What is our record next year?

I think (a bit separately) Bo's defenses also probably have a bit to prove still in terms of defending running QBs. Should be fun facing off against Denard Robinson next year, although I think our talent level is just really high right now. Bo has the midas touch, basically.

Robinson has to make it through 10 games first. I say it's 50/50 we get a Robinson/Martinez showdown - one or the other won't make it to the end of the season.

I think (a bit separately) Bo's defenses also probably have a bit to prove still in terms of defending running QBs. Should be fun facing off against Denard Robinson next year, although I think our talent level is just really high right now. Bo has the midas touch, basically.

Robinson has to make it through 10 games first. I say it's 50/50 we get a Robinson/Martinez showdown - one or the other won't make it to the end of the season.

That's pretty hard to argue with. No doubt the HCs would love to limit their carries to reduce the chance of injury......but they gotta win too. I'd say 50% max and a good 20% to 25% chance neither are available.

I honestly don't see why people are being so confident. This is a completely untested offense with new coaches all around, a schedule against some serious competition and some question marks from last season that have yet to be answered... I could definitely see this as a six-loss season.

Roark --- you are so correct. People who see us with 10 (or more!) regular season wins are to be commended for their enthusiam and are certainly updeat (which is good) but are bound to be really dissapointed. I see the regular season as a 7-5 record. There is an outside chance, probably the next most likely regular season record, at maybe 8-4.... though Roark, I'd agree that a 6-6 is also fairly reasonable a possibility. In no way can or should we expect this team to win more than 8 games in the regular season ... and that is with 4 teams on the schedule that are gimmes.

This team is way too inconsistant, is too prone to being flat, poorly prepared and play with out intensity, they have a "new" offense (maybe!) and are too prone to penalties, fumbles, taking needless sacks and... well we are still a mid-uppermis conference-level team... maybe inching up in the right direction... but a long way from a 10-11 win regular season against this upcoming schedule.

Roark and I may be wrong, and I'll go out on a limb and speak for the both of us in saying we hope we are wrong... but wow... I cannot see where these predictions are coming from... did you guys see the last 5 games of last season?

Uh, have you watched the last 2 seasons? We won 10 games last season, and were 2 ridiculous plays away from 11 wins in 2009. Are we going to win them all? Probably not. But to suggest that 6-6 is likely is ludicrous. The Big 10 is not as good as some people make it out to be. See, the bowls. Fast teams beat the big 10 teams.

We're a pretty fast team.

I'm not saying we're going 6-6, but expecting 11 wins is just as ridiculous. You bring up how we've been so close in several games...and that's just it. We haven't been able to close out. Maybe once, against OSU and their miserable defense. Most other big games, NU's either folded or let the mental aspect get the best of them. Until we can prove we can consistently close out the big games without fizzling we shouldn't be expecting conference titles.

I honestly don't see why people are being so confident. This is a completely untested offense with new coaches all around, a schedule against some serious competition and some question marks from last season that have yet to be answered... I could definitely see this as a six-loss season.

Roark --- you are so correct. People who see us with 10 (or more!) regular season wins are to be commended for their enthusiam and are certainly updeat (which is good) but are bound to be really dissapointed. I see the regular season as a 7-5 record. There is an outside chance, probably the next most likely regular season record, at maybe 8-4.... though Roark, I'd agree that a 6-6 is also fairly reasonable a possibility. In no way can or should we expect this team to win more than 8 games in the regular season ... and that is with 4 teams on the schedule that are gimmes.

This team is way too inconsistant, is too prone to being flat, poorly prepared and play with out intensity, they have a "new" offense (maybe!) and are too prone to penalties, fumbles, taking needless sacks and... well we are still a mid-uppermis conference-level team... maybe inching up in the right direction... but a long way from a 10-11 win regular season against this upcoming schedule.

Roark and I may be wrong, and I'll go out on a limb and speak for the both of us in saying we hope we are wrong... but wow... I cannot see where these predictions are coming from... did you guys see the last 5 games of last season?

Uh, have you watched the last 2 seasons? We won 10 games last season, and were 2 ridiculous plays away from 11 wins in 2009. Are we going to win them all? Probably not. But to suggest that 6-6 is likely is ludicrous. The Big 10 is not as good as some people make it out to be. See, the bowls. Fast teams beat the big 10 teams.

I'm not saying we're going 6-6, but expecting 11 wins is just as ridiculous. You bring up how we've been so close in several games...and that's just it. We haven't been able to close out. Maybe once, against OSU and their miserable defense. Most other big games, NU's either folded or let the mental aspect get the best of them. Until we can prove we can consistently close out the big games without fizzling we shouldn't be expecting conference titles.

We have a returning qb which is a very good thing. Talent & experience behind him too (Green/Carnes). Lots & lots of young speed at the skill positions (Turner, Green, Heard, Tmart) & Reed is a TE blur who can catch the ball. Lots of potential road-graders coming in too.

Bo knows defense.

