Martinez the leader?

The fan base actually booed Frost back in 1996, which is why people assume the message boards would have been ridiculously vicious towards him.

There is a segment of the fan base which to this day has never forgiven Frost for leaving Nebraska in the first place, and there was still plenty of bitterness about that in 1996 when he was back and won the starting job. That anger was simply additional fuel to the fire that began with the Arizona State game that year, when we were shut out 19-0. We were shut out by a team that we had scored 56 points on in one half back in 1995, and although it had more to do with the center (who kept snapping it over Frost's head into our own endzone) and our offensive line than it did Frost, the fans of course came down on the QB. Not to completely excuse Frost, who had a bad option pitch that ended our only sustained drive of the night.

Even though Frost only lost one more game in his college career after that (the first Big 12 championship against Texas), the fans were unreasonably hard on him, actually booing him at home. The only other time I can remember Nebraska fans booing their own would have been 2007. Anyways, I don't think Frost was able to win over the majority of the fan base until he helped defeat Washington in 1997, and of course by the end of that championship year he was everybody's golden boy.

edit: to answer your questions specifically - it wasn't about him getting the job, although people were constantly clamoring for the backup (Frankie London) as fans are prone to do when they're not happy with the starter.

I don't think it was anger that he came back, though maybe people thought he was just jumping on the bandwagon after 1994 since we started winning NC's. But it was mostly due to the out-of-control expectations Nebraska fans developed after 26 straight wins engineered mostly by Frazier and Berringer (2 of our best QBs ever) and also due to the fact that people were offended Frost had left the state to begin with.

That's about as close to an ironclad assumption as one could ever make. The internet haters would have been in a monster frenzy and would have demanded Frost's head on a platter. :madash

Haha, technology has progressed massively but "people"........well.......chuckleshuffle

The upside is that a major portion of the BigRedNation has never lacked for passion! :corndance

Thought this was at least a positive sign. Read into it what you will.

Via Aaron Green's twitter -

"S/O.to.T Magic for takin me under his wings today in skills and drills!"

I will mention though, that this was not the first time Green has mentioned Martinez in his tweets. Apparently the two are getting along pretty well.

I will believe it when I see it. Cannot think that Taylor is going to go away from"Its all about me, its my team" attitude!

I suppose this means Burkhead is out and Green is in!

And I suppose you have evidence for this statement, right?

Just because he helped an incoming freshman with drills doesnt automatically qualify him as a leader.

Well yeah, it kinda does. Is leading people not a function of leadership? It just leaves it up to debate to what degree his leadership skills have improved. Which will always be up for debate as it's very subjective. Some people have their minds made up and will ignore whatever evidence contradicts their stance and focus on whatever evidence supports it.

Yes but if you helped a new co worker, does everybody stand up and shout "He is a leader!!!" Probably not. He is just helping a new teammate get his feet wet. Its no different than any other player on that team. Lets wait till atleast fall camp before we start the "Martinez is a leader" campaign.

This thread is a joke.

At least this is based on a statement by a player on the team, versus all the rumors and innuendo that's been spewed on the board the last 6 months.

The fan base actually booed Frost back in 1996, which is why people assume the message boards would have been ridiculously vicious towards him.

There is a segment of the fan base which to this day has never forgiven Frost for leaving Nebraska in the first place, and there was still plenty of bitterness about that in 1996 when he was back and won the starting job. That anger was simply additional fuel to the fire that began with the Arizona State game that year, when we were shut out 19-0. We were shut out by a team that we had scored 56 points on in one half back in 1995, and although it had more to do with the center (who kept snapping it over Frost's head into our own endzone) and our offensive line than it did Frost, the fans of course came down on the QB. Not to completely excuse Frost, who had a bad option pitch that ended our only sustained drive of the night.

Even though Frost only lost one more game in his college career after that (the first Big 12 championship against Texas), the fans were unreasonably hard on him, actually booing him at home. The only other time I can remember Nebraska fans booing their own would have been 2007. Anyways, I don't think Frost was able to win over the majority of the fan base until he helped defeat Washington in 1997, and of course by the end of that championship year he was everybody's golden boy.

edit: to answer your questions specifically - it wasn't about him getting the job, although people were constantly clamoring for the backup (Frankie London) as fans are prone to do when they're not happy with the starter.

