What is our record next year?

That's why we shouldn't peg the Big 10 as slow when we were consistently pegged the same way until after we played the games.

I can only base things on what I see, and outside OSU, the Big 10 is slow on overall team speed. Hell, Wisconsin's TB's are high 4.5 to 4.6 guys, just bruiser type backs. Your not gonna get the edge on the fast teams, period.

If you think that's true, you simply haven't watched Wisconsin play. Go watch James White. He's faster and more dangerous than Rex Burkhead is.

That's why we shouldn't peg the Big 10 as slow when we were consistently pegged the same way until after we played the games.

I can only base things on what I see, and outside OSU, the Big 10 is slow on overall team speed. Hell, Wisconsin's TB's are high 4.5 to 4.6 guys, just bruiser type backs. Your not gonna get the edge on the fast teams, period.

If you think that's true, you simply haven't watched Wisconsin play. Go watch James White. He's faster and more dangerous than Rex Burkhead is.

Yeah, them guys got some talent back there. Another good one is watching Missery's whole back field trying to run down Iowa's Coker. But Iowa is a one horse team right now, much like you guys and Rex.

How's your guys #2 back coming? You all are not so free with the updates, I know it's summer and not much news, everyone's going stir crazy.

We dont have a #2 right now....... 3 freshman coming in competing for that spot. If they are anything like Rex was his freshman we wont have anything to worry about.

How's your guys #2 back coming? You all are not so free with the updates, I know it's summer and not much news, everyone's going stir crazy.

We dont have a #2 right now....... 3 freshman coming in competing for that spot. If they are anything like Rex was his freshman we wont have anything to worry about.

Oh come now I know you have atleast one good option at FB, just off the top of my head.

Ok, fine I'll go first. Coker will be our #1, I have heard good news could be coming anyday on getting Rogers cleared to play (heart issues), De'Andre Johnson's name has been well spoken about this spring as well as Gimms. But the one we are all wanting to see is Mc Call. Mc Call is fresh so we might not get to see him this year but I would bet his name will be going around the B10 in no time, it just depends on how hard he wants to work for it. It's been along time since I was so impressed with a H.S. RB

We all know what Wiskey and MSU are bringing.

Surely you're old enough to remember the hype around the bowl games in 1993, 1994, 1995 & 1997, when we played FSU, Miami, Florida and Tennessee, all south teams with big speed advantages over Nebraska (so it was claimed). I seem to recall our "corn fed smash mouth" football team having no trouble keeping up with FSU in 93, and I think you remember quite well who was gassed and gasping for breath on the sidelines in the Orange Bowl in 94. If that didn't convince you, trouncing SEC teams Florida and Tennessee in 95 and 97, both times featuring elite speed when the rap on Nebraska and the Big 8 was that we were these big, slow ground-pounders, should have.

We will not suddenly become a Ferrari amongst Pintos in this conference. Every game is going to be a dogfight. We just have to be the tougher dog.

Those NU teams in the 90's were as fast as anyone. Once we moved away from the big slow concept starting in 1993, no one was claiming we couldnt run. We ran a punishing style of offense with fast athletes and an attacking, agressive style of defense with smaller, faster athletes. I'm way old enough to remember those teams, trust me. Also, I never said NU was gonna win each and every game in the Big 101112, it probably wont, but it will have an an overall speed advantage in team speed over just about anyone it plays. Wisconsin's defense doesnt run like NU's does, neither does Iowa, or Michigan, or Michigan State, or Penn State. Ohio State may be the lone exception.

Nebraska hasn't been slow on offense since the early 1980's, when we had Turner Gill, Irving Fryar, Mike Rozier, and Roger Craig running around. Our defense was what we changed in the early 1990's, when we went from an outdated 5-2 base to the 4-3. Why in the world would you compare Wisconsin's defense, or any of those other teams' defenses, to that old 5-2 we used to run? All of the modern Big 10 defenses are faster than that, nobody is as behind the times as we were back then.

Our defense is a little ahead of the times now, I could agree with that assertion, and I think we'll have the best defense in the league. And while we could hold a slight speed advantage over most of the teams in the league - that was also true when we played Iowa State. We're going into a conference where most teams are blue-collar teams like Iowa State has been the past few years, but with much more talent.

Ouch!!

A very good point Hercules but I don't really buy it. Vs the Clones we had C. Green that was......well, C. Green.

Despite Roy/Rex running wild Callawatts of course had to go away from that as it was too successful. I think a healthy Tmart/Carnes/Bubba/whoever with Beck is a totally different animal.

If you don't buy that then take a shot of the below.......

:koolaid2:

• 5 months later...

With the way that this team plays down to lessor opponents, it is hard to tell what our record will be. There is absolutely no way to tell, it is like preseason polls, at the end of the year, it never looks like the projected outcome.

But in being a good sport I am going to say 9-3, with losses to Ohio State, Wisconsin, and Chattanooga (just to get the year started off right and prove that we DO play down to our opponents level.

I honestly don't see why people are being so confident. This is a completely untested offense with new coaches all around, a schedule against some serious competition and some question marks from last season that have yet to be answered... I could definitely see this as a six-loss season.

Roark --- you are so correct. People who see us with 10 (or more!) regular season wins are to be commended for their enthusiam and are certainly updeat (which is good) but are bound to be really dissapointed. I see the regular season as a 7-5 record. There is an outside chance, probably the next most likely regular season record, at maybe 8-4.... though Roark, I'd agree that a 6-6 is also fairly reasonable a possibility. In no way can or should we expect this team to win more than 8 games in the regular season ... and that is with 4 teams on the schedule that are gimmes.

This team is way too inconsistant, is too prone to being flat, poorly prepared and play with out intensity, they have a "new" offense (maybe!) and are too prone to penalties, fumbles, taking needless sacks and... well we are still a mid-uppermis conference-level team... maybe inching up in the right direction... but a long way from a 10-11 win regular season against this upcoming schedule.

Roark and I may be wrong, and I'll go out on a limb and speak for the both of us in saying we hope we are wrong... but wow... I cannot see where these predictions are coming from... did you guys see the last 5 games of last season?

Well played robsker. Well played.

• 1 month later...

:koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2:

14-0. MNC baby!!!

:koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2:

I whiffed on my bold prediction. I'm not sure whether I was drinking Kool-Aid or bourbon. Maybe both.