New Gloves

Gloves with BLACKSHIRTS on it. I'm not saying they shouldn't get the gloves, but just have the N logo ones. Letting every defensive player wear gloves with BLACKSHIRTS on it, is disrespecting the exclusivity and effort it takes to become a BLACKSHIRT.

I think there's a misconception here. This is a Blackshirt:

blackshirt3.jpg

This is a symbol licensed to market the Blackshirts:

:throwdabones1:

They are not the same thing. Any idiot with some money can purchase that symbol, and it doesn't make them a Blackshirt. You have to earn that plain, nondescript black jersey that the actual factual Blackshirts wear. Even if you go buy a knockoff version of that practice jersey, or if you find a former Blackshirt willing to sell his old jersey to you, you're not a Blackshirt.

So I don't think there's any conflict with having that symbol on the gloves. It's just a marketing promotion, not the real deal.

You know that and I know that but what is the perception nation wide? Will this dilute the tradition we're known for nation wide?

Just a different view point.....

You know that and I know that but what is the perception nation wide? Will this dilute the tradition we're known for nation wide?

Why do we care what people across the nation think of the Blackshirt tradition? It's not for them, it's for the team and the fans.

And how do you think this will dilute the tradition? By turning it into a marketing ploy or something along those lines? If so, don't you feel the same about things like:

THIS

THIS

THIS

THIS

THIS

AND THIS?

If these haven't diluted the tradition, I doubt the gloves our players wear will.

Why do we care what people across the nation think of the Blackshirt tradition? It's not for them, it's for the team and the fans.

And how do you think this will dilute the tradition? By turning it into a marketing ploy or something along those lines? If so, don't you feel the same about things like:

THIS

THIS

THIS

THIS

THIS

AND THIS?

If these haven't diluted the tradition, I doubt the gloves our players wear will.

Well, first of all. As a fan of NU I do care what others think of our football team and university. Call me old fashioned. I wasn't pointing out other items, hence the title of the thread. I believe I posed a question on whether this would dilute our tradition. I didn't make a statement.

Gloves with BLACKSHIRTS on it. I'm not saying they shouldn't get the gloves, but just have the N logo ones. Letting every defensive player wear gloves with BLACKSHIRTS on it, is disrespecting the exclusivity and effort it takes to become a BLACKSHIRT.

blackshirt3.jpg

They are not the same thing. Any idiot with some money can purchase that symbol, and it doesn't make them a Blackshirt. You have to earn that plain, nondescript black jersey that the actual factual Blackshirts wear. Even if you go buy a knockoff version of that practice jersey, or if you find a former Blackshirt willing to sell his old jersey to you, you're not a Blackshirt.

So I don't think there's any conflict with having that symbol on the gloves. It's just a marketing promotion, not the real deal.

I don't think there is any misconception whether you like It or not this will have some effect on the nostalgia of getting a blackshirt when the 3rd string safety has the gloves and a false sense of entitlement

• Fire 1

I don't think there is any misconception whether you like It or not this will have some effect on the nostalgia of getting a blackshirt when the 3rd string safety has the gloves and a false sense of entitlement

Clearly you do have a misconception. Every defender is issued gloves right now, and has been issued gloves for decades. Whether they choose to wear them or not is their option. Those gloves have nothing to do with whether that player is a Blackshirt or not. They're just gloves.

These are gloves. Not Blackshirts. The fact that they have a marketing symbol on them doesn't mean the n00bs are Blackshirts any more than the fact that they have an Adidas logo on them makes them Adidas employees.

• Fire 1

Well, first of all. As a fan of NU I do care what others think of our football team and university. Call me old fashioned. I wasn't pointing out other items, hence the title of the thread. I believe I posed a question on whether this would dilute our tradition. I didn't make a statement.

I'm aware of the title of the thread - I wrote it. :lol:

So you're saying you don't think this dilutes our tradition? You're OK with these gloves? Or what are you saying?

I think they're okay, although I do remember seeing either an Ohio State or Miami player getting flagged last year (I think it was an OSU playing doing the O) in their non-conference game. I know this a little different because it's on our gloves, but still. I'd be pretty pissed if they got flagged for showing their gloves.

Clearly you do have a misconception. Every defender is issued gloves right now, and has been issued gloves for decades. Whether they choose to wear them or not is their option. Those gloves have nothing to do with whether that player is a Blackshirt or not. They're just gloves.

These are gloves. Not Blackshirts. The fact that they have a marketing symbol on them doesn't mean the n00bs are Blackshirts any more than the fact that they have an Adidas logo on them makes them Adidas employees.

So if every player is not a Blackshirt, then we should refer to the defense as "The Blackshirts and the other defensive guys." Right? :P

So if every player is not a Blackshirt, then we should refer to the defense as "The Blackshirts and the other defensive guys." Right? :P

That just rolls off the tongue, doesn't it? ;)

Well if they haven't earned the right to be a Blackshirt, then they shouldn't be called Blackshirts! :lol:

I'm aware of the title of the thread - I wrote it. :lol:

So you're saying you don't think this dilutes our tradition? You're OK with these gloves? Or what are you saying?

I could care less about the gloves. I think it cheapens and takes away from the history of the black shirt. The skull and cross bones represent the black shirts to the country. Self agrandising the moniker on gloves cheapens the perception in a way. That's all I'm saying.

I could care less about the gloves. I think it cheapens and takes away from the history of the black shirt. The skull and cross bones represent the black shirts to the country. Self agrandising the moniker on gloves cheapens the perception in a way. That's all I'm saying.

OK, that's what I thought you meant. That's why I asked how you felt about the shirts, shorts, kites and other merchandise you can buy with that same logo on it. If the gloves take away from the history, don't those things? And if not, why?

blackshirt3.jpg

I didn't know Nebraska had a glove tradition to dilute.