New Gloves

Is it September 3rd yet?

Anyway, the gloves are pretty cool, but I hope the players still throw the bones [although not AT opposing players, which would draw a flag] instead of hold up their gloves to connect the logo.

Doesn't matter if you do it at opposing players or not. Drawing attention to yourself is a flag. See KSU and Syracuse.

kncapp pretty much bullet pointed my theory on the gloves issue while I was at work, so thanks. That is why I stated the fact that started that whole fiasco(quite entertaining though). The gloves in no way shape or form cheapen the Blackshirt. We all know they won't because we also all know Cosgrove already did that.

Is it September 3rd yet?

Anyway, the gloves are pretty cool, but I hope the players still throw the bones [although not AT opposing players, which would draw a flag] instead of hold up their gloves to connect the logo.

Doesn't matter if you do it at opposing players or not. Drawing attention to yourself is a flag. See KSU and Syracuse.

Which is sad.

But I remember seeing our players throw the bones, not at anyone, and they were not flagged.

If that's the case of drawing attention to yourself, then why wasn't the Missouri player flagged for throwing the bones at the Husker fans then last fall? That was clearly taunting and was not called for.

Oh right, Big XII refs.

I'll move along now.

No they don't think that, but people who are not familiar with the tradition will. Younger fans, unfamiliar fans, some other fans of the Big Ten. We've all heard how ridiculous some announcers are when they talk about "traditions", next thing you know Ed Cunningham or some douche is referring to all Husker defenders as Blackshirts. People bitch about having any black in the uniforms, having a b*******, adding piping or changing the uniforms in anyway, changing any traditions whatsoever, but you're a-ok with this?

If it's marketing, at least market it in a way that represents the tradition.

Announcers already refer to our defense as a whole as the 'Blackshirts', and so do fans, and so does the university. We Nebraska fans understand what we really mean, and people outside of our circle probably don't. These gloves won't help or hinder that; I guarantee you. Nobody that was already unfamiliar with the tradition is going to see the gloves (the one or two times that they might show up on tv in a recognizable way) and instantly think, "Oh! Now I get it!".

• Fire 1

Is it September 3rd yet?

Which is sad.

But I remember seeing our players throw the bones, not at anyone, and they were not flagged.

If that's the case of drawing attention to yourself, then why wasn't the Missouri player flagged for throwing the bones at the Husker fans then last fall? That was clearly taunting and was not called for.

Oh right, Big XII refs.

I'll move along now.

Because it's a new rule, effective starting week 1 of the 2011 season.. Under the old rules, the KSU player should not have been flagged, period. It was a bad call, and not in the rulebook. Under the new rules, any gestures or whatever motions done to gain attention is considered showboating, and a penalty.

I hope we see 30 teams get dinged for it the first week, so the NCAA will sow how much of a bullsh#t rule it is.

i wouldnt be surprised if more than 30 teams get flagged for this stupid rule, they are taking away from the game. a little showboating like throwing the bones or when florida state does the tomahawk thing is fun for the players and the fans. it is part of the what makes college football so great. as long as the showboating isnt excessive i dont see a problem with it

Because it's a new rule, effective starting week 1 of the 2011 season.. Under the old rules, the KSU player should not have been flagged, period. It was a bad call, and not in the rulebook. Under the new rules, any gestures or whatever motions done to gain attention is considered showboating, and a penalty.

I hope we see 30 teams get dinged for it the first week, so the NCAA will sow how much of a bullsh#t rule it is.

I knew there was a new celebration rule in effect for next year, but I didn't know it applied to "Team traditions/actions". I knew the rule was going to be B.S. before it started, but that is even more B.S. now that you say that.

Thanks for clearing that up. That's what the board is for. :)

And yes, teams will get penalized and it will cost someone a very important game down the road. Let's just hope it's not us.

I knew there was a new celebration rule in effect for next year, but I didn't know it applied to "Team traditions/actions". I knew the rule was going to be B.S. before it started, but that is even more B.S. now that you say that.

Thanks for clearing that up. That's what the board is for. :)

And yes, teams will get penalized and it will cost someone a very important game down the road. Let's just hope it's not us.

That's the dumb part. The rule is pretty vague, so I can see it being abused. Honestly, I hope a bunch of teams, including us, get nailed in the early games, so the AD's and coaches do something about it.

I didn't read through all this so if this has been said already then I apologize, but NUequipment on Twitter already said that only blackshirts will be wearing these.

Quick Knapplc, delete his post so we didn't just spend all that time arguing about something that was quite literally nothing.