Nebraska Booted from the AAU

Blame the Longhorns!!!!!! :corndance

Well, the AAU is headed by Larry R. Faulkner, president emeritus of the University of Texas. Go figure.

I hope that whole fawking state burns to the ground.

Actually all of the B1G members AND the Big 12 members voted FOR Nebraska. This whole thing stinks. I can't figure out why they didn't investigate this prior to inviting Nebraska to the B1G. One day you're in and the next you're booted out? Also, if Dr. Perlman KNEW that there was a danger that NU would get booted out, why wasn't something done about it WAAAYYYY before now?

As you can see by my many 'replies' this issue has really upset me. I've been reading other message boards from the rest of the teams in the B1G and many of them are really angry. This DOES make the B1G look bad and why did it have to be Nebraska, who was being welcomed into the B1G with open arms, to spoil everything?

However, I did find this thoughtful post on, of all things, an Iowa Hawkeyes message board. There is still hope that NU will be reinstated but it's going to take some time, I'm afraid.

"A bit of history. When Michigan State became a member of the conference it was not a member of the AAU. It did not become an AAU member until 1964 after joining the conference in 1953. Purdue's AAU membership did not begin until 1958 after joining the conference in 1896. Also remember the Big Ten conference was formed before the AAU was formed. I think it is a mistake to think Nebraska would not have been admitted because of its AAU status. Obviously AAU members know what other members' status is.

I expect that Nebraska will begin work to attain membership once again."

Notre Dame is not an AAU member yet the B1G has been courting them for years so there are some huge inconsistencies here. I also learned that UNMC WAS once part of the NU system but they parted ways a long time ago. Does anyone have any history on this?

The whole thing just stinks. I don't know about anyone else but it rather taints our entrance into the B1G 10. Blah.

As an Iowa fan, heres my take. First off we are not the sec. I am not liking the Iowa, Oh St and now Nebraska thing. I would like to see the Big 10 bring home a NC, but not at the expense of the students. Iowa needs to recruit better and keep a closer eye on the kids, work outs or post workout, drugs ect, the list is long. OH needs to do some house cleaning. Now I am not sure whats all entailed in this Nebraska deal. I hope you can appeal it, if not I would hope they do everything in their power to not only get back in, but to come back with a bang and place fairly high on the list. I do wonder when the big ten is going to tighten the reigns a bit. It might not come right away, but I can say, they cant be happy with many of the teams in the conference this year.

On a diff note, I have seen some ego checking going on here, it's nice. Most of the people here have calmed down from the onslaught of other big ten teams fans coming over and "saying this or that". I am sure there will be some uptick as fall gets closer, so if I get to wound up in it, let me wish you all luck this year.

Oh and the ND deal, come on. They are not a member because they dont have to be when there is that much private money being invested.

Perlman said most of the 11 other Big Ten universities supported UNL's efforts to remain in the AAU, as did all of the Big 12 universities in the AAU.

Most?? I wonder which of our new B1G brethren voted to give us the boot?

Well.....I guess my degree is not any good now. I might as well take it down off of my office wall this Monday and toss it in the shredder. hmmph.gif

I keep mine on the fridge, supported by a magnet (my masters degree anyways). You should try it. I'm being serious

As you can see by my many 'replies' this issue has really upset me. I've been reading other message boards from the rest of the teams in the B1G and many of them are really angry. This DOES make the B1G look bad and why did it have to be Nebraska, who was being welcomed into the B1G with open arms, to spoil everything?

However, I did find this thoughtful post on, of all things, an Iowa Hawkeyes message board. There is still hope that NU will be reinstated but it's going to take some time, I'm afraid.

"A bit of history. When Michigan State became a member of the conference it was not a member of the AAU. It did not become an AAU member until 1964 after joining the conference in 1953. Purdue's AAU membership did not begin until 1958 after joining the conference in 1896. Also remember the Big Ten conference was formed before the AAU was formed. I think it is a mistake to think Nebraska would not have been admitted because of its AAU status. Obviously AAU members know what other members' status is.

I expect that Nebraska will begin work to attain membership once again."

Notre Dame is not an AAU member yet the B1G has been courting them for years so there are some huge inconsistencies here. I also learned that UNMC WAS once part of the NU system but they parted ways a long time ago. Does anyone have any history on this?

The whole thing just stinks. I don't know about anyone else but it rather taints our entrance into the B1G 10. Blah.

Gee. Being REALLY upset; lurking other boards for info; fans from other schools being pissed...I don't know who is the weirdest in this equation. With this whole kicked out of the AAU thing everyone needs to abide by the old stand-by: the one who cares least wins.