Let's build healthy rivalries

GSG, I would love to have you at a tailgate. I've never hosted my own, I typically go to a former player's 'gate and hang with the Old School Huskers. Maybe I'll have to set up my own this year.

Or we could just take over GMoose's front yard. He can't kick ALL of us out. :D

I'd be down for that too! I've only "tailgated" once in Lincoln and I was too hungover to enjoy it (a couple bottle of SoCo will do that to you)

I've had a good time at the bars before and after the games though.

And, in keeping with the thread topic, I hung out with a lot of OU fans a couple years ago. We had a good time, no reason we can't do that with our new conference brethren.

By definition, a healthy rivalry means the sword swings both ways. For example the OU/NU rivalry is the healthiest rivalry that the Husker football team plays. Why? Because the race to dominate the record is so close, the bragging rights to say we won more games in the rivalry than you is on the line for the players, the school, and the fans.

In saying that, a new healthy rivalry would mean sacrifice. A tendency to lose games to teams such as Iowa, Ohio State, Wisconsin, Penn State and Michigan and take them in stride like the Husker Prayer says. "If we should lose, we'll stand by the road and cheer as the winners go by."

So if you want a true rivalry, like the one we have with Oklahoma and Missouri, then expect loses and take them in stride and look forward to the next meeting.

Or, if you want a phony rivalry, like the Colorado or Kansas State rivalry, where we dominate them every year and brings very little value to the word rivalry, then your definition of a rivalry is not the same as mine.

Lots of interesting match-ups, but the Ohio St.-Nebraska game is really going to have appeal at the national level, more so than Ohio St.-Michigan even (at least in recent years since Michigan has been worthless). Aside from maybe Auburn-Alabama, I don't see any Saturday regular season game competing with it in terms of viewers.

I hope I'm wrong but I can see PSU being the new

Colorado and Iowa the Miz-Zoo replacement

Penn State allows liquor sales in their stadium just

like good ol' CU. With similar results as most Husker's who've

been to a game in Happy Valley can attest. Just ask Turner Gill.

Iowa fans have a lot in common with Missouri fans:

redneck arrogant and rude to opponent's fans. I was amazed

at the level of hostility to ISU fans in Iowa City.

I'm all for building bitter rivalries. After all it's the ugly ones that are the most fun and the wins in the ugly rivalries that are the most satisfying.

So here it goes.

Ohio State:Prepare to be unseated as king of the Big 10 Mountain.

Wisconsin: If you are able to put down your picket signs and leave the B.O. funk filled capitol rotunda long enough to watch a football game Nebraska will be happy to show you fair weather cheeseheads what college football and work ethic are all about.

Iowa: For years you mealy mouth Iowegians have run your mouth about how great the BIG 10 is and how great you Hawkeyes are. Only to get put in your place in blowout fashion whenever our two teams actually meet on the field. Now that the BIG 10 really is great with the addition of Nebraska to your resume of storied football programs I'm excited for you to see the future of the BIG 10, a future that includes many championships for the Cornhuskers.

Penn State: You owe us a National Championship and you are under the false assumption that we owe you one. This should make for plenty of bad blood. Bring it on!

Michigan: You know, I have to give credit where credit is due. You believe the 1997 National Championship should have never been split. You are absolutely right. It should have been an outright Championship for the Cornhuskers! The sting of that 2005 Alamo bowl ending still itch too? I hope so. Lets get this show on the road!!!

Michigan State and Minnesota: I'm to understand you've won National Championships..... IN FOOTBALL.. I'll have to ask my great grandpa about those.. Oh wait, he's dead.

Northwestern: Gary Barnett is in your history. Black Eye. Nuff said.

Purdue: You know, football is a sport of 11 players, not just Quarterback.

Illinois and Indiana: No need to kick a team while they are down as you are.. Wait, was that kicking???

Does that stir it up a bit?? :corndance

I doubt it will happen, but I wish you guys played OU every year again... That would be a great game to get back, that the Big 12 sadly ruined. Not sure either program wants another tough game to play each year, but that was a GREAT game. Now if it was on Thanksgiving weekend, it could sort out BCS issues instead, comparing both 2 contenders who may being after a title or a nice benchmark as to where each conference stood. I know it is a little ofrf topic, but there you go. Now that you actually have a legit option QB and I can half stop wanting that back (let's see that old I!!!!), I can focus on this issue and hoping people drop the Black uniform (or any other uniform suggestions).

I'm all for building bitter rivalries. After all it's the ugly ones that are the most fun and the wins in the ugly rivalries that are the most satisfying.

So here it goes.

Ohio State:Prepare to be unseated as king of the Big 10 Mountain.

Wisconsin: If you are able to put down your picket sings and leave the B.O. funk filled capitol rotunda long enough to watch a football game Nebraska will be happy to show you fair weather cheeseheads what college football and work ethic are all about.

Iowa: For years you mealy mouth Iowegians have run your mouth about how great the BIG 10 is and how great you Hawkeyes are. Only to get put in your place in blowout fashion whenever our two teams actually meet on the field. Now that the BIG 10 really is great with the addition of Nebraska to your resume of storied football programs I'm excited for you to see the future of the BIG 10, a future that includes many championships for the Cornhuskers.

Penn State: You owe us a National Championship and you are under the false assumption that we owe you one. This should make for plenty of bad blood. Bring it on!

Michigan: You know, I have to give credit where credit is due. You believe the 1997 National Championship should have never been split. You are absolutely right. It should have been an outright Championship for the Cornhuskers! The sting of that 2005 Alamo bowl ending still itch too? I hope so. Lets get this show on the road!!!

Michigan State and Minnesota: I'm to understand you've won National Championships..... IN FOOTBALL.. I'll have to ask my great grandpa about those.. Oh wait, he's dead.

Northwestern: Gary Barnett is in your history. Black Eye. Nuff said.

Purdue: You know, football is a sport of 11 players, not just Quarterback.

Illinois and Indiana: No need to kick a team while they are down as you are.. Wait, was that kicking???

Does that stir it up a bit?? :corndance

I thin if you just go kick their butts and don't say much at all, it works even better. Clap for em when they play well, but beat the crap out of em, cause talk is cheap :)

It will be healthy, in the minds of Husker fans, as long as we are winning. In the opinion of the rest of the Big Ten, it will be a healthy rivalry as long as they are having their way with us.

It isn't going to happen. There will be one or two teams that decide that they hate us, because we win a close game with a "questionable" call, and their fans all of a sudden will forget all this sportsmanship.

Who will be our Colorado? That is a good poll question...

That game brings out the worst of the worst - on both sides.

That game brings out the worst of the worst - on both sides.

My wife and I were invited to the Iowa-ISU game in Iowa city.

As "neutrals", she dressed in Iowa colors and I dressed in

Iowa State red (I just happen to have a lot of red clothing).

Big mistake on my part.

Before the game was over, even the wife was harassing me.