A Question of Focus

63 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

As far as rivals go, we've never really had a close one

Oklahoma was definitely a rival for over 20 years.

Not on par with Michigan-Ohio St, or Auburn-Alabama. It was more of a huge game because we were the powers of the Big 8, the only two in most of those years.

I'm guessing you weren't alive for most of the NU-OU rivalry. It was every bit as big as the two you mentioned, and often bigger, such as 70 and 71.

That's because they were huge games with national titles on the line. I was 10 years old for the 71 game and remember it very well.

The distinction I'm trying to make is where fans of the two schools interact all the time and the winner of the game will hold it over the other team's fans all year long. In Nebraska, there's really no other school's fans you'd interact with that much. The border schools either have their own rivalries or just weren't that consistently good.

You guys want to call OU a close rivalry, go ahead, but I won't go that far. It was a rivalry, but I think Osborne caught more heat because he wasn't winning a necessary game to get back in the title hunt, not because it was OU.

You guys want to call OU a close rivalry, go ahead, but I won't go that far. It was a rivalry, but I think Osborne caught more heat because he wasn't winning a necessary game to get back in the title hunt, not because it was OU.

We're splitting fine hairs to call it a "rivalry" or a "close rivalry." Either way, it was a game that America made sure to watch for 25 years.

I don't care if we use your definition or mine, but the fact remains that every year, it was one of the biggest games on the college football landscape.

It started in the late 20's, didn't really get going until the 60's. It's a single generation's rivalry. Maybe 2 generations. Through the 60's, 70's and 80's I agree...it was certainly a spectacular rivalry. (I, and most under 35 or so) weren't around for much, if any of it. Michigan/Ohio St. has been around since the late 1800's and been relevant every year since however. Gotta be objective on this one - Michigan/tOSU >>>>>> NU/OU

And tell Army/Navy you can't have a great rivalry with a weak opponent.

25 years of a rivalry is pretty good. Mind you, I'm not saying Oklahoma/Nebraska was THE rivalry out there, it was just a good rivalry. It's only because we haven't played them yearly for 15 years that people are feeling this way about it. Nobody in 1992 or 1988 was saying OU/NU wasn't a big rivalry. I agree that Auburn/Alabama and Ohio State/Michigan are bigger, but that doesn't mean that OU/NU wasn't a big-time rivalry.

The point I was making about weakness is, to have a true rivalry the teams involved have to be fairly equal. Army/Navy are both service schools, both relatively weak, thus it's a big rivalry game. Nebraska & Oklahoma are both top-ten all-time teams. Nebraska / Colorado was never a rivalry because Colorado has never been our equal, just like Kansas, Kansas State, Missouri, Oklahoma State, etc. have never been our rivals.

Nebraska - Oklahoma was a great rivalry, but it was very different. It wasn't great because one school hated the other, like Michigan-Ohio State, or because of proximity like Alabama/Auburn.

Nebraska - Oklahoma was a rivalry built on greatness, and on respect rather than hatred. When both teams were not great, the rivalry wasn't as good either, but I think that can be said for any rivalry. Michigan-OSU isn't relevant every year either, and it's not as good of a rivalry when it isn't. The run that Nebraska-Oklahoma had, though somewhat short-lived compared to some other rivalries, was just as great in my opinion. The friendly aspect of it, the mutual respect between players and coaches and fans set it apart from any other rivalry as well, regardless of longevity.

I wasn't alive for the heart of the NU-OU rivalry, but I've watched some of those games, and to see guys absolutely warring against each other from the snap to the whistle, only to pick each other up off the turf, congratulate each other, and prepare for the next 10 second war, exemplifies what sports should be. And it personifies "Not the goal but the game; not the victory but the action; in the deed the glory."

As far as the Rose Bowl vs. MNC, it's clear that Nebraska fans want the national title more than anything. I'd be curious to see what our visiting Big Ten posters think. I don't think I saw any of them post in this thread yet.

National Championship Game for sure, but lets be realistic half the schools in the big ten don't have the talent to do that. So that leaves people knowing that the title game is probably not going to happen, so they hope for the Rose bowl.

Er.. aside from maybe last year I don't remember many people outside of bama giving a flying flip about Auburn - Alabama.

Really? You've heard of the Iron Bowl, surely? It's a pretty big deal.

Maybe I'm an odd duck, but I watch a LOT of college football. And now that I have a second DVR, come September I'm giving that thing a workout recording games.

I picked Rose Bowl for purely selfish reasons.

CA native, NU alum and my entire family has PAC-10 ties to various schools. I grew up going to the game and loving the tradition. The biggest perk for me in our joining of the Big 10 is the chance of the family rivalry every New Years. (although I must admit the 2002 Rose Bowl and the USC home and home were gigantic letdowns)

Plus, winning the Big 10 gets you a Rose Bowl bid, or very likely anymore, a NC bid. Best of both worlds.

Er.. aside from maybe last year I don't remember many people outside of bama giving a flying flip about Auburn - Alabama.

Whether that's true or not, national significance isn't that big of a factor in what defines a rivalry, IMO. From what I understand, and I worked closely with an Auburn alum for many years, the first thing you find out about someone in Alabama is whether they are for Auburn or Alabama. They don't care what we think of the game, but it means just about everything to them.

I think it's certainly understandable why the Big 10 puts so much stock into getting to the Rose Bowl and beating their rivals. The conference is composed of teams that have been historically good, and the best of those teams has gone to the Rose Bowl every year for the past 50 years. That level of history and tradition doesn't fade very easily, and the BCS system is relatively new in comparison.

I think a National Championship should be the goal, but I don't think the addition of Nebraska will change the other teams and fans focus that much. In the long term, I think the BCS or a potential future playoff would probably have more impact. And while I do put more focus into getting a MNC, I'm still looking forward to joining in and being part of a conference so rich in tradition. We shouldn't try to change their focus, instead we should be embracing their history.

• Fire 1

We had an Iowa fan on here awhile back that basically said Rose Bowl first, rivals second, national championship whenever. And we were all like

130388457394.jpg

That's right! I forgot about that guy. I even remember responding to that thread.

Did some searching. Here's a post from zeek, who talks about the Rose Bowl, but seems to mention it as secondary to the BCS National Championship game several times. LINK

Here's a post from Coqui (OSU fan) showing the same goals I listed above, with MNC first and Rose Bowl second. LINK

I can't find that thread you're talking about, papersun, but I know I posted in it. So far what I've found doesn't support the goals in the order I listed, and I can't find the post on BuckeyePlanet where I got this order, either. This is turning into a boondoggle.

My apologies if this thread is based on a bad recollection.