Martinez the leader?

I would say, it doesn't matter whether a QB is liked by his teammates. Respect definitely matters, though.

This

Tommie Frazier was a great qb. Great guy? No. The team respected him though.

Well, Frazier didn't have to worry about getting instant "respect" from the whole team as a freshman.

I would say, it doesn't matter whether a QB is liked by his teammates. Respect definitely matters, though.

This

Well, Frazier didn't have to worry about getting instant "respect" from the whole team as a freshman.

Frazier didn't have to deal with bored message board posters, either.

This

Actually, yes he did. He started as a freshman. His year was similar to Martinez's - up and down. He would have a ridiculously crazy good game against Colorado (which meant something back then), and then he'd lose to Iowa State (which meant roughly the same thing back then).

However, many people say that Frazier was one of the most natural leaders they've ever seen on a college football field, even when he was a freshman. He just had it, he was Tim Tebow before Tim Tebow was Tim Tebow. I don't think Martinez has that yet, and he may never have it - most guys don't. It's a little ridiculous to expect every QB that comes through Nebraska to be the kind of on-the-field leader that Frazier was, since most programs never get a guy like that.

In addition to that, the make-up of those 90's teams was different than the make-up of the teams we've had more recently. You never had guys showing up a coach/player on the sideline or in the press complaining that they didn't get the ball enough. That didn't happen. I don't know if those 90's teams were more mature, or less selfish... I think it had more to do with the fact that if anybody stepped out like that, they were going to get their ass handed to them at the next practice. Those teams played with a harder edge than any others I've ever seen, they just had a nasty streak. They would get in scuffles all the time during practice, just warring with each other, and then get to gameday and they'd take out their collective rage on some poor opponent.

We just haven't had that kind of edge across the whole team for a while now - Ndamukong Suh had it, and the 2009 defense seemed to start feeling it more and more later in the season, and it was best exemplified in that Holiday Bowl, where they just took out all their frustration on that helpless Arizona team, they took pleasure in stomping them into the ground all the way to the final whistle. But that's a hard recipe to perfect across the entire team, and I don't think it has that much to do with the QB.

Tommie didn't start a game until Missouri in 1992, halfway through his Freshman season. Other than that, you're right - he was very up-and-down, and had several mistakes. And he had the respect of the team that year inasmuch as Mike Grant didn't have it - or at least, the team didn't think Grant could lead them where they wanted to go as much as Frazier could.

Again, I don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing that we're comparing Martinez to Frazier. Tommie was one of the two or three greatest QBs in Husker history. If Marty makes it into the top ten, he'll be damned good.

Tommie didn't start a game until Missouri in 1992, halfway through his Freshman season. Other than that, you're right - he was very up-and-down, and had several mistakes. And he had the respect of the team that year inasmuch as Mike Grant didn't have it - or at least, the team didn't think Grant could lead them where they wanted to go as much as Frazier could.

Again, I don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing that we're comparing Martinez to Frazier. Tommie was one of the two or three greatest QBs in Husker history. If Marty makes it into the top ten, he'll be damned good.

Every QB that comes through Nebraska these days is going to be compared to Frazier, just like Frazier was compared to Gill. If Martinez wins a Heisman or a national championship or something, people will start comparing future QBs to him. I think that's part of being a fan, and part of trying to understand the game.

However, anytime you make comparisons like that, I think you have to keep in mind that you're comparing these players to the greatest we've ever had, and that's not exactly fair. There have been lesser QBs than Tommie Frazier to win a national championship (Craig Krenzel, anybody?) - it's about getting the entire team to play at a championship level.

Every QB that comes through Nebraska these days is going to be compared to Frazier, just like Frazier was compared to Gill. If Martinez wins a Heisman or a national championship or something, people will start comparing future QBs to him. I think that's part of being a fan, and part of trying to understand the game.

Not only that, but it's also the most commonly recognize example. Everyone knows who Tommie Frazier is and what he accomplished. If we compared him to Dave Humm half of the people wouldn't get the frame of reference.

Not only that, but it's also the most commonly recognize example. Everyone knows who Tommie Frazier is and what he accomplished. If we compared him to Dave Humm half of the people wouldn't get the frame of reference.

Ya! hummer! I love that guy at QB. About time someone said Hummer. I was about to but Knappl all ready did. Good job Knappl. I remember watching hummer, ya, in '72 the Jet won the Heisman Trophy. Hummer set a school and Big 8 record of 2259 passing yards. Hum had a rocket arm. 2005 Zac Taylor passed for 2653 to break that record of Hum. Oh, I guess their are those who would not remember, I do.

:bonesflag:

there has been all this talk about T- Magic being the quarterback but at the spring game Carnes looked like he would be putting up a pretty tough fight for that starting spot, dont you think? Dont get me wrong T-magic is a hell of a quarterback but i think it will be interesting to see what september brings for the Chattanoga game.

there has been all this talk about T- Magic being the quarterback but at the spring game Carnes looked like he would be putting up a pretty tough fight for that starting spot, dont you think? Dont get me wrong T-magic is a hell of a quarterback but i think it will be interesting to see what september brings for the Chattanoga game.

Oh God, PLEASE don't start this now...

actually booing him at home. The only other time I can remember Nebraska fans booing their own would have been 2007.

Ask Jammal Lord, Joe Dailey and Courtney Grixby if the home fans ever booed them. Frost wasn't the last NU playing to be booed by the boobs inside Memorial Stadium.

I wasn't at any games where Jammal Lord or Joe Dailey got booed, and don't remember hearing it on TV, though neither case surprises me. I was around for Grixby, but don't remember him getting booed as much as people just yelling "Grixby!!!!" and facepalming, haha. That was also 2007 if I remember right, and it was commonplace to boo the entire team that year.

2006 when you hit the arrow, make sure you also tap on the Youtube link.