The fact that there's no one talking about firing him anymore, tells me he needs to be fired. It's gotten so bad no one even wants to talk about it anymore... wow. At least Doc still has people watching/listening and then arguing about it

I have been talking about this most of the year. If he isn't fired I will not attend another game untilled he does. I had season fix and decided no more 2 years ago. I can't take this. We had a top notch team before he took over. And he pulled a solich, can't recruit and drowned a program. Not even making the big 12 tourny probably for the 3rd year in a row is flat unacceptable. Change needs to happen. ERSTAD '11/'12

The fact that there's no one talking about firing him anymore, tells me he needs to be fired. It's gotten so bad no one even wants to talk about it anymore... wow. At least Doc still has people watching/listening and then arguing about it

I have been talking about this most of the year. If he isn't fired I will not attend another game untilled he does. I had season fix and decided no more 2 years ago. I can't take this. We had a top notch team before he took over. And he pulled a solich, can't recruit and drowned a program. Not even making the big 12 tourny probably for the 3rd year in a row is flat unacceptable. Change needs to happen. ERSTAD '11/'12

I agree that change (read: MA's ouster) needs to happen, but I don't know if Erstad is the right man to fill that void.

Plus, considering some of the rhetoric coming from Delany regarding B1G Baseball, there may be some (positive) changes in store for the conference to make it more competitive. We need someone experienced that can get Nebraska on top of the conference in front of these possible changes quickly.

Someone had suggested the former Creighton player that's coaching Virginia right now would be a good candidate, but I don't know enough about him to say anything.

Someone had suggested the former Creighton player that's coaching Virginia right now would be a good candidate, but I don't know enough about him to say anything.

Virginia is a top 10 program now and NU never will be no matter what happens. The only chance of getting him would be to offer about 7 mil...

Virginia is a top 10 program now and NU never will be no matter what happens. The only chance of getting him would be to offer about 7 mil...

Why couldn't we be? There's nothing stopping us, we just need to develop the right facilities and support to attract the right coach. When you have the coach and the facilities, there's no reason you can't be successful.

The biggest joke is that it took us decades to realize we were so far behind in facilities. The new practice facility we're building is going to improve things around here A LOT. That alone won't put us at the top, but it's a step in the right direction.

For those throwing around names as "dream replacements" here is my two cents.

Brian O'Connor is the Virginia coach being mentioned. Born in Omaha, graduated from CB St. Albert and then pitched at Creighton. Also was CU's pitching coach from 93-95. So yes he has ties to the area. However, do those ties lead to a decision to leave a program that is more or less a college power, and plays in a VERY good baseball conference? Seven straight to the NCAA tourney, including the 2009 CWS. Had an overall win percentage of .728 heading into the year. The allure of home may help but I put this at 10% and that could be high.

Erstad is a great baseball mind for NU's hitters to pick, but he is not ready for this. I think he is a great mentor for NU and was a hell of a player, but there are many things that he still hasn't experienced. Handling a pitching staff, recruiting, the balances of schollies, academics and all the other political BS that goes into running a major baseball program. Keep him around, if he wants to and let him continue to grow into a potential manager/coach.

The name that should be being thrown around a lot more, and Hacker probably would agree is Will Bolt. Started here for four years. Was an assistant on the best team in NU's history(2005) working with the infielders and assisted with hitting. In 2005-2007 he was an assistant for Childress at A&M. At his current gig at Texarkana College he has led them to three straight postseason tourneys. And as Hacker has mentioned before I believe has sent 20 kids to Division I teams, 11 of those to either the Big XII or SEC conferences. Will heading into this year had an overall record of 73-38. The guy needs to be thought of a little more.

Now is all this in haste. Probably. I really doubt TO does anything. He will give MA a chance with the new conference and new indoor facility. Like it or not, that is the harsh reality of the situation. TO dreads firing anyone not named Bill Clownahan.

Why couldn't we be? There's nothing stopping us, we just need to develop the right facilities and support to attract the right coach. When you have the coach and the facilities, there's no reason you can't be successful.

The biggest joke is that it took us decades to realize we were so far behind in facilities. The new practice facility we're building is going to improve things around here A LOT. That alone won't put us at the top, but it's a step in the right direction.

