Osborne in Tressel's shoes

55 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hey Herbstreet, A skunk is still a skunk if called by any other name, except OSBORNE! I dunno if Jesus did all of the same things that the devil did then, ya, WHAT? Thank goodness some coaches find it important to instill integrity and honesty in there players and coaches, especially when dealing with the NCAA! Maybe Tressel is feeling a bit vulnerable now, well earned!

It is their responsiblity to protect the players at all costs, they give that commitment to their parents and family.

Tom was not squeaky clean, the pistol deal as far as I am concerned is far worse than what Tressel did. But again he was thinking about the kid and not his best interest or the schools, just as he should do.

We have kids running around with tatoos on the team, gold bling in their ears and around their necks, where does that come from, who pays for that on a scholarship ride. Vehicles are driven that are loanded by some one, some, as most on scholarship could not afford them. Again we have things that are going on, just like the rest of the country, we are no different is my guess. All pretty much live in a glass house, we need to remember that.

so...tattoos and "gold" earrings insinuates a recruiting violation? seriously?

It is their responsiblity to protect the players at all costs, they give that commitment to their parents and family.

Tom was not squeaky clean, the pistol deal as far as I am concerned is far worse than what Tressel did. But again he was thinking about the kid and not his best interest or the schools, just as he should do.

We have kids running around with tatoos on the team, gold bling in their ears and around their necks, where does that come from, who pays for that on a scholarship ride. Vehicles are driven that are loanded by some one, some, as most on scholarship could not afford them. Again we have things that are going on, just like the rest of the country, we are no different is my guess. All pretty much live in a glass house, we need to remember that.

One big difference here. When asked about it, he turned it over. He didn't keep on trying to hide the truth. No, I would not have fired him. A fine maybe,sit out x amount of games, no on rode recruiting. Pick one or all. If no one was ever given a second chance, what a bag of misfits, we would have running around. jmo

GBR!!!

Not correct, he held it for a period of time, thinking about it.

The tats and gold bling are very expensive, some would say thousands of dollars on some of these kids. Where does that comee from? The tats or gold is not illegal, but the acquireing of the money or path to get them is questionable. I have had several people mention those things to me about not just our team but pretty much every team.

We have our problems, just like every major program in the country.

I voted "no" and I don't think Tressel should be fired, either. Did he hurt anybody? No. A couple kids made a dumb mistake, sold PERSONAL property to get a tatoo, that didn't harm anybody. Tressel was trying to help his players like Tom helped his guys. Yes, I know, Tom would never lie. But there is one thing to remember: Jim Tressel gives huge amounts charity, he speaks at all kinds of FCA events, it is well documented he is a man of Faith and strong conviction, just like T.O. Before all this came out, OSU folks would say the same thing about Tressel as we are saying about TO right now... Jim Tressel just happens to coach in an era where it's almost impossible to keep anything secret.

I don't think T.O. would lie like that, but he is a human - as he would tell you even he is sinful by nature. This is not a fire-able offense.

Not correct, he held it for a period of time, thinking about it.

The tats and gold bling are very expensive, some would say thousands of dollars on some of these kids. Where does that comee from? The tats or gold is not illegal, but the acquireing of the money or path to get them is questionable. I have had several people mention those things to me about not just our team but pretty much every team.

We have our problems, just like every major program in the country.

ummm... I drove a new car in college, had a flat screen tv, and two new computers. I wasn't taking payments from anyone. Some people are blessed enough to belong to families with more money than others. Some people have a lot of money in the bank but wear the grudgiest clothes you've ever seen and drive 30 year old vehicles. Some people have bling and nice cars but not a cent in the bank. Some people work in HS and save up so they can buy things in college. Some people have grandma's send them money on their birthday.

An athlete wearing jewelry or driving a car is hardly a reason to question the ethics of the program. Get real.

