincoln for a game. I don't want them to think they'll get assaulted or their cars will get keyed, like you see in Boulder and CoMo. Pretty much every tailgate I've been to has been visited by opponent fans. Nearly all of them have been pretty cool, with exceptions (a Colorado DB comes to mind), and I've enjoyed a beverage in a red plastic cup with many of them. That's the kind of rivalry I like.

• Fire 1

I think you're talking about "sports hate" and I figured you meant actual factual hate. Sure, I "hate" the Sooners, but I like their fans and have shared beers with them pleasantly. Same goes for Packers fans, Cardinals fans, etc. The poisoning of trees and throwing of snowballs wrapped around batteries isn't sporting, it's stupid and criminal, and that doesn't make for a good rivalry. The hooliganism you see in England around Premier League is not what I want to see.

I guess I don't want to have such rivalries with teams that their fans don't feel safe coming to Lincoln for a game. I don't want them to think they'll get assaulted or their cars will get keyed, like you see in Boulder and CoMo. Pretty much every tailgate I've been to has been visited by opponent fans. Nearly all of them have been pretty cool, with exceptions (a Colorado DB comes to mind), and I've enjoyed a beverage in a red plastic cup with many of them. That's the kind of rivalry I like.

:koolaid2:

Might have to hit up your tailgate this season (if that's ok with you ;) ) A buddy of mine from Texas (Husker fan) moved here a couple years ago and he's NEVER been to a game in Lincoln, so we're going to try to make it down there.