Martinez the leader?

To many of you either never played, never coached or beleive to much of what certain dorks on other sites say.

Leadership is these little things, its helping a younger guy out, its making sure they are on time, its telling them what to expect next in a drill. Its telling a guy he can add 5 pounds to his next lift and nail it, sometimes its going up to a guy and telling him he kicked ass at practice or drills today. The over the top RA RA stuff is usually for show. It is the behind the scenes things that make the players respect you.

No one is saying he is some great leader now, but the fact that some haters are hating just goes to show how twisted some peoples views are. Its like, that tweet would have had to say:

"S/O to T-Moses for leading us across the Red Sea, oh and thanks for reading us the 10 Commandments"

Wait, is that over 144 letters? Sometimes leading is even as simple as making sure that a new kid doesnt feel new anymore. Trust me, I coach and have coached for a really long time, seeing a new kid with that deer in the headlight look and then seeing an older player go over and help him out is leadership.

Leadership is these little things, its helping a younger guy out, its making sure they are on time, its telling them what to expect next in a drill. Its telling a guy he can add 5 pounds to his next lift and nail it, sometimes its going up to a guy and telling him he kicked ass at practice or drills today. The over the top RA RA stuff is usually for show. It is the behind the scenes things that make the players respect you.

Very well said and very, very true.

100% on the money. Zoogies "never" misses a chance to diss Tmart as any internet rumor is just fine for that purpose.

Well, I try. I do miss a few nice opp-y's though.

(edit) like this one! Diss on you, Taylor! Hear that? Diss diss diss.

lol!

Hey, I never missed many regarding Z. Lee awhile back either. Just like always.....we're just getting our hooks and jabs in. Two months to go, old friend......just "two"......we......can.......hack it!

GBR!!

100% on the money. Zoogies "never" misses a chance to diss Tmart as any internet rumor is just fine for that purpose.

lol!

Hey, I never missed many regarding Z. Lee awhile back either. Just like always.....we're just getting our hooks and jabs in. Two months to go, old friend......just "two"......we......can.......hack it!

GBR!!

And then there's just silly old me, forgetting to pick sides and just rooting for anyone wearing an N on their helmets. Crazy, I know.

lol!

GBR!!

And then there's just silly old me, forgetting to pick sides and just rooting for anyone wearing an N on their helmets. Crazy, I know.

What the hell is wrong with you, knapplc??

Well, we'll let you slide....."this" time.

sometimes I wonder what this forum would have been like while Scott Frost was the starting quarterback, and then I feel better about how annoying the Martinez bashing is.

We would have been mad as hell we shared the Championship with Michigan that year. We could of taken the Michigan, as Scott said, anytime, anywhere to decide who is the #1.

:bonesflag:

sometimes I wonder what this forum would have been like while Scott Frost was the starting quarterback, and then I feel better about how annoying the Martinez bashing is.

We would have been mad as hell we shared the Championship with Michigan that year. We could of taken the Michigan, as Scott said, anytime, anywhere to decide who is the #1.

You're right about 1997, but I'm guessing Moiraine is talking about 1996. And I'm guessing this board would have ripped Frosty to shreds.

You're right about 1997, but I'm guessing Moiraine is talking about 1996. And I'm guessing this board would have ripped Frosty to shreds.

Wrong year, sorry.

You guys have to tell me what it was about Frost since I'm not old enough to have been aware of any dirt on him at the time.

Was it anger that he was the upperclassman, anointed '96 starter since 1995 over some other guy? Don't get that. Did we have anyone else? Was there ever even a battle?

Was it anger that he came back to Nebraska after committing elsewhere out of high school? Don't get that either.

Was it anger that he left Nebraska in the first place? Don't get that either, also, that would've been prior to '96.

Was it anger over his play being sub-par, due to crazy sky-high expectations at the time? I sort of get that. Not sure if his play was sub-par, but I can understand criticism of a guy's playing. But I don't think that's what it is about.

Why was it that this board would have ripped Frost to shreds?

The fan base actually booed Frost back in 1996, which is why people assume the message boards would have been ridiculously vicious towards him.

There is a segment of the fan base which to this day has never forgiven Frost for leaving Nebraska in the first place, and there was still plenty of bitterness about that in 1996 when he was back and won the starting job. That anger was simply additional fuel to the fire that began with the Arizona State game that year, when we were shut out 19-0. We were shut out by a team that we had scored 56 points on in one half back in 1995, and although it had more to do with the center (who kept snapping it over Frost's head into our own endzone) and our offensive line than it did Frost, the fans of course came down on the QB. Not to completely excuse Frost, who had a bad option pitch that ended our only sustained drive of the night.

Even though Frost only lost one more game in his college career after that (the first Big 12 championship against Texas), the fans were unreasonably hard on him, actually booing him at home. The only other time I can remember Nebraska fans booing their own would have been 2007. Anyways, I don't think Frost was able to win over the majority of the fan base until he helped defeat Washington in 1997, and of course by the end of that championship year he was everybody's golden boy.

edit: to answer your questions specifically - it wasn't about him getting the job, although people were constantly clamoring for the backup (Frankie London) as fans are prone to do when they're not happy with the starter.

I don't think it was anger that he came back, though maybe people thought he was just jumping on the bandwagon after 1994 since we started winning NC's. But it was mostly due to the out-of-control expectations Nebraska fans developed after 26 straight wins engineered mostly by Frazier and Berringer (2 of our best QBs ever) and also due to the fact that people were offended Frost had left the state to begin with.