Martinez the leader?

Thought this was at least a positive sign. Read into it what you will.

Via Aaron Green's twitter -

"S/O.to.T Magic for takin me under his wings today in skills and drills!"

I will mention though, that this was not the first time Green has mentioned Martinez in his tweets. Apparently the two are getting along pretty well.

I will believe it when I see it. Cannot think that Taylor is going to go away from"Its all about me, its my team" attitude!

I suppose this means Burkhead is out and Green is in!

Not sure who posted it above but its true. Tmart can say it was tough to lead last year and Green can say Tmart is a great help this year but all that matters to some people is what they think they have heard from an "inside" source.

Yup. You get a tweet from Aaron Green himself publicly thanking TMart for helping him out in drills, and the reaction is, "I'll believe it when I see it," as if Martinez hacked Green's twitter in order to deceive us all, or "It says more about Green than about Martinez." If Green had said that Rex Burkhead took him under his wing in drills, everybody would say, "See, that Rex Burkhead is a leader, why can't Martinez be more like him?"

epic :facepalm:

And it's not every freshman who comes out and asserts himself like this right away either.

By "asserts himself," do you mean that he uses Twitter? ...Because 12 year old girls use Twitter.

• Fire 1

Don't be upset. This is a tweet, by Aaron Green. Just reminding people of that.

A couple were taking this and trumpeting around saying, "see? Martinez IS a leader", as if it's some great empirical evidence or proof or whatever. No, it's just a tweet, and an incoming freshman RB announcing that he's getting some tutelage from the QB. It's small and meaningless, but it's cool and it reflects well on both players. As corncraze said, it's a bit of a positive sign is all. Sorry to semi-preemptively rain on the "This is evidence that Taylor is an amazing leader after all" parade. I figured it would offend some people. But I stand by what I said.

This is really as much or more about Aaron Green fitting in and asserting himself as a member of the team already, as it is about his opinions of Taylor's leadership. Which I'm sure is very high.

Don't be upset. This is a tweet, by Aaron Green. Just remind people of that.

A couple were taking this and trumpeting around saying, "see? Martinez IS a leader", as if it's some great empirical evidence or proof or whatever. No, it's just a tweet, and an incoming freshman RB announcing that he's getting some tutelage from the QB. It's small and meaningless, but it's cool and it reflects well on both players.

It's a hell of a lot more solid "proof" than any of the BS rumors we've heard around here about the various nefarious things Martinez is supposedly saying/doing/behaving. Perpetuated, by the way, by you, among others.

So you are fully willing to give credence to, and repeatedly repost negative rumors, but when a player tweets something that may be positive about another player you do not like, you very easily and quickly dismiss it.

I think this thread says far more about you than it says about either Martinez or Green.

• Fire 3

Don't be upset. This is a tweet, by Aaron Green. Just reminding people of that.

A couple were taking this and trumpeting around saying, "see? Martinez IS a leader", as if it's some great empirical evidence or proof or whatever. No, it's just a tweet, and an incoming freshman RB announcing that he's getting some tutelage from the QB. It's small and meaningless, but it's cool and it reflects well on both players. As corncraze said, it's a bit of a positive sign is all.

It is empirical evidence or proof or whatever. What does it matter that it was a tweet? The kid says publicly that Martinez "took him under his wing," - that's leadership. Not cheerleading on the sideline or being nice at press conferences. Teaching and tutelage is exactly the kind of leadership we want from our players.

It is small, but not meaningless, especially on a message board where people have ripped Martinez's leadership skills with virtually nothing to back it up other than "He wasn't talking to other players for the 2 seconds I just saw him on TV," or "My inside anonymous source said that they don't like him."

Thanks knapp. Did I dismiss it it? Or did I dismiss a trumped up interpretation of it? I thought I had made it clear it was the latter. Pretty sure I've said it reflects well on both players, and that it's cool. In the quoted text, even.