I suppose if they threw unreal amounts of money into the program, they could become top 10 for many years, but it would take more money than ever will be given. There are just too many things working against NU. They couldn't do it in a good baseball conference, playing half their games in the south... it's going to be even tougher in one of the weakest baseball conferences playing all northern games.

those continuing to bash the B1G's baseball positions need to reconsider their opinions. Yes, as it is now, the conference doesn't seem to place much emphasis on baseball however, several of the B1G schools are and in that, the conference powers will also. Baseball is still the nations past time and schools like Penn State, Indiana, Michigan, Nebraska, Ohio State and Minnesota are putting more emphasis into the game. Additionally, the B1G network has said it is interested in broadcasting more baseball games and if they follow through with that (and I'm relatively sure they will) then recruiting will be enhanced.

As for a coaching search. I agree with Crewe, MA will be here for at least 3 more years and truth be told, he's earned the opportunity to at least get the chance to show what he can do in the B1G. Also, his recruiting class is strong, the pitching staff is young (though we are losing haup) and our lineup is filled with youthful talent. I'm as disappointed as the next fan with this seasons outcome but I'm also realistic. The burden of a conference change has weighted heavily on "all" sports. Fan's/Coaches and Players alike all new going into this season we'd not get any "close" calls. The excitement of the conference change is a distraction, players are likely just wanting to make the move and waiting for the season to be over with so added together, I can easily make excuses for the teams performances.

As for Bolt, he deserves a shot and I'm sure would be considered "if" the change is made but to be honest everyone would likely agree, 3 more years in the Texas Juco league's would only make him a more appealing coach with even stronger Texas ties, stronger manager skills and most importantly, a much higher "national" respect. They say patience is a virtue. I've decided its best to be patient, to support our young athletes and trust in our AD to do what he feels is best for the University and the Student Athletes. After all, I personally know little about what it takes to be a successful coach at a Division 1 program. Something tells me our AD knows what he's doing.

those continuing to bash the B1G's baseball positions need to reconsider their opinions. Yes, as it is now, the conference doesn't seem to place much emphasis on baseball however, several of the B1G schools are and in that, the conference powers will also. Baseball is still the nations past time and schools like Penn State, Indiana, Michigan, Nebraska, Ohio State and Minnesota are putting more emphasis into the game. Additionally, the B1G network has said it is interested in broadcasting more baseball games and if they follow through with that (and I'm relatively sure they will) then recruiting will be enhanced.

As for a coaching search. I agree with Crewe, MA will be here for at least 3 more years and truth be told, he's earned the opportunity to at least get the chance to show what he can do in the B1G. Also, his recruiting class is strong, the pitching staff is young (though we are losing haup) and our lineup is filled with youthful talent. I'm as disappointed as the next fan with this seasons outcome but I'm also realistic. The burden of a conference change has weighted heavily on "all" sports. Fan's/Coaches and Players alike all new going into this season we'd not get any "close" calls. The excitement of the conference change is a distraction, players are likely just wanting to make the move and waiting for the season to be over with so added together, I can easily make excuses for the teams performances.

As for Bolt, he deserves a shot and I'm sure would be considered "if" the change is made but to be honest everyone would likely agree, 3 more years in the Texas Juco league's would only make him a more appealing coach with even stronger Texas ties, stronger manager skills and most importantly, a much higher "national" respect. They say patience is a virtue. I've decided its best to be patient, to support our young athletes and trust in our AD to do what he feels is best for the University and the Student Athletes. After all, I personally know little about what it takes to be a successful coach at a Division 1 program. Something tells me our AD knows what he's doing.

I'm sorry, I don't buy that the players are distracted by a conference switch one bit. These guys are trying to figure out how to win ball games, the ballparks they'll be playing in next year are the furthest thing from their mind. I'm pretty sure when Cody Asche is taking some practice cuts or when Logan Ehlers is tossing the ball, they aren't thinking "man, we're going to the Big 10 next year, awesome."

Why does Bolt having national respect make any difference? If the guy can coach, then he can coach without "national respect." Get him before other teams are after him if you're confident he can do the job. He already has ties to Texas and others, it's not like he'd need to gain more respect before he'd be able to recruit.

And as for B10 baseball, I hope they get it turned around but just because a few teams seem to be putting more emphasis on it and the B10 network has TALKED about putting a few more games on tv, doesn't mean the conference will be a power in a year. This is a conference that gets one, maybe two, into post season play each year... it takes awhile to turn something like that around.

I hope your right, but I'm skeptical