Dish Network and the Big Ten

What needs to happen is we need to get a campaign going including fans from all the Big Ten schools...if everyone started switching in mass, I bet they would get this fixed within a week or so. We need support from the Big Ten offices, AND the other schools and their fans. If Dish is going to cover the Big Ten, then they should cover the whole Big Ten. Period. chuckleshuffle

I think Direct TV has made massive amounts of money on this idea. Almost all fans I know of the B10 are direct tv. The major cable company in my area is still hurting because they would not get on board. Simply call your cable provider and tell them to look at the cable companies in Iowa, if they cant see what they need to do, then they deserve to get driven under. I get internet and Direct TV for less than the inlaws in Nebraska pay for cable, PLUS I get BTN.

Well boys, it's July 1st. Anyone figure anything out with Dish Network?

I checked when I got home from work with no luck kind of figured that would happen but it doesn't hurt to check. I'll be switch in Direct July 16th because they have more sport channels. Loved watching games at my uncles house who has Direct during night games because we could watch PAC 10 games and other mountain west games because once I come home I have to rely what's on ESPN and ABC for games

According to BTN, they are still talking with Dish. They say something will get worked out before the first game, so they say.

Otherwise you have to add the multi sports pack. Talked to Dish and said everybody was switching to Direct TV, all they could say was SORRY.

GBR

How many channels of the BTN does Direct TV carry during the day? More than one channel?

I checked with Dish, I live in the Portland, OR area, and DISH will only have one channel of BTN and I have to get an additional $7/month sports package and I already carry their EVERYTHING package.

RiverRunner

I checked when I got home from work with no luck kind of figured that would happen but it doesn't hurt to check. I'll be switch in Direct July 16th because they have more sport channels. Loved watching games at my uncles house who has Direct during night games because we could watch PAC 10 games and other mountain west games because once I come home I have to rely what's on ESPN and ABC for games

Are you on Time Warner cable in Nebraska?

If you get the sports pack from Dish, they put up alternates on Saturday's of the Big Ten games so you will see them all. They also put up the other regional sports feed so you can see the Pac-10 games or others.

Basically what is happening is the Big Ten network is going back and asking for more money for Dish for every person in Nebraska now. Currently every Dish sub that gets the Big Ten in region costs $.70 per month for Dish If they turn it on for Nebraska, they will then lose probably $250K a month, unless around 2,500 people drop Dish over this (not factoring in the ones they can convince to pay the $7 per month), Dish has no reason financially to do it. Directv has more sports, but is also more expensive than Dish.

If you get the sports pack from Dish, they put up alternates on Saturday's of the Big Ten games so you will see them all. They also put up the other regional sports feed so you can see the Pac-10 games or others.

Basically what is happening is the Big Ten network is going back and asking for more money for Dish for every person in Nebraska now. Currently every Dish sub that gets the Big Ten in region costs $.70 per month for Dish If they turn it on for Nebraska, they will then lose probably $250K a month, unless around 2,500 people drop Dish over this (not factoring in the ones they can convince to pay the $7 per month), Dish has no reason financially to do it. Directv has more sports, but is also more expensive than Dish.

While I wont argue with your numbers, as I have no point of reference. What BTN does is, they tell Direct, local cable OR Dish, they want it on the basic package. Now if they dont like that idea, then BTN says fine if it's going to be on an added package, we want more money (since you are making more money off it).

Since everyone in Nebraska is rabid ball fans, it would make more sence for it to be on a basic package, but then Dish would have one less on their added package and it could be a real money maker for them to make you all pay another 7 or 10 or whatever a month to get the added channels (hello pay per view ring a bell). If you research it, you will see what happened in Iowa and other B10 states. In the end it comes down to you all, the fans. If you want to buy another added on package to watch the Huskers, then do so and dont complain. If you want to be like the rest of B10 land and watch your team for nothing extra, than making noise and hitting them in their bottom line is the only way to get it done.

I called Dish and also couldn't get a straight answer yesterday regarding BTN. Went to the Direct TV web page and their whole house HD package looks enticing for sure. Looks like Direct TV has all the sports channels Dish has and more.

Question:

Anyone who has switched from Dish to Direct TV, any regrets or components of the Dish Services you miss or cannot get on Direct TV?

RiverRunner

I called Dish and also couldn't get a straight answer yesterday regarding BTN. Went to the Direct TV web page and their whole house HD package looks enticing for sure. Looks like Direct TV has all the sports channels Dish has and more.

Question:

Anyone who has switched from Dish to Direct TV, any regrets or components of the Dish Services you miss or cannot get on Direct TV?

RiverRunner

Actually talked to a guy that had direct tv and switched to dish, said it was one of the dumbest things he ever did.

DVR for direct tv is better, one dvr runs any tv in the house.

More sports, nfl package etc.

Said he just got a letter from direct tv said that they wanted him back and would pay all exit fees from dish.

Question:

RiverRunner

I switched from directv to dish a couple years ago. Directv wouldn't upgrade me to HD without a really large fee, so I switched. Dish can control multiple tvs from a box, which directv couldn't do but I've heard that they can now. When Directv had the TiVo brand box, their DVR was the best, but after the TiVo deal ran out, Dish had better DVR's.

Having said all that, the two are pretty close to each other. Directv has a few more channels in their standard packages, but that also makes them more expensive. I'd call each of them and see what they'll offer you. You can't really go wrong with either, and they are both MUCH better than cable.

EDIT: I just checked Directv's site and they have some really good deals right now (like free HD).

I had basically decided on getting DirecTV in August, but then I got a flyer from Dish saying they have an app where you can watch tv on your smartphone. That's really enticing, as I'll be working almost every gameday, and unless the game is on ABC, I have no assurance that I'll be able to see it (work at an ABC affiliate). What I'm wondering though, is if I get Dish, would I even be able to watch BTN on the phone, or does DirecTV have a similar app on the horizon? That's literally the only thing swaying my vote towards Dish. Well that and the slightly lower prices, but everything else is largely in DirecTV's favor.