SIGNED QB Tommy Armstrong*

ADS

Why in heaven's name would he have to beat out Martinez? We need to get to a spot where we aren't starting Frosh QB's, and if Taylor starts 2 more years, Tommy would be a RS Soph.. nothing wrong with sitting until then.

in fact that sounds pretty damn good to me. he'll have 2-3 years under center and then the next guy comes in. we haven't had any kind of continuity at QB, yet you watch these SEC teams win championships with 3rd year starters (cept the freak Newton).

This. This year was the 1st year we've had a returning starter at QB since Zac Taylor in '06.

Joe Ganz in '08 - not a lot of games, but some. That, and he was in this program for a long time already. That's solid continuity even if he wasn't starting. It's why he had the whole team behind him, he wasn't some guy that just showed up in year 5.

Zac Lee in '10. We had a returning starter, we just chose to go the inexperienced freshman route.

IMO, continuity is more about years within the program. Years started plays a part, too, but both are important. A guy who has been in the program just one year, but started all of it...that's good for continuity. A guy who has been here for four, and is just starting his first...still good.

Tommy Armstrong will play at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, TX @ 8:00pm Saturday night. If you can't make the game, Fox Sports Southwest will broadcast it on TV, except for in Dallas where the Stars (NHL) will be broadcast and the Cibolo Steele game will be broadcast on Fox Sports Plus. There will also be a web streaming of the game for those of you in other areas of the country.

This kid is a winner. A leader. A hard worker... He's who can take us that extra level we need. Question is: will Bo give him the opportunity to do it and yank Martinez?

I have Dish Network and live in the San Antonio area. Just checked the schedule for Fox Sports Southwest for Saturday night at 8:00 P.M. The schedule shows Louisana 5A, Division II championship to be televised from 8:00 till 11:00 P.M. I could understand seeing the Dallas Stars, but Louisana High School Football? Maybe they just misspelled Texas.

By the way, I just watched highlights of Cibolo Steele Football on KSAT 12 News at noon. They showed Tommy's 81 yard run for a touchdown and he had it in afterburner mode. I know he is only playing against high school competition, but he is fast anyway you look at it.

Cibolo Steele quarterback and Husker commitment Tommy Armstrong will play in the Texas 5A Division II State Championship on Saturday, the Knights second straight title opportunity.

On Tuesday night, in an interview with Big Red Report's Josh Harvey for "5 Stars" radio on Friday afternoon, Armstrong indicated he's expecting a large crowd of supporters for the game.

"All the Nebraska offensive coaches are going to watch me," said Armstrong. "I think there are six of them. It means a lot, considering the game is on Fox Sports Southwest television and they could just watch it."

LINK

Tough loss for Steele tonight. As heartbroken as Tommy probably is right now, the kid had a heck of a 2-year career at QB going 29-3 with a state title to show for it.

That other guy from Florida with the same first name but different spelling (Tommie) went 25-3 as a 2-year starting QB, except he never won a state title. The best he ever did was make it to the semifinals his junior year.

In my painfully harebrained attempt at shoddy logic for kicks & giggles, Armstrong will have an equally successful career as Frazier did at NU and win us a national title or two. How did I come to this outrageous conclusion? Because his first name is Tommy (with a slight deviation in spelling) and it'll be exactly 20 years since the first Tommie arrived on campus. :blink:

Yeah, I went there. We're due for another glorious chapter in Husker football. Bring on Mr. Armstrong!!! :koolaid2:

What were his stats for the game? Did he handle pressure well or choke under pressure?

Poor gameplan from coaches, uncharacteristic turnovers and good defensive effort by the opposition. Still think Tommy could have won the game on his arm with a proper game plan.

Armstrong had 10 carries for 57 yards, most of which came on a 25 yd run. However, he did lose about 20 yards on a bad shotgun snap that (I assume) counted against his rushing total. Didn't get a lot of chances to run.

He was 8 for 18 throwing for 101 yds, 2 TDs and 2 INTs. Has a very strong arm but isn't particularly accurate - several of his completions we on WR screen-type plays.

Overall, I see a lot of promise. Has very good feet and can make plays running. Very strong arm but will need some time to develop as a passer.

Should fit in perfectly to be ready to go in two years.