best places to visit before and after a game

best places to visit before and after a game

I'd grab an ice cream cone and sit out by Broyhill Fountain. Just watch the world go by for half hour or so. Then you could head over and catch the Cornhusker Marching Band Pregame Spectacular.

What are some of the other pre/post game festivities and rituals that are really big with the students?

Lincoln is different from most college football towns. It really is divided up by generation. The college kids tend to hang out after the game in that 2-3 block strip that included Iguanna's, Sandy's, The Watering Hole etc. (or they did in my day) Folks in their 40's+ crowd tend to do the sidetracks, zoo bar and places that also serve the food like Lazlo's, Misty's etc. The late 20's to mid 30's crowd tend to hit the old loading dock area or Haymarket and do the burger places like Barry's, Matt's (I think its still called that) and anything down there that lets you sit outside, smoke cigars and drink yourself until you throw up in an alley as they try to act like they are still in college. Anybody over 50 is pissed that the people in front of them stood the whole game and just want to get home. :)

Pre-game. . .mix it up and hit all of those places including the Embassy back dock pre-game party, Side Tracks is huge, and tail gates near the Gold's Building parking (3 blocks south of the Stadium) lot and also just east of the stadium under the over pass as well as behind the Journal Star building are pretty good.

To me what is actually pretty special is the fact that fans start to enter the stadium as soon as they will allow it like 2-3 hours before the game. You'll see 40 thousand easy that hurry in to catch the players doing stretching and warm up drills, etc. I think sometimes that can kill the tail gates because people are there for football.

I think it also hurts some that if you talk to fans many of them got up at the butt crack of dawn to drive 2/3 of the way across the state. People are driving 3 hours, 4 hours, some 7 hours the day of the game to get there an hour before the game starts. They grab a husker dog, runza, or slice of Valentino's pizza and find their seat before 15 mintues kick off. As a kid we always drove the three hours there, watched the game and drove 3 hours home that same day. Occasionally for a later game we might make it in time to hit Chesterfields (now closed) for a crappy chili dog and have the band come through while dad drank a red beer.

You know. . .. the RED BEER would be something great to cover. Husker fans are famous for having pitchers of Beer with tomato juice. I know when we go say New York and order one they always like we gave births to monkeys and when I've had friends come Notre Dame, Penn State, etc they were alway in shock that we'd drink beer like that.

Pre-game my family always goes over to the Husker Pavilion area on the northeast corner of the stadium. The Husker radio show broadcasts live from a stage, there's usually some live music, one of the old jumbotrons from the stadium is now set up there and shows other college football games that are on, and there are tons of kids and adults tossing footballs around and talking. We also try to take in the trophy areas on the west side of the stadium if it's not too crowded.

Just looking at the NC trophy from the 94 season gives me goosebumps - first Husker NC in my lifetime and we had been SO, SO close in 93.

EDIT: The life-size mammoth on campus is pretty impressive, as is the museum it represents.

I might be in the minority but Sidetracks is brutal.

Brothers is kind of fun because it seems to open early.

I tend to stop in Cliffs and if its totally lame we leave, if its rocking we stay.

Embassy Suites is pretty fun but you really need to be in the beer garden.

The Rail is fun but looks way different then it did in the mid-late 90's!

Champions Club really depends, sometimes its a blast and other times its just okay.

well the word just came down from my boss we're not shooting at any bars so what other things are there around lincoln, touristy places, or things of historical significance

:laughpound

Sorry. No bars. Only "historical significance." I'd have to say that puts a pretty big damper on the responses you're going to get.

The only really truly historic thing in Lincoln is the State Capitol Building. It's a stone fortress built in the 1920s that has the distinction of being the only state capitol that was entirely paid for upon completion. We were a frugal people back in the day.

Other than that......... :dunno

Historical significance?

I would imagine you can go by the frats, greek row can look pretty nice. If you get there at a good time you can see tons of people walking over to the stadium all in red. That is pretty cool. That is on R street.

I wonder if mentioning frats will start the "Frat guys are douches" posts

well the word just came down from my boss we're not shooting at any bars so what other things are there around lincoln, touristy places, or things of historical significance

Nebraska as a state has some historical things of significance, but the city of Lincoln doesn't have much I can think of.

Historical significance?

I would imagine you can go by the frats, greek row can look pretty nice. If you get there at a good time you can see tons of people walking over to the stadium all in red. That is pretty cool. That is on R street.

Greek Row at nearly any other university - and especially in the Big Ten - is going to blow ours away. The closest thing we even have to a Greek Row is 16th from Vine to R, or maybe R from 14th to 17th. Neither is all that great. Anyone who's attended a Big Ten university has seen better. (nothing personal to our Greeks)

Nebraska as a state has some historical things of significance, but the city of Lincoln doesn't have much I can think of.

That's pat's quote, not mine, BTW.

Historical significance?

Greek Row at nearly any other university - and especially in the Big Ten - is going to blow ours away. The closest thing we even have to a Greek Row is 16th from Vine to R, or maybe R from 14th to 17th. Neither is all that great. Anyone who's attended a Big Ten university has seen better. (nothing personal to our Greeks)

That's pat's quote, not mine, BTW.

Thats true, Illinois is hard core greek!

Our tourism in Lincoln is football. The stadium becomes the 3rd largest city during game time. But I guess there is the SAC museum down the road a spell, hit the original Valentino's Pizza Place which is special to all Nebraskans (same way with Runza restaurants), I-80 speedway for races, Omaha has the Zoo that is fantastic but its not Lincoln.

I don't know if its still there but they used to have some kick ass ice cream at East Campus at the UNL Dairy Store. I always thought that was pretty cool growing up.

Of course. . .they do have the roller skating museum too.