Washington at Nebraska Preview

Texas was motivated to win that game, we were not. If we come out flat, again, against UW it will be a tough game. Sayin that, I agree with Enhance and walksalone this game could turn out to be another beat down.

I strongly disagree with this. Remember "Wear Red. Be Loud. Beat Texas." Remember the last three meetings against them? That was our marquee game of the year despite Texas not being a good team, and we blew it big time.

What a bunch of excuses. Wahhhh, we already beat Arizona, wahhh we weren't motivated.

You guys proved over the course of the season that you got worse while the Huskies proved that they got better at the end. And that's why you lost the Holiday Bowl. Not because Martinez was injured, not because you weren't interested, its because Washington was a better team at the end.

Washington won, despite your illegal tactics on pass defense, end of discussion.

There are reasons teams lose football games, and there are reasons teams win football games. What you're saying, seriously, makes absolutely no sense. I can't stand when one person accuses another of making excuses. There's a reason for everything. Your fans made a ton of excuses after we embarrassed you in your own stadium. You've never, ever made an excuse for losing a football game? Because there's no way you can say what you just said unless that's true, which is completely false and you know it. Is the light bulb on in there buddy?

Washington got better throughout the season, Nebraska got injured and got worse. Washington was happy to get to the Holiday Bowl, Nebraska was upset they floundered the season no matter what you read in the papers.

Oh yeah, and as far as those "illegal tactics". Everything Nebraska does pushes the limit on defense. We go right up to where a referee might call it but doesn't. And we have a Top 10 defense to show for it. Your "illegal tactics" free defense was ranked what, again?

• Fire 1

What a bunch of excuses. Wahhhh, we already beat Arizona, wahhh we weren't motivated.

You guys proved over the course of the season that you got worse while the Huskies proved that they got better at the end. And that's why you lost the Holiday Bowl. Not because Martinez was injured, not because you weren't interested, its because Washington was a better team at the end.

Washington won, despite your illegal tactics on pass defense, end of discussion.

Well Farmer Ted, we'll see whats what on September 17th...

I have a feeling that the horrific performance the Huskers exhibited during the Holiday Bowl, will be vastly different this time around.

I had hoped this would not lead to smack talk (though I'm not all that surprised) but both sides brought up some valid points...none of which hadn't been discussed. I sure don't fault NU for pushing around the WR's, in fact I'm glad they did...toughen them up and do some of that in the PAC12. It isn't illegal if the refs don't call it. I sure wasn't crying "illegal" when Ta'amu flung Martinez around like a rag doll and slammed him into the turf. It's a man's game.

I know some Nebraska fans were upset by Sarks halftime comments about winning the war of attrition on the field by having a few players knocked out of the game, but you can't have it both ways. The NU players weren't taken out on cheap shots or anything, just part of the game. My football coach always said: football isn't a contact sport, it's a collision sport.

NU DBs push the limit up to the point where the ref's might call it, they won the battle but the Huskies won the war.

Aw, that was cute. You really think our starting QB being injured had nothing to do with the end of our season? Some fans really aren't that knowledgeable and it really doesn't represent your fan base well, at all. Please use a little reason and logic next time you try and degrade the Huskers.

Likewise that NU fans think that the defensive QB being I injured in the first game (Cort Dennison) and a true freshman, in his third game in college, is sent in to lead a defense. It's disingenuous of you to think that that had no impact on the game. Hell, at least you had Martinez there for the bowl game Dennison didn't even suit up for the first game.

LULZ!!! Illegal tactics.

Maybe if your receivers could actually get off the jam, or find ways to get open against our Zone defense, or even change up the way they approach the line of scrimmage so our defense wouldn't pre-determine their route? You know, watching film on what players do and how they act to get open with certain routes?

Besides, I read a stat somewhere where Jake Locker had to throw the ball away X amount of times his Senior year, not JUST the Nebraska game, but he shockingly had to throw the ball way against other teams too. So maybe your wide receivers aren't that good?

His completion percentage would suffer from throw aways, and receivers not being open, at least I hope that was the excuse and reasoning, because my Titans drafted him and we are counting on him to be a Franchise quarterback.

So if that's the case and you had that kind of guy on your team and could still muster out a mediocre season, I know I know you are re-building, I'm not kicking you when you're down, but you came in here firing shots about our defensive tactics, if you have a mediocre season with a quarterback that went THAT high in the draft....then your receivers coach must not be that good. And if Sark is calling the plays, well he is probably calling them to the best of his teams ability, again, as a Titans fan, I at least hope that's the excuses by his Senior season stats.

And I won't go into mentioning why else the reason why we lost the game. Everyone else already covered it, heck, I got an e-mail from my dad saying "Really? Washington? Again, really?", everyone else I knew couldn't believe how bad of a match-up we got, even Osborne wasn't looking forward to playing Oklahoma twice in 1978, because in college football it is so hard to beat a team twice. So with that in mind NO ONE was pumped up for it, and that's what made it so hard to watch because when it really mattered, and when both teams were healthy we were dominant and have came close to knocking off two of the best teams in the nation in back to back years at Jerry World.

Washington improved, from 3-6 to 7-6. Good for them.