I don't think it was anger that he came back, though maybe people thought he was just jumping on the bandwagon after 1994 since we started winning NC's. But it was mostly due to the out-of-control expectations Nebraska fans developed after 26 straight wins engineered mostly by Frazier and Berringer (2 of our best QBs ever) and also due to the fact that people were offended Frost had left the state to begin with.

Actually the fans booed the team in 1981 when we were down to Auburn 0-3 at halftime as they left the field after having piss poor games and losses in all the games before this one. The second half the third string QB Turner Gill came off the bench to start the 2nd half "and the rest they say is history".

You're right about 1997, but I'm guessing Moiraine is talking about 1996. And I'm guessing this board would have ripped Frosty to shreds.

Yes that's what I'm saying

It was captured on live TV and the sport announcers and on radio made comments of the fans booing Scott Frost. I sat there like :facepalm:. For me, there was nothing to forgive, Scott Frost was a home boy! He did a good job here at Nebraska, ask Ozzy (AD).

You guys have to tell me what it was about Frost since I'm not old enough to have been aware of any dirt on him at the time.

Was it anger that he was the upperclassman, anointed '96 starter since 1995 over some other guy? Don't get that. Did we have anyone else? Was there ever even a battle?

Was it anger that he came back to Nebraska after committing elsewhere out of high school? Don't get that either.

Was it anger that he left Nebraska in the first place? Don't get that either, also, that would've been prior to '96.

Was it anger over his play being sub-par, due to crazy sky-high expectations at the time? I sort of get that. Not sure if his play was sub-par, but I can understand criticism of a guy's playing. But I don't think that's what it is about.

Why was it that this board would have ripped Frost to shreds?

Zoogie, here is a link to an article of Scott Frost : http://articles.chic...-frost-nebraska

I hope this helps. Have a good week.

Zoogie, here is a link to an article of Scott Frost : http://articles.chic...-frost-nebraska

I forgot people wanted Frankie London to start. I'd forgotten about London.

Many, many moons ago I used to be a furniture delivery guy. Mr. London bought a TV from the establishment at which I worked, and I and the other guy on the truck delivered it, unboxed it, and carried it up to Frankie's second- or third-story apartment. It was a tube TV of the time, and quite heavy. We were gassed when we got it up there. Frankie was an unimpressive-looking, slender guy. But after we set the TV down, he decided he didn't want it there and - quite easily - picked it up and moved it across the room.

I don't know if he was showing off, but it was a reasonably impressive show of strength. That was a stout television.

I forgot people wanted Frankie London to start. I'd forgotten about London.

Many, many moons ago I used to be a furniture delivery guy. Mr. London bought a TV from the establishment at which I worked, and I and the other guy on the truck delivered it, unboxed it, and carried it up to Frankie's second- or third-story apartment. It was a tube TV of the time, and quite heavy. We were gassed when we got it up there. Frankie was an unimpressive-looking, slender guy. But after we set the TV down, he decided he didn't want it there and - quite easily - picked it up and moved it across the room.

I don't know if he was showing off, but it was a reasonably impressive show of strength. That was a stout television.

Yes, old tube TVs were a bitch to carry back in the day, now flat TVs..........LOL.

Did you see the comment by London in Husker Max in January: http://www.huskermax...010-Cornhuskers

Three reasons fans got down on Scott Frost: 1) He initially chose Stanford over NU before transferring back to NU; 2) He was QB when we lost to Ariz State in 1996 to end the greatest college football run in modern history; and 3) He wasn't Tommie Frazier.

I'm not sure why some people got down on Martinez so much last year. He was injured. The offense we ran wasn't as effective against good teams (conference teams) as it was against our non-conf warm-up sched. Neither of those things was his fault.

From an outsider, T-mart is what a soph and he is taking a fresh under his wing. Could it be T-mart is better at slinging the BS than the ball and the only one buying it is a fresh?

I dont know, just a thought.

Probably not considering everything we've heard so far has been that T-Magic is a introvert, extremely shy, and keeps to himself. So I would say that his BS-slinging is pretty sub-par.