Ah yess we are back to the fairy tales of the Nebraska program. You believe what you believe and I will continue to live in reality. Thinking that Nebraska or Tom Osborne are above all this is pure homerisim. WE have our problems, but because we are not winning, we skate the microscope.

I hope we are as clean as some think, but it is highly unlikely. Most kids that get a scholarship are not trustafarians. They come from hard working homes, or from the ghetos of major cities.

We continously hear how the kids do not have enough money to live on, how they should be paid, by others, but have the financial ability to put a 1000.00 to 5000.00 sleve on their bodies. These things are far from free, unless they are a advertisement for the shop, a violation again.

The rules are so out of line, it is hard to know and follow them. Do I think Osborne or Bo would knowingly lie to the NCAA, most likely not, but as stupid as the rule is and how it covers such a vast amount of things, it could be easily forgotten.

Ah yess we are back to the fairy tales of the Nebraska program. You believe what you believe and I will continue to live in reality. Thinking that Nebraska or Tom Osborne are above all this is pure homerisim. WE have our problems, but because we are not winning, we skate the microscope.

Why doesn't Iowa get the luxury of skating the microscope?

My guess is that Iowa has been a player on the National scene recently, but who knows. I know when we were winning the NCAA did an investigation and found some tickets problems, that was it. But if we turn the trolly around and get back to being a big dog on the block, they will nose around alot more. It is just the way they do things. Do not have ample investigators to hit every one, so the high visiblity teams get watched closer.

Hopefully we will be in that category.

Bo has a tough job, and keeping the NCAA out of our house is one of the toughest.

My guess is that Iowa has been a player on the National scene recently, but who knows. I know when we were winning the NCAA did an investigation and found some tickets problems, that was it. But if we turn the trolly around and get back to being a big dog on the block, they will nose around alot more. It is just the way they do things. Do not have ample investigators to hit every one, so the high visiblity teams get watched closer.

Hopefully we will be in that category.

Bo has a tough job, and keeping the NCAA out of our house is one of the toughest.

I can agree with that.

What I don't agree with is your insinuation that we're running a dirty program, but there's just no proof because we're not being watched closely. Not being watched closely ≠ proof we're running a dirty program.

I am not saying we are running a dirty program by any means. What I am saying is that the rules are vast and unknown that we have had things happen that most likely are on par with Tressels actions. Some of these rules, no one else would live under.

I am just saying if they dig around Nebraska, Oklahoma, Florida, LSU and a host of others, they would find something and I think that is what is going on. They are looking for something to hurt the program. I feel sorry for Ohio State, as I believe Tressel is in the lines of Osborne, a good man, not a villan, a guy doing everything to protect his kids. That is why I have such a problem with it.

Up until this broke, most people would have put Coach Tressel in the same group as Coach Osborne, and I do not feel he is that far away still. It is a witch hunt. He made several mistakes, but I do not think it was an attempt to further his wins or prevent losses, I think it was to protect the kids.

As many have said I have no dog in this fight, but as a person that respects hard working coaches, good people, I think it would be sad to lose Coach Tressel to this, not only for Ohio State, but college football in general.

It is a loaded question. The question is if T.O. was discovered to be a liar and a cheater would you agree to fire him. Of course I would, as would anyone else in their right mind. The problem is that most do not like to even consider the hypothetical that T.O. was a liar and a cheater, so that throws them off.

• Fire 1

I think age and experience dictates the answer to the posed question. In my mid-20s, living in AZ, I invested a lot of emotion in rooting for the team. At that time I don't think I'd have had the clarity to want TO fired. (and yes, I agree that because TO is TO, this is purely fantasy) Now pushing 40, and after a terrible decade, compared to the 80s and 90s, and I imagine after other life changing events/maturity, I would agree that TO would've needed to be fired if this had happened under his watch. Its not about whether the NCAA violation is large or small, its about running a clean program, and setting an example for students to follow.

For me, a University should still be a school first. Somewhere down the line, being exceptional at an extra-curricular activity can matter.