SIGNED QB Tommy Armstrong*

ADS

Watching those highlights, you can tell he's a natural athlete and a good runner, and maybe it was just a bad game, but he looks like he needs a lot of work as a passer.

didn't he go the whole season without throwing a pick until the state title game? considering he's playing at perhaps the highest level of high school football, i'd say he's got at least some ability in the passing game.

Yes his first interception was in the state title game. It happens. I want you to look though at his reads. I watched the kid live twice this year and he locks in and boom throws it. Interceptions happen, but this kid is a reach. Just do not want people to get their hopes up is all.

Watching those highlights, you can tell he's a natural athlete and a good runner, and maybe it was just a bad game, but he looks like he needs a lot of work as a passer.

didn't he go the whole season without throwing a pick until the state title game? considering he's playing at perhaps the highest level of high school football, i'd say he's got at least some ability in the passing game.

Yes his first interception was in the state title game. It happens. I want you to look though at his reads. I watched the kid live twice this year and he locks in and boom throws it. Interceptions happen, but this kid is a reach. Just do not want people to get their hopes up is all.

Not sure what you are saying, do you think he is good or not?

I think tommy looks like a good prospect, but he is still in high school and needs some work. I am very happy to have him here and he should be the best passer when he steps on campus.

I cant get enough of this guys awesome fundamentals, he already blows TM out of the water fundamentally!! What a talent, good thing he is coming here!

He's got his own fundamental problems but not as bad as ... well, you know.

Pretty long stride and a big windup make for a slow delivery but it's screaming once it gets out of his hand. I watched the championship game and wish he would have gotten to unload it downfield because he looks like he's got a cannon of an arm but he'll have some things to work on as well.

• Fire 1

How many quarterbacks coming out of high school are a finished product?

What says he can't improve?

If that was a question for me, I expect that he will improve. Don't get me wrong, I don't think he has a long way to go. Anyone with as much zip on the ball as he's got has to be doing a lot of things right. But that doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement.

I cant get enough of this guys awesome fundamentals, he already blows TM out of the water fundamentally!! What a talent, good thing he is coming here!

big windup make for a slow delivery

Strongly disagree based on his film.

big windup make for a slow delivery

Strongly disagree based on his film.

You disagree with both posts, or just one?

The issue isn't mechanics, and certainly not arm strength, which is excellent. It's accuracy and the fact that he doesn't seem to even make one read on many of his passes. It looks like he has one receiver on a given play that he knows he's supposed to throw to, and he launches the ball in that direction no matter how well they're covered. My overriding thought watching the highlights of that game a couple pages back was 'if he regularly makes throws like that, how does he not get picked off all time?' I think his TD/INT ratio has people convinced that he's a better passer than he is... then again, I could be dead wrong. I've only watched a highlight video of one game, and I probably shouldn't be trying to draw a lot of conclusions from it.

With all that said, I don't want anyone to misunderstand me. I think Armstrong is a great QB prospect. I hope he redshirts and works on learning the offense, getting through reads, and throwing some touch passes. If he puts in the work he has the physical tools to be excellent.

• Fire 1

He has a pitcher's windup, which makes it look like a slow delivery. But from the clips I've seen, he's already starting his motion as he's planting his back leg, which helps speed up his release. It's not the quickest I've seen, but I don't think it should be too much of a problem.

Can you please read my entire post instead of trying to pick apart one phrase?

I said the ball is "screaming" coming out of his hand, he's got a "cannon arm", has "zip on the ball" and is "doing a lot of things right." Then people accuse me of saying he can't improve which is made up out of nowhere. I said comparing him to Kiel is "setting the bar pretty high" but just needed someone to compare him to.

The comment I originally replied to said he has "awesome mechanics". I think that is overstated based on what a lot of QB experts would look for in a delivery. I'd say they are pretty good but it would nice if he would quicken up his delivery. With as strong of an arm as he seems to have, I would think he could do this without losing much.

I believe I said earlier in the thread that I'm excited to have him because he looks like he could be a really good QB. But if he's as good now as he's ever going to be, maybe I'm wrong.

Everyone needs to calm down about Tommys mechanics... Still a Hugh school senior and we're not expecting him to come in and be Tom Brady!!! What we need out of him is above average accuracy and abilities to give us a threat to throw downfield in early downs. His ability to run which I think is excellent will help in terms of making his throwing motion a slightly less important attribute. IMO he throws. Very good deep ball and doesn't lock on to his primary on pass plays closer to the line of scrimmage. Seems to know where the hot reads are and maneuvers in the pocket well without just taking off all the time. Probably gonna redshirt if carnes stAys anyways. Get him some coaching then let's break him down.first look prob. 2013 red-white!!