Cool Big Ten Stadium Chants

CO_hawk

It's not their culture. It's a caricature, it's modern day black-face minstrelsy. I mean, we (as in white people) systematically wiped them (Native Americans) off the face of the continent over the course of a century that makes the holocaust look like playtime, and you're wondering why Native Americans might take offense when we think it's cool to name our sports teams stuff like the "Redskins?" Why not have a team called the "Fightin' Field Hands" with a black mascot who has giant pink lips and just goes around eating watermelons?

You're White? :o

It's not their culture. It's a caricature, it's modern day black-face minstrelsy. I mean, we (as in white people) systematically wiped them (Native Americans) off the face of the continent over the course of a century that makes the holocaust look like playtime, and you're wondering why Native Americans might take offense when we think it's cool to name our sports teams stuff like the "Redskins?" Why not have a team called the "Fightin' Field Hands" with a black mascot who has giant pink lips and just goes around eating watermelons?

So am I and if I win the lotto, I am going to buy a team and name it whitebreadhonkycrackertrailertrash, just to prove my point. :)

I'd been looking for this for awhile so I'll just post it here. (Maybe it's been posted on the forum before, I just don't feel like looking). I just wonder how much size is a factor in how crappy the student section is. I don't know much about the various student sections. Are most student sections relegated to the crappy areas of stadiums?

Anyway, here are the sizes of some student sections (in 2008) Link: http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/bcsconstellation

aTm: 29,736

Ohio State: 29,675

Penn State: 21,456

Michigan: 21,240

Texas: 18,829

Baylor: 15,000

Purdue: 15,000

Michigan State: 14,250

Wisconsin: 13,654

Oklahoma St.: 12,000

TTech: 11,830

Colorado: 11,825

Iowa: 10,587

Illinois: 10,274

Minnesota: 10,267

Kansas: 10,014

Kansas State: 9,000

Missouri: 8,960

Oklahoma: 8,211

Nebraska: 8,106

Northwestern: 7,880

Iowa State: 7,700

Indiana: 4,922

Obviously student body size is a factor too. Nebraska isn't a gigantic school like some of those. (Penn State has 44,000 students who attend their main campus). Same thing with Wisconsin.

On the other hand, there are more fanatic Nebraska fans, I'm assuming. Student tickets sold out in 10 days or so this year. I really doubt it would be a problem to sell out the tickets to a larger number of students.

Good post. Are these averages or just the amount allotted?

I think it's the amount allotted, but I'm not sure. The site shows stadium capacity and the % that comprises of the student section. So I did the math on all of them. Texas A&M was 36% student section, Nebraska and Oklahoma were 10% student section.

So am I and if I win the lotto, I am going to buy a team and name it whitebreadhonkycrackertrailertrash, just to prove my point. :)

Or you could just buy Dallas, and you wouldn't have to change the name.

I'd been looking for this for awhile so I'll just post it here. (Maybe it's been posted on the forum before, I just don't feel like looking). I just wonder how much size is a factor in how crappy the student section is. I don't know much about the various student sections. Are most student sections relegated to the crappy areas of stadiums?

Anyway, here are the sizes of some student sections (in 2008) Link: http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/bcsconstellation

aTm: 29,736

Ohio State: 29,675

Penn State: 21,456

Michigan: 21,240

Texas: 18,829

Baylor: 15,000

Purdue: 15,000

Michigan State: 14,250

Wisconsin: 13,654

Oklahoma St.: 12,000

TTech: 11,830

Colorado: 11,825

Iowa: 10,587

Illinois: 10,274

Minnesota: 10,267

Kansas: 10,014

Kansas State: 9,000

Missouri: 8,960

Oklahoma: 8,211

Nebraska: 8,106

Northwestern: 7,880

Iowa State: 7,700

Indiana: 4,922

Obviously student body size is a factor too. Nebraska isn't a gigantic school like some of those. (Penn State has 44,000 students who attend their main campus). Same thing with Wisconsin.

On the other hand, there are more fanatic Nebraska fans, I'm assuming. Student tickets sold out in 10 days or so this year. I really doubt it would be a problem to sell out the tickets to a larger number of students.

Allotted, because with over 55,000 undergrad students, Ohio State would have more if they could.

I really wish they would bring back chief Illiniwek, that was pretty cool. Wisconsin and Penn st. student sections are definitely the best tons more on them if any cares to see more.

Yes he was pretty good. I also think OH marching band, spelling it out is pretty impressive. I never understood why Native americans would take offense to having their culture, or what ever, being brought front and center.

Ive never faced palmed or sprayed Ice in a goalies face but yet Hercules consider you face palmed and sprayed. The Illinois Chief was nothing but a proud warrior. Not sure of your Big Ten School affiliation, but I consider you one of the dumbest. Your trying to hide an Ace card when ya got a duece.

I really wish they would bring back chief Illiniwek, that was pretty cool. Wisconsin and Penn st. student sections are definitely the best tons more on them if any cares to see more.

Yes he was pretty good. I also think OH marching band, spelling it out is pretty impressive. I never understood why Native americans would take offense to having their culture, or what ever, being brought front and center.

Ive never faced palmed or sprayed Ice in a goalies face but yet Hercules consider you face palmed and sprayed. The Illinois Chief was nothing but a proud warrior. Not sure of your Big Ten School affiliation, but I consider you one of the dumbest. Your trying to hide an Ace card when ya got a duece.

Chief Illiniwek wasn't a warrior, it was a student in a costume performing an inauthentic dance, ripping off the culture of a people (who were run off of their native land or killed off), all for the purpose of entertaining the descendants of the people who ran the Illiniwek Confederacy off their land or killed them off.

Chief Illiniwek wasn't a warrior, it was a student in a costume performing an inauthentic dance, ripping off the culture of a people (who were run off of their native land or killed off), all for the purpose of entertaining the descendants of the people who ran the Illiniwek Confederacy off their land or killed them off.

agreed Hercules.

and also, why the hell should i care about other teams stadium chants? im a husker fan, not an iowa fan.

Then don't watch them.

im not. seems kinda stupid to me.

the only team i need to know that much about is the team i follow, the teams we play are just the victims and i dont need or want to know what songs their students sing.

and also, why the hell should i care about other teams stadium chants? im a husker fan, not an iowa fan.

Then don't watch them.

the only team i need to know that much about is the team i follow, the teams we play are just the victims and i dont need or want to know what songs their students sing.

It could give us some ideas though. When it comes to intimidation, stadium noise and chants then we kinda suck st that

Then don't watch them.

It could give us some ideas though. When it comes to intimidation, stadium noise and chants then we kinda suck st that

no need to copy other schools traditions, we have our own.