Random Questions and Thoughts...

Pretty sure we (the students at the time) rushed the field after the 2001 Oklahoma game. Memory that far back is a bit hazy, but I we were out there during the college days. And god knows 02' - '04 didn't give me any reasons to rush the field.

Pretty sure we (the students at the time) rushed the field after the 2001 Oklahoma game. Memory that far back is a bit hazy, but I we were out there during the college days. And god knows 02' - '04 didn't give me any reasons to rush the field.

If by "rush the field" means run to the nearest source of alcohol - many of the Billy-gate era games made me do this

I was at the Colorado game in 1994, the goalposts, despite the inch thick coating of grease, were torn down and carried thru the gate 24 exit. it would not fit thru so the hundreds of fans following all began to push as one adnd the thing broke in half, it was then carried out to the Gameday set on the east side of the stadium and laid across the desk right in front of Fowler, Corso and James, for all three had predicted Colorado to win the game. I'm not sure, but I think I've seen footage that they were on the air live doing hightlights of other games when that happened. I was also there for both Colorado and Kansas in 92, and Oklahomas in 91 and 93 when the field was rushed. If you watch the abc footage of the 94 colorado game, pay attention to the endzone view of Eric alford after his long 3rd qtr td catch and you can clearly see the thick coating of grease on the goal post in an effort to keep people off of them. That game was pretty much the last time we really saw a "rush" of the field. I guess winning big games just became to normal for us.

If by "rush the field" means run to the nearest source of alcohol - many of the Billy-gate era games made me do this

Oh, I know. There simply wasn't enough J. Beam to compensate for those days...

Some people have reservations about field rushing. For starters a lot of fans view them as something fans from lesser programs do. "It's not something Nebraska fans should do" because we expect to win, we're better than that, etc.

Personally, I think rushing the field and celebrating is cool. At the same time it is extremely dangerous. You're talking about hundreds (maybe thousands) of possibly drunk (or slightly intoxicated) people rushing onto a field with a men weighing hundreds of pounds strapped into their equipment. And then throw on top of it the fact that one team is probably upset at the time, something bad could happen. Hell, it happened to us in the early 2000's when one of our players hit a Missouri fan. I don't think fans should rush a football field for safety reasons.

Second, some programs claim illegitimate titles because they can. It gives them something to sell recruits that buy into that kind of stuff. Hell, Missouri flaunted their shared 2010 Big 12 North title even though they didn't play in the title game. It will be interesting what they do now that they can't win a division in a conference anymore...

I appreciate the response. Since it's been so long, I would say a field rush after a win over the Buckeyes would be in order, would it not?

18 Titles. Nice.

um no. we are not iowa state. :facepalm:

Well, only if the Buckeyes are still in the top 5.