SIGNED QB Tommy Armstrong*

ADS

Thought this was interesting and really puts Armstrong's abilities in proper perspective. This is a pre-game breakdown of the semifinal game that already occurred today. Note the bolded parts in particular.

Breakdown

Steele Offense vs. PA Memorial's defense+ Steele is averaging 36.1 points per game and runs a ball control offense that will try to keep Memorial off the field. PA Memorial's defense has been strong against the run, giving up just 126.0 yards per game. Steele quarterback Tommy Armstrong has not thrown an interception all season but Jaylon Howard, now playing safety, has six interceptions for Port Arthur Memorial. Memorial's defense should take away Steele's ability to run the ball. Steele has an average offensive line without any Division I prospects but runs a zone-blocking scheme which makes up for that.

Edge: PA Memorial – Steele has yet to face a defense with the speed of Memorial's.

LINK

Armstrong and his Steele team produced 519 rushing yards tonight (with Armstrong accounting for 133 of those rushing yds.) against a team that was only allowing 126 yds. rushing per game this year. Not too bad for a 15-0 team with an "average offensive line with no Division I prospects" huh?

Armstrong's stats aren't flashy by comparison to past Texas QB's we've recruited (Cody Green, Jamal Turner) but he seems to be a "grade A" game manager with very few mistakes. He's only fumbled twice this year and that was in his first game of the season against Aaron Green's alma mater, Madison. As already noted above, he's thrown zero interceptions so far this year heading into the state finals next weekend. By all accounts from people down in Texas (media, coaches, scouts, etc.) he's a straight up gamer and winner. Not flashy, but reliable.

Thought this was interesting and really puts Armstrong's abilities in proper perspective. This is a pre-game breakdown of the semifinal game that already occurred today. Note the bolded parts in particular.

Breakdown

Steele Offense vs. PA Memorial's defense+ Steele is averaging 36.1 points per game and runs a ball control offense that will try to keep Memorial off the field. PA Memorial's defense has been strong against the run, giving up just 126.0 yards per game. Steele quarterback Tommy Armstrong has not thrown an interception all season but Jaylon Howard, now playing safety, has six interceptions for Port Arthur Memorial. Memorial's defense should take away Steele's ability to run the ball. Steele has an average offensive line without any Division I prospects but runs a zone-blocking scheme which makes up for that.

Edge: PA Memorial – Steele has yet to face a defense with the speed of Memorial's.

LINK

Armstrong and his Steele team produced 519 rushing yards tonight (with Armstrong accounting for 133 of those rushing yds.) against a team that was only allowing 126 yds. rushing per game this year. Not too bad for a 15-0 team with an "average offensive line with no Division I prospects" huh?

Armstrong's stats aren't flashy by comparison to past Texas QB's we've recruited (Cody Green, Jamal Turner) but he seems to be a "grade A" game manager with very few mistakes. He's only fumbled twice this year and that was in his first game of the season against Aaron Green's alma mater, Madison. As already noted above, he's thrown zero interceptions so far this year heading into the state finals next weekend. By all accounts from people down in Texas (media, coaches, scouts, etc.) he's a straight up gamer and winner. Not flashy, but reliable.

the guy is a straight savage...hopefully we can get the complete package going for him by the time he has the chance to be a starter and has learned the system proper.....

Cibolo Steele High School quarterback Tommy Armstrong jumps over Port Arthur Memorial High School's Jaylon Howard for his second touchdown during the second quarter of a Class 5-A Division II semifinal high school football game, Saturday, Dec. 10, 2011, in Reliant Stadium in Houston.

Photo: Houston Chronicle, Nick De La Torre / © 2011 Houston Chronicle

2dysp.jpg

LINK

FYI Tommy's championship game vs Spring Dekany is Sat December 17@ 8pm on Fox Sports Southwest if you get it. Sadly I got rid of the sports package on Dish so I won't be watching it. You may be able to stream it online though. Also Southlake Carroll plays FB Madison? at 4 the same day. Should be a good one as well.

Go Tommy! Husker Nation will be with you!

• Fire 1

FYI Tommy's championship game vs Spring Dekany is Sat December 17@ 8pm on Fox Sports Southwest if you get it. Sadly I got rid of the sports package on Dish so I won't be watching it. You may be able to stream it online though. Also Southlake Carroll plays FB Madison? at 4 the same day. Should be a good one as well.

Madison lost to Hightower yesterday, hence it'll be Southlake Carroll vs Hightower in the finals. Current Huskers, Aaron Green (Madison alum) and Harvey Jackson (Hightower alum) were talking smack to each other via Twitter throughout the week about the game. Looks like Harvey has bragging rights now.

Madison lost to Hightower yesterday, hence it'll be Southlake Carroll vs Hightower in the finals. Current Huskers, Aaron Green (Madison alum) and Harvey Jackson (Hightower alum) were talking smack to each other via Twitter throughout the week about the game. Looks like Harvey has bragging rights now.

I was gonna say it would be tough to play two games at the same time wouldnt it? Dont they play all their class championship games at Cowboy stadium?

Tommy Armstrong will play at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, TX @ 8:00pm Saturday night. If you can't make the game, Fox Sports Southwest will broadcast it on TV, except for in Dallas where the Stars (NHL) will be broadcast and the Cibolo Steele game will be broadcast on Fox Sports Plus. There will also be a web streaming of the game for those of you in other areas of the country.

This kid is a winner. A leader. A hard worker... He's who can take us that extra level we need. Question is: will Bo give him the opportunity to do it and yank Martinez?

Tommy Armstrong will play at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, TX @ 8:00pm Saturday night. If you can't make the game, Fox Sports Southwest will broadcast it on TV, except for in Dallas where the Stars (NHL) will be broadcast and the Cibolo Steele game will be broadcast on Fox Sports Plus. There will also be a web streaming of the game for those of you in other areas of the country.

This kid is a winner. A leader. A hard worker... He's who can take us that extra level we need. Question is: will Bo give him the opportunity to do it and yank Martinez?

Not as a true freshman...

Why in heaven's name would he have to beat out Martinez? We need to get to a spot where we aren't starting Frosh QB's, and if Taylor starts 2 more years, Tommy would be a RS Soph.. nothing wrong with sitting until then.

in fact that sounds pretty damn good to me. he'll have 2-3 years under center and then the next guy comes in. we haven't had any kind of continuity at QB, yet you watch these SEC teams win championships with 3rd year starters (cept the freak Newton).