Rank the Big 10 Cities

Ofcourse I'm biased but I give you my list...

Lincoln

Iowa City

Columbus

Madison

Ann Arbor

Champaign

East Lansing

State College

Bloomington

Evanston

West Lafayette

Minneapolis

The top two I've been to.

3 through 11 are in no special order.

12 I've had the displeasure of trying to do business there and as far as I'm concerned Canada can have it.

T_O_B

:bonesflag:

Preface by saying 1-9 are all better than South Bend.

1. Evanston if it counts as Chicago. It shouldn't since they're a ways apart.

2. Minny. Got enough sports.

3. Ann Arbor. I lived there a year. Nice enough, but would get boring.

4. Urbana-Champaign. Some nice houses in a sea of corn.

5. Bloomington. Supringly nice.

6. Lincoln. Never been but sounds like Champaign.

7. Iowas City: Never been. Heard nothing.

8. State College. Isolated.

9. Madison. They're kinda funny.

10. East Lansing: The entire state is getting emptied of people. I don't know how they recruit anyone up there.

11. West Lafayette. Zzzzzzz. "City" is a stretch.

12. Columbus. Biased by every Dbag I met in Ohio from there. They are insane, as you will find out. I'd go back to Toledo or Cincy, but never to here.

Madison as a city is just phenomenal. Quick access to Milwaukee and Chicago. Own decent number of events. Great Taste of the Midwest Beer Fest! Situated around a billion lakes. State Street. Gorgeous campus. Huge party atmosphere if you want it. Good business and good jobs. State Capital so many jobs for lawyers and political types. Lots of green movements for the hippies. Urban areas for those who like it. Great mix of people from all sorts of cultures meaning a great variety of food. Lots of sports activities for those who want them (sailing, fishing, volleyball leagues, kickball leagues, frisbee golf, and traditional sports). Doesn't get terribly hot in the summer. Good football, volleyball, hockey and basketball programs to watch. Close drive to a regulation wiffleball stadium.

How many of these do the other cities boast? Only Evanston can even compare and the lake is nothing special, too big. Better to live around a large number of smaller lakes. It just wins in terms of job opportunities and events. The culture is not any better and commuting on tollroads is the worst thing in the world.

I wasn't thinking politically, just commenting on the general mindset of Lincolnites.

I dunno, I'm pretty laid back.

Do you think you're indicative of the general mindset of Lincolnites, or do you think maybe you're a little more easy going? I'd go with the latter, based on what little I know of you.

I'm a little confused looking at some peoples lists, how can you rank Lincoln highly and a big plus is its proximity to Omaha, then nearly all of you have Evanston ranked near the bottom. Evenston is a nice town and its minutes from Chicago. If the city and having options is important to you, then Evenston smashes Lincoln. But I guess thats just my opinion. I have visited that area a number of times and live here. :dunno Anyway, here is my list as an outsider who has visited a number of these places and has no attachment to any

#1-Evanston, IL

#2- Minneapolis, MN

#3-Columbus, OH

#4-Madison, WI

#5-Ann Arbor, MI

#6-Lincoln, NE

#7-Champaign, IL

#8-State College, PN

#9-Iowa City, IA

#10-Bloomington, IN

#11-East Lansing, MI

#12-West Lafayette, IN

- - - - - - - -

It's probably just Lincoln bias and an unfamiliarity with the other places. Having lived in Omaha for 18 years and in Lincoln for three, I'd be the first to admit that I don't like Lincoln. And with the new arena being built soon, the downtown area is going to become even worse for parking and traffic than it already is. I'm definitely not excited for that.

Furthermore, I give Lincoln a lot of flak for not having some type of interstate system that is easily accessible like in Omaha. At this point it's near impossible to make one that connects the major parts of Lincoln, but for those of you that have lived by the campus you know how tough it is to get anywhere. The campus to South Point is about a 20 minute drive, and it's not even worth it during rush hour. East Lincoln is much nicer as far as traffic and congestion is concerned, but the western parts of Lincoln are hell.

Anyways, I cannot wait until the interstate connecting Lincoln and Omaha is completely finished. I've heard that if you can connect Lincoln and Omaha with three lane interstate you can classify it as one major metropolitan area.

• Fire 1

After my 6.5 mile commute this morning took 27 minutes I can honestly say Lincoln has one of the worst infrastructures I've ever witnessed. I would have to doc them big time for that..

It truly is a horror, isn't it? And how many times have you stopped at light... after light... after light... after light... on the same street? This town intentionally slows you down, as if it's a bad thing to be able to time your lights correctly so that traffic flows.

And don't even get me started on the stupid roundabouts they're putting in. When Elmer and Twyla come in from 54 county on their third time driving on paved roads, they're going to be confused as all get-out by these things. Driving in Lincoln is an exercise in controlled rage. I'm surprised there aren't more road rage incidents.

After my 6.5 mile commute this morning took 27 minutes I can honestly say Lincoln has one of the worst infrastructures I've ever witnessed. I would have to doc them big time for that..

It truly is a horror, isn't it? And how many times have you stopped at light... after light... after light... after light... on the same street? This town intentionally slows you down, as if it's a bad thing to be able to time your lights correctly so that traffic flows.

And don't even get me started on the stupid roundabouts they're putting in. When Elmer and Twyla come in from 54 county on their third time driving on paved roads, they're going to be confused as all get-out by these things. Driving in Lincoln is an exercise in controlled rage. I'm surprised there aren't more road rage incidents.

I may be biased since every place I need to go to Lincoln other than school (work, grocery store, etc.) is on 27th street, but 27th is by the far the street I hate most. It's especially bad the few miles north and south of campus.

I wasn't thinking politically, just commenting on the general mindset of Lincolnites.

I dunno, I'm pretty laid back.

Do you think you're indicative of the general mindset of Lincolnites, or do you think maybe you're a little more easy going? I'd go with the latter, based on what little I know of you.

I think we've pinpointed the problem:

ROAD RAAAAAAAAAAGE!!!!

I am really surprised about how high you all have MN on your list. I live here and it is not that great. Tailgaiting is terrible and the campus sucks. There are some decent bars in the area, but it really is not that great. The new stadium is small, but nice. Just curious why some of you would put MN so high...

I am really surprised about how high you all have MN on your list. I live here and it is not that great. Tailgaiting is terrible and the campus sucks. There are some decent bars in the area, but it really is not that great. The new stadium is small, but nice. Just curious why some of you would put MN so high...

I thought this thread was about the city themselves, not specific to football.

Because of that reason alone, I'd have Columbus as #1, Minneapolis as #2, and Evanston as #3.

Job prospects alone is enough to make Columbus #1 for me.

Ranking the cities not the college campus.

I love UofM's academic programs. I hate their campus and everything else about it. Minneapolis is still a sweet place to live for four years for college, but I gave Columbus and Madison the edge because at least you have a college team to support that isn't abyssal.