And it's not every freshman who comes out and asserts himself like this right away either.

By "asserts himself," do you mean that he uses Twitter? ...Because 12 year old girls use Twitter.

You're right, this whole thing is just a small and insignificant soundbite from a popular online service that anyone can use. But I'm using it to say something positive about the guy that wrote it. Is that so heinous?

It is empirical evidence or proof or whatever.

I suppose. I looked at it primarily from the angle of it being evidence of Green being a solid young man who knows how to represent himself and the team well. Which in this age of Twitter, is not that common. I know everyone wanted to focus on Martinez, but I wanted to highlight that this is about Green, just as much, if not more.

The other thing about this is, Aaron probably knows how maligned Taylor is and how he's been in the spotlight in a negative way. So it's very big of him to have his QB's back like that. Taylor is in a tough spot anyway because he has to something to prove in that area in the eyes of many (me included) - and what's he gonna do? Walk around saying, "Look at me, I'm a leader"? So while this offseason has been full of good signs about Taylor being a year older, a year wiser within the team, I thought this was a great show of support from some new guy that's never even set foot on the field for us, not even in the Spring Game.

Thanks knapp. Did I dismiss it it? Or did I dismiss a trumped up interpretation of it? I thought I had made it clear it was the latter. Pretty sure I've said it reflects well on both players, and that it's cool. In the quoted text, even.

You're welcome, zoogies. Your statement was quite dismissive of something positive about Taylor. Sure, you end it with an attempt to soften the blow, but once again it's clear where your intentions lie.

You're right, this whole thing is just a small and insignificant soundbite from a popular online service that anyone can use. But I'm using it to say something positive about the guy that wrote it. Is that so heinous?

It's not heinous, but it is silly and hypocritical to use a tweet where Aaron Green thanks another player for helping him out, and then interpreting that to mean that Aaron Green is a good guy while minimizing what that tweet says about the player Green actually thanked. You're not doing that as much now that we've started arguing, but in your first and second post in this thread, that was the implication - play up Green and play down Martinez. It is a small thing but it's also perfectly representative of how Martinez gets treated on this board.

You're welcome, zoogies. Your statement was quite dismissive of something positive about Taylor. Sure, you end it with an attempt to soften the blow, but once again it's clear where your intentions lie.

Yes, me and my nefarious intentions ;) I hope the blow did not hurt too much.

Really though. All I am saying is IMO, this little twitter story is a mostly a cool reflection of Aaron Green, the guy doing the writing, and that's what it should all be about, instead of "Martinez is a leader: proof." There will be plenty of chances for Taylor to prove himself and leave no doubt of it.

Yes, it's true that I'm still a bit skeptical of Taylor after the events of last season and this doesn't affect my opinion too much. I don't think it's unfair treatment, just skepticism.

The other thing about this is, Aaron probably knows how maligned Taylor is and how he's been in the spotlight in a negative way. So it's very big of him to have his QB's back like that. Taylor is in a tough spot anyway because he has to something to prove in that area in the eyes of many (me included) - and what's he gonna do? Walk around saying, "Look at me, I'm a leader"? So while this offseason has been full of good signs about Taylor being a year older, a year wiser within the team, I thought this was a great show of support from some new guy that's never even set foot on the field for us, not even in the Spring Game.

... reaching... You're really going so far as to say that Green isn't just a guy who's meshing with the team - but that he's aware of how some message board posters treat Martinez, and so this was a deliberate attempt to sway public opinion about him just because Green felt bad for Martinez, or because he's got his "QB's back?" Do you think he also pretended to struggle in drills so that Martinez could help him? Maybe we should just credit Aaron Green for Martinez's newfound leadership skills.

Or is it possible that Martinez just helped Green out in some drills, and Green thanked him because he was grateful for that help?

How is it possible to have such blind faith in one player (much less a true freshman who's been with the team for about a month) while maintaining such unfailing skepticism of another?