SIGNED QB Tommy Armstrong*

ADS

Man... do they take their High School football serious there The announcers were better than some of the CBS announcers and the production quality of the film was like a major college game. Amazing!

And... Armstrong looks promising.

Thanks for posting this video. Glad we have Tommy ... potential yes. Overall, I think Tommy created some nice opportunities, extended some plays as the QB. Surprised to see him be the Punter. Felt he was too quick on 7-8 runs ... needs more patience and allow for blocking to develop and/or the whole to develop and open up. Passing wise ... he had a lot of throw it up and see what happpens. His receivers seemed to drop some catches ... kinda like our WR's. I wasn't overly impressed with his throwing motion and his footwork was terrible at times. I like these "dual threat" QB but I "feel" we are back to having to develop basic mechanics on the passing side of this recruit ... and that concerns me.

I agree. His throwing motion still needs work, keeping the feet moving would be nice, but overall, looks like a lot of talent. 61% completion with no interceptions on 887 yards, impressive and the DB's on the other team seem to blanket his receivers. He seems to distribute the ball well and knows the offense.

His footwork and follow-through are issues --- but those issues are easy to fix. The actual throwing motion that he has is quite solid and is many levels ahead of TMart (who also has footwork and follow-through issues to boot). His arm motion and hip rotation are solid --- and those are the hardest things to change in a QB --- footwork especially is easier to fix... especially if the arm motion is OK (which for Tommy is OK). I hope he gets the footwork down before he gets to NU --- because NU coaches have not positively changed anything associated with the mechanics of their QB's --- it is as if the NU coaches could care less that their QB's mechanics would make most High School coaches cringe.

I agree. His throwing motion still needs work, keeping the feet moving would be nice, but overall, looks like a lot of talent. 61% completion with no interceptions on 887 yards, impressive and the DB's on the other team seem to blanket his receivers. He seems to distribute the ball well and knows the offense.

His footwork and follow-through are issues --- but those issues are easy to fix. The actual throwing motion that he has is quite solid and is many levels ahead of TMart (who also has footwork and follow-through issues to boot). His arm motion and hip rotation are solid --- and those are the hardest things to change in a QB --- footwork especially is easier to fix... especially if the arm motion is OK (which for Tommy is OK). I hope he gets the footwork down before he gets to NU --- because NU coaches have not positively changed anything associated with the mechanics of their QB's --- it is as if the NU coaches could care less that their QB's mechanics would make most High School coaches cringe.

and to hear them say, it is what it is, that's just Taylor, makes me cringe.

His arm motion and hip rotation are solid

I agree Robsker

and to hear them say, it is what it is, that's just Taylor, makes me cringe.

Cody Green had the best footwork on the team. If you would have gotten to see him play last year his footwork on intermediate routes was impecable.

• 3 weeks later...
Steele's Tommy Armstrong said he used to get a little too animated in the huddle.

His ultra-competitive nature is part of the reason Steele has won 23 straight games. But if Armstrong is high-strung, he said he remembers what former Steele running back Malcolm Brown would tell him.

“‘You're the quarterback,'” Brown would say in the huddle. “‘You stay calm, we all stay calm. It all starts with you.'”

Continue Reading

I'm going to be honest, if Fuller comes he better be open to playing Wr because I don't see him beating out Tommy. Tommy is the real deal at QB.

I feel the exact opposite way. I'm not sold on Tommy all that much but Fuller is a game changer...I want him touching the ball every single play.

I'm going to be honest, if Fuller comes he better be open to playing Wr because I don't see him beating out Tommy. Tommy is the real deal at QB.

I feel the exact opposite way. I'm not sold on Tommy all that much but Fuller is a game changer...I want him touching the ball every single play.

Well his feet make him a game changer. Tommy plays against much better competition on a week to week basis. I also think he's a better passer then Fuller too. Fuller can run and might be even faster than Taylor but I see something about Tommy that Fuller doesn't show on tape. He has savvy and understands his offense that looks to be more intricate than Fullers. He looks more like a quarterback than an athlete taking snaps.

Well his feet make him a game changer. Tommy plays against much better competition on a week to week basis. I also think he's a better passer then Fuller too. Fuller can run and might be even faster than Taylor but I see something about Tommy that Fuller doesn't show on tape. He has savvy and understands his offense that looks to be more intricate than Fullers. He looks more like a quarterback than an athlete taking snaps.

Watching Tommy's film I came away very impressed with his feel of the game and think he is a very good pick up. However, I also want Fuller on our team, you just can't pass up that talent if possible.

If I had to pick a few players that Fuller could be a lot like it would be Pat White (which would be awesome) or D. Robinson. I'd much rather have a Pat White type but obviously Fuller comes with a few less ticks on that 40. I want him just as bad as the next guy but I'd prefer a more balanced prospect at Qb like Tommy.