Callawatts is gone and with a returning qb I think it's reasonable to expect improvement on that side of the ball. NU with an "average" offense should be about 11 wins. We've won ten the last two years with massive problems with our offense so I don't see winning one more now is ridiculous even with a slightly more difficult schedule.

PSU doesn't look overwhelming at all. Michigan has a defense even worse than our COZ blackshirts. Wisconsin while no doubt being tough lost a boatload of talent due to graduation & the Buckeyes have major, major trouble in River City. Who else is supposed to beat us?

Michigan St? Nope. Northwestern? Nope. The Hawkeyes are Wisconsin lite with their scenario so.....nope.

We're gonna be ready for the Big10. :corndance

OSU wasn't a close game. We were up 3 scores with 3 minutes to go, untile OSU scored a garbage TD. We owned them the second half.

Our team has lacked a killer instinct on the offensive side. Once we get that, it's on. Some of that was due to Watson having no faith in our offensive scheme, and some of it is Bo. He's a bit too comfortable with playing Tressel ball. That needs to change.

11 wins is unlikely, but not absurd. There's not a single team that we can't beat. Not one. Unless we play absolutely miserable (ISU 2009) then I only see 4 games that we have any business losing. I doubt we lose them all, which is how I see 10-2. CCG and bowl are nothing but a guess.

bshirt: I'm certainly not disagreeing with you. I think Beck's aggressive state of mind will be the best thing to happen to the program since Twatson got fired :P . All I'm saying is most of our offensive talent is young and untested. And don't count out MSU.

Saunders: Like I said, I think Beck is going to change the mindset. There wasn't a team on our schedule last year we had any business losing to, yet we went 10-4.

I think Beck gives our offense that killer instinct that we've lacked like you said. But you can't reprogram these guys in one year. For that reason, I say regular season 9-3 at the worst. 10-2 is my guess. 11-1 and 12-0 are attainable if we play to our potential for 13 weeks.

Is it football season yet? :koolaid2:

It will really be tough to go undefeated. I actually think we can win both @Wisconsin and vs. Ohio State. I think the Wisconsin game will be a low scoring contest. Our defense can win this game for us. Ohio State is beatable and will be interesting coming off the suspensions and how well they will play. We should win this game. My concerns are in the middle of the schedule as we grind through tough schedule. Michigan State strikes me as a team that will not make mistakes and put up some decent points...classic miscues from us will lead to a loss here. @ Penn State is also going to be tough to win there. So, those 4 games stand out to me...they can go either way and so it would not surprise me to see us win the 2 I think we may lose and lose the 2 I think we should win...just saying undefeated is not likely IMO.

I also do not want to see us lose to Ohio State in CCG. I think a likely scenario is we beat them early at home but then they regain full strength and season under them and can knock us off in CCG. I really want to win a CCG as that has eluded us recently.

The more I think about it, I think the Wisc and OSU games will not be that tough. Wisc loses a lot from last year. OSU has its issues.

I really think Penn State will surprise people this year and may win the division considering the OSU situation.

Neb plays at Penn State later in the season which gives their young team more time to gel.

Neb also plays at Mich later in the season which maybe by then, Mich will show signs of improvement. Neb at Mich early in the season and it's no contest.

Like I said above, Neb is most likely 11-1 going into the CCG against Penn State.

The more I think about it, I think the Wisc and OSU games will not be that tough. Wisc loses a lot from last year. OSU has its issues.

I really think Penn State will surprise people this year and may win the division considering the OSU situation.

Neb plays at Penn State later in the season which gives their young team more time to gel.

Neb also plays at Mich later in the season which maybe by then, Mich will show signs of improvement. Neb at Mich early in the season and it's no contest.

Like I said above, Neb is most likely 11-1 going into the CCG against Penn State.

You are predicting that a team that was owned in its last game by Washington will get past Washington, Wisconsin, Michigan, Iowa, Northwestern (who is as good as Washington, I'd think... or, at least close),Michigan State, Penn State and Ohio State with but a single loss? That is 7-1 versus teams that are at least as good, and in most cases better than, the team that just spanked us in our last game. Hmnn... seems overly optimistic to me. We closed last season very, very poorly. We lost more guys to graduation than normal. We have many, many questions to answer... seems to me that splitting the 8 games mentioned above would be about right and about as good as we can reasonably expect. Not 7-1 against that crew. But... I applaud the enthusiasm and appreciate the cheery outlook... still.... very, very unlikely.

• Fire 1

Love the confidence you have in our team, but I have to agree with robsker. To many questions on the offensive side of the ball to predict anything this early. The Washington game, again, is a measuring stick in my opinion. If we struggle against a crappy team, with a new QB, then we might be in deep trouble. Again, this is just my opinion.

IMO those big road games will come down to the defense being good or great. Remember 2009? We had the best defense in the country, and we neutralized home crowds and stadiums like a house of cards.

If we go to Camp Randall and punch Wisconsin in the mouth early like our :throwdabones1: did in 2009 those games our in our favor, but that's a pretty tall order for our D.