NU hires Silva as pitching coach

Nebraska baseball coach Darin Erstad announced the second addition to his coaching staff on Friday, as Ted Silva has been hired as the Huskers' pitching coach. Silva comes to Lincoln from the West Coast, where he has spent the past four seasons as the pitching coach at UC Irvine and Loyola Marymount.

Continue Reading

Its a wrap..

Erstad + Bolt + Silva = Awesomeness!!

Will be interesting to see where the recruiting focus is. Bolt in Texas, Silva in Cali and Erstad in the north. (No recruits from the north get further south then Lincoln Ne. is what Erstad said right?)

Huskers have a young pitching staff with solid arms returning. We need a true closer and a strong #2 or #3 starter. Bats will come around with Erstad and Bolt leadership. The middle infield is strong and our outfield should be deeper next spring.

Silva will bring back the off speed junk along with a true curve and a varied pitching style (Newman believed in 1st and 2nd pitch fastballs only.) while hopefully finding a couple diamonds in the ruff. (i.e. GI Johnny and Shane Kominae <spelling>)

Everyone has to be excited about this, yes?

Go Big Red!

Welcome aboard Coach Silva :corndance:restore

I'm excited too, Hacker. Should be fun to watch this unfold. Now Erstad will likely look for a volunteer assistant which I'm assuming should be well-versed in hitting mechanics?

Anyway, here's a cool article from a few years ago about Ted Silva. He sounds like an intense kind of guy. Someone that should gel nicely with Erstad and Bolt's fiery personas.

Joining the party late on this thread, but man am I excited to get a pitching coach for California! Talk about a recruiting team! Erstad a 14 year MLB vet, Texas connected and great talent developer Bolt and California Silva! I'm jazzed ya'll! THere is no reason why we should not dominate the B1G for baseball!

I don't know much about Silva other than what you folks provided me, but others I've talked to were very high on Silva.

It appears that the worries of Nebraska letting baseball slide to mediocrity in the B1G are going to be unfounded. Dr. Tom and Coach Erstad appear to be on the right track. chuckleshuffle

I've heard talk (especially on 1620, but also from others) that Erstad doesn't care what he gets paid and is going to make significantly less than MA did, and in return be able to pay his assistants handsomely so that he can make sure he keeps around top tier assistants. This would be great if true. My question is: will T.O. allow an assistant to be paid more than his HC? Kugler on 1620 thought that might very well be the case, but I'm not sure that would ever actually be allowed to happen.

I've heard talk (especially on 1620, but also from others) that Erstad doesn't care what he gets paid and is going to make significantly less than MA did, and in return be able to pay his assistants handsomely so that he can make sure he keeps around top tier assistants. This would be great if true. My question is: will T.O. allow an assistant to be paid more than his HC? Kugler on 1620 thought that might very well be the case, but I'm not sure that would ever actually be allowed to happen.

I Dont see a Problem with paying an assistant more than a head coach if it is the head coach's Idea. If the school did it and the head coach was not invovled with the descion i am sure the coach would leave. but maybe they would just pay them all the same or close to the same. who knows?

• 2 weeks later...

I Dont see a Problem with paying an assistant more than a head coach if it is the head coach's Idea. If the school did it and the head coach was not invovled with the descion i am sure the coach would leave. but maybe they would just pay them all the same or close to the same. who knows?

I think this is probably close to the reality. DE has millions but you don't want the top guy to make less than those around him. TO was always good about passing on full raises and giving it to assistants. Stoops does the same at OU. I think you probably have a head coach making $25-50 gs more than Bolt and Silva close behind.