Taylor Martinez Comments on cheating?

Yes, this has been brought up not too long ago.

First glance makes you think twice about Taylor Martinez and if he opened Pandora's Box in the process. But if you look at it a second time and realize your reading just a quote and not the entire interview, one can admire Taylor's opinion and see how correct he is.

Most players do get caught up in the moment and take thing without a second thought. And then even if you do turn it down, what do you next? Go on with the rest of your life? Or report to your coach or AD about the person who offered you something. History would incline if this individual tried it on you, they are more than likely to try it on a different player later down the line or have in the past.

I feel for these college kids, who are easily impressionable and naive, and that is what people count on when they offer free things to players who play sports at the collegiate level.

What is the school that threatened to kill people, according to Beebe, is what I want to know?

Im guessing it was SMU, but he was probably stretching the true alittle bit.

Beebe was one of the NCAA investigators that took SMU down and rightfully so.

The article says it was a different case.

The commitment you have to make to college athletics takes up a lot of your potential time, making it very hard for a student-athlete to get a job...so unless your family is loaded, you're going to be broke...of course these guys are going to take the money!

This is just plain false, but it gets said constantly. The money from scholarships is easily enough to get by. I know this since I'm doing it right now. On the other hand, I don't feel the need to buy multiple pairs of $150 shoes or fancy cars. Perhaps that's considered a basic need if you're a football player.

The commitment you have to make to college athletics takes up a lot of your potential time, making it very hard for a student-athlete to get a job...so unless your family is loaded, you're going to be broke...of course these guys are going to take the money!

This is just plain false, but it gets said constantly. The money from scholarships is easily enough to get by. I know this since I'm doing it right now. On the other hand, I don't feel the need to buy multiple pairs of $150 shoes or fancy cars. Perhaps that's considered a basic need if you're a football player.

You're saying you're on a Division 1, full ride athletic scholarship? And, I don't see how his statement is plain false.. I know most players physically aren't allowed to get a job due to the coaches being concerned over it interfering and causing way too many problems.

You're saying you're on a Division 1, full ride athletic scholarship? And, I don't see how his statement is plain false.. I know most players physically aren't allowed to get a job due to the coaches being concerned over it interfering and causing way too many problems.

I'm not saying that it's not hard for them to get a job. There was no need for me to comment on that part because I said in the original post that I'm getting by on financial aid. I don't have a job. I'm saying the broke part is not true. People have strange definitions of broke and scraping by, though. I can afford cable and internet, go out to eat on occasion, buy movies/games sometimes, and I'm fine. But that's about the extent of "sh*t I don't need" that I buy. I don't see how it's relevant what type of scholarships I have. What I get is the same or possibly less than what a player gets, because like you just said, they have a "full ride." But someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

I am, however, a lot older than 18, and I'm sure at 18 I would have run out of money faster. So I will give them that, but I still don't consider it an excuse for taking money/gifts or whatever.

A friend of mine was on a full ride scholarship for FB and said he was scraping by and he was doing everything he could to save money.

How do you get a full ride scholarship for facebook?

Oh, football.

Never mind.

Seriously the job issue is big - Oklahoma and car dealerships ring a bell? Student loans like most any other student? My son had full ride (academic) scholly, but to get by Sallie Mae came to the rescue - he is in debt, but not a huge hole.

I'm not saying that it's not hard for them to get a job. There was no need for me to comment on that part because I said in the original post that I'm getting by on financial aid. I don't have a job. I'm saying the broke part is not true. People have strange definitions of broke and scraping by, though. I can afford cable and internet, go out to eat on occasion, buy movies/games sometimes, and I'm fine. But that's about the extent of "sh*t I don't need" that I buy. I don't see how it's relevant what type of scholarships I have. What I get is the same or possibly less than what a player gets, because like you just said, they have a "full ride." But someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

I am, however, a lot older than 18, and I'm sure at 18 I would have run out of money faster. So I will give them that, but I still don't consider it an excuse for taking money/gifts or whatever.

You're obviously not in the same position as these players. A full ride scholarship covers tuition, room/board etc, but there is no stipend. They don't get a check every week that they can deposit into their bank account and then spend on movies, games, they certainly can't pay monthly utilities. The players who can do those things may have been able to get a job on campus or something that the NCAA allows, or they may get some allowance from home. Scholarship money alone would not give them any spending cash though.

If you're getting financial aid that is giving you extra spending money, I can only assume you have a stipend in addition to having tuition/room/board/books covered. I've also met some students who received a regents scholarship and then applied for multiple scholarships/grants outside of the university, so they have extra "scholarship" money that becomes spending money since they don't need it to pay for school. I highly doubt that student-athletes are afforded the luxury of applying for scholarships beyond their University athletic scholarship. They might be allowed to fill out a FAFSA and take on federal student loans, but that's very different than scholarship money.

You're obviously not in the same position as these players. A full ride scholarship covers tuition, room/board etc, but there is no stipend. They don't get a check every week that they can deposit into their bank account and then spend on movies, games, they certainly can't pay monthly utilities. The players who can do those things may have been able to get a job on campus or something that the NCAA allows, or they may get some allowance from home. Scholarship money alone would not give them any spending cash though.

If you're getting financial aid that is giving you extra spending money, I can only assume you have a stipend in addition to having tuition/room/board/books covered. I've also met some students who received a regents scholarship and then applied for multiple scholarships/grants outside of the university, so they have extra "scholarship" money that becomes spending money since they don't need it to pay for school. I highly doubt that student-athletes are afforded the luxury of applying for scholarships beyond their University athletic scholarship. They might be allowed to fill out a FAFSA and take on federal student loans, but that's very different than scholarship money.

They can get federal need based money, they DO get a housing allowance equal to what it would cost to live in the dorms, they take that then 2-3 players get an apartment together and use the leftover cash for utilities and other things. They get tuition, books, housing, meals, clothing, access to medical care, tutoring and world class workout facilities. Excuse me as I shed a tear for these poor student athletes, especially considering a lot of them would be stuck at home working at McDonalds or Wal-Mart if it weren't for the opportunity that the NCAA gives them.