McKewon: Huskers test quarterback market

Nebraska’s football coaches kicked stress to the curb early last recruiting season when they recruited quarterbacks Jamal Turner and Bubba Starling. Both said yes to NU before their senior seasons.

Of course, it’s no cinch that either will play the position for the Huskers.

Advertisement

Turner enrolled early and quickly moved to receiver. Coach Bo Pelini seemed quite content to keep him there after some of Turner’s electric-eel plays in the spring game. Starling’s story you know: Major League Baseball money vs. college football glory. Toss in the end of Kody Spano’s hard-luck career, and Nebraska just might dip its toe in the quarterback recruiting pool for 2012.

Key word there: might.

If Starling spurns pro baseball, he would join a quarterback competition that includes a junior (Cody Green), sophomore (Taylor Martinez) and redshirt freshman (Brion Carnes). In that case, there’s no need to throw another log on the fire. But if Bubba bolts, the Huskers are back in the hunt. Makes sense to window shop now just in case.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110525/BIGRED/705259722/-1#mckewon-huskers-test-quarterback-market

More Qb talk for the summer...

I hope we go out and get a guy ....... I think you need to keep bringing them in, between injuries and kids that just don't make it, or who are better in a different positon, I think to get a solid 2 deep with an ok third deep year in and year out requires at least one or two every year.

It never hurts to have as much talent in the stable as possible. Even if a guy isn't mentally ready, or just not ready but possesses the tools to be really special...sit him, have him learn the system and get him reps in against better competition (than say high school ball). I wouldn't call it adding fodder, but adding depth in any way, always helps. Injuries can happen, we all know that.

just get an athletic QB like we have been..... green, martinez, turner, and bubba..... all of them could play other positions

Green couldn't/can't play another position. If we can't get Devin Fuller I don't think we need to recruit another QB. Martinez is only a sophomore and Carnes is a freshman. These 2 are the present/future.

Do we HAVE to get a guy that can flat out move? What if he's a darn good passer, but still has scrambling ability? Would you still take a speedster/juker with average throwing ability over that? Just curious.

Well, if he can't move very well I doubt his scrambling ability does a lot of good.

Beck says we're going for a "run first" offense that "we'll hang our hat on". A statue at qb probably wouldn't be a good fit is my guess.

Do we HAVE to get a guy that can flat out move? What if he's a darn good passer, but still has scrambling ability? Would you still take a speedster/juker with average throwing ability over that? Just curious.

Well, if he can't move very well I doubt his scrambling ability does a lot of good.

Beck says we're going for a "run first" offense that "we'll hang our hat on". A statue at qb probably wouldn't be a good fit is my guess.

Right, but I wasn't saying to have Kerry Collins back there. But maybe, an Aaron Rodgers kind of guy wouldn't be terrible. But, I do understand with the run first orient the offense is/has gone to. Just wondering is all :)

just get an athletic QB like we have been..... green, martinez, turner, and bubba..... all of them could play other positions

Green couldn't/can't play another position. If we can't get Devin Fuller I don't think we need to recruit another QB. Martinez is only a sophomore and Carnes is a freshman. These 2 are the present/future.

You always try to get one quarterback a year. Always.

You always try to get one quarterback a year. Always.

Agreed. Yes we seem happy with Martinez and Carnes as a backup, but lets say Carnes leaves, Bubba doesn't come and here we are two years from now with Martinez and either moving Turner to QB or using a walk-on. I don't think those things will happen, but you just want SOMEONE as an insurance plan.

I love having a speedster at QB, but given the choice I think you have to take a great passer with scrambling abilities over a speedster with some throwing abilities everytime. When you need ground yards, you should always have a running back or two you can lean on, when you need 15 yards to keep the drive alive you have no one to rely on other than your QB.

• Fire 4

Green couldn't play another position? He was an athlete that was being recruited as such by most schools, and could have played multiple positions.

We are in bad need of a QB right now. We needed 2 QBs bad from last year's class, and now there's a good chance neither of the ones we got plays QB for us.

I would much rather see us bulk up in linebacker and tight end recruiting than QB right now.

I mean if bubba doesn't come, you still have a proven Turner that can switch back to QB. Thy didn't mention Kellogg or Tyson Broekemeier, Joes younger brother. So while talent may not be that great or proven, depth is there.

A proven Turner? In what sense is Turner proven? A true freshman athlete that was quickly moved to receiver, where he has been focusing. And walk-ons like Kellogg that don't seem to fit in the new system at all. There is no depth.

Striking out on QB recruits is how programs end up screwed...and that happens often even with taking QBs year after year because they get hurt, wash out, transfer, etc.

We needed two QBs bad last year, and we probably are getting neither. I think we will need two QBs bad again next year. By the time they get here, Taylor will be a junior and Brion a sophomore. If they redshirt, by the time they can play as true freshmen Taylor will be a senior and Brion a junior. Our QBs that will be in this class are very important.