We got worse, after choking against Oklahoma, and our important Offensive MVP barely being able to run after the Missouri game, we were running on empty for offense and didn't have many capable back-ups.

I hope for Locker's sake, and my Titans fan-dom sake, he doesn't share your views on illegal tactics, because if that's the case, he won't last long in Nashville, or the NFL in general.

Illegal tactics. Lulz.

Question: schematically, are NU fans concerned that continually exposing Martinez through running the ball that their season could turn out like the end of last season? This was my greatest fear for Locker (and my greatest hope for Oregon's QB) as u saw what happened to Dennis Dixon and Isaiah Stanback to name a few.

Question: schematically, are NU fans concerned that continually exposing Martinez through running the ball that their season could turn out like the end of last season? This was my greatest fear for Locker (and my greatest hope for Oregon's QB) as u saw what happened to Dennis Dixon and Isaiah Stanback to name a few.

A little bit, but that's what we are used too. We are used to seeing the signal caller run the ball, and while most of them probably won't be NFL caliber quarterbacks, they are fine running the ball too at the college level.

Martinez wasn't injured because of too many hits, he was injured on him having his ankle rolled and then his own center stepping on his ankle at Texas A&M.

Sure, if he runs the ball he could be injured, but you can be injured on a passing play sitting in the pocket looking around too, a la Tom Brady a few years ago.

Which is why Bo and staff have been stacking up on dual threat quarterbacks. If one goes down, we won't miss a beat, hopefully with them coming in.

Martinez, Carnes, Green [before he transferred] Spano [before he hung up the pads] Starling [if he comes to campus] Turner [converted WR but can play quarterback] and a slew of other recruits we have been going after that have dual threat tendencies.

It's part of who we are.

I think if you play the game scared someone will get hurt, then you aren't going balls out to win, and that's our mentality around here, we're going to do what we want to and it's everyone else job to try and stop our game-plan. We are going to come at you and come at you hard with everything we got and [hopefully] play 11 on 11 on offense.

I understand that Locker was probably told not to run as much last year and he was specifically told to get out of bounds once he hits the NFL.

I've always been a HUGE fan of Locker for his personality ever since he got the flag on the celebration where he spiked the ball or threw the ball after a nice touchdown run a few years back that cost his team the victory but said something like, "I apologize for loving the game of football too much".

Awesome quote. I've loved his personality and heart since then, but that can only get you so far.

I assume Sark is going after more typical Pro-Style quarterbacks like when he was at USC and planning on running a very balanced West Coast offense?

Successful troll...

Aw, that was cute. You really think our starting QB being injured had nothing to do with the end of our season? Some fans really aren't that knowledgeable and it really doesn't represent your fan base well, at all. Please use a little reason and logic next time you try and degrade the Huskers.

Likewise that NU fans think that the defensive QB being I injured in the first game (Cort Dennison) and a true freshman, in his third game in college, is sent in to lead a defense. It's disingenuous of you to think that that had no impact on the game. Hell, at least you had Martinez there for the bowl game Dennison didn't even suit up for the first game.

Husky, we lost 2 of our only experienced LBs to broken legs before the season began. So we essentially had the same handicap...

• Fire 1

Texas was motivated to win that game, we were not. If we come out flat, again, against UW it will be a tough game. Sayin that, I agree with Enhance and walksalone this game could turn out to be another beat down.

I strongly disagree with this. Remember "Wear Red. Be Loud. Beat Texas." Remember the last three meetings against them? That was our marquee game of the year despite Texas not being a good team, and we blew it big time.

There are reasons teams lose football games, and there are reasons teams win football games. What you're saying, seriously, makes absolutely no sense. I can't stand when one person accuses another of making excuses. There's a reason for everything. Your fans made a ton of excuses after we embarrassed you in your own stadium. You've never, ever made an excuse for losing a football game? Because there's no way you can say what you just said unless that's true, which is completely false and you know it. Is the light bulb on in there buddy?

Washington got better throughout the season, Nebraska got injured and got worse. Washington was happy to get to the Holiday Bowl, Nebraska was upset they floundered the season no matter what you read in the papers.

Oh yeah, and as far as those "illegal tactics". Everything Nebraska does pushes the limit on defense. We go right up to where a referee might call it but doesn't. And we have a Top 10 defense to show for it. Your "illegal tactics" free defense was ranked what, again?

I might be wrong, but I remember "Wear red. Be loud. Beat Texas" was more for the fans. And, IMO (not saying your wrong) but the team came out that game and played flat football. No emption, no motivation again just my opinion.

I might be wrong, but I remember "Wear red. Be loud. Beat Texas" was more for the fans. And, IMO (not saying your wrong) but the team came out that game and played flat football. No emption, no motivation again just my opinion.

I can only go off of what I remember reading/hearing. I know for a fact that players had bracelets and signs that read ":01", in reference to the one second put back on the clock in the 2009 championship game. And I personally feel that the games where fans usually get hyped up and motivated, those are the games the team gets hyped up and motivated for.

I agree with your opinion, though. The team did come out flat, but I don't think it was a lack of motivation. Remember they came out against SDSU and played the same kind of flat football, and I think it goes without saying that the team wanted to beat Texas far more than they wanted to play/beat SDSU. I personally feel the team let emotions get in front of execution.