ESPN CFB front page

How is this any different than some bogus diet pill using an unauthorized picture of some skinny celebrity in their ad? The celeb's attorney would shut that down pronto! To an uninformed fan, that would indicate NU is in on the pay for play scandal. (or at least been accused of it)

Paging Harvey......

How is this any different than some bogus diet pill using an unauthorized picture of some skinny celebrity in their ad? The celeb's attorney would shut that down pronto! To an uninformed fan, that would indicate NU is in on the pay for play scandal. (or at least been accused of it)

Paging Harvey......

That article isn't about paying players under the table in an illegal fashion. It's another article about setting it up so the athletes receive money as part of their scholarships.

You're part of the Big Ten now. Expect random groin shots for ESPiN from here on out.

This should explain everything

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2011-07-01/sports/ct-spt-0701-big-ten-nebraska--20110701_1_commissioner-jim-delany-john-wildhack-espn-officials

Juuust a teaser of what's in the article and of course Nebraska is mentioned

"The shortest one I ever had," Delany told the Tribune. "He lowballed us and said: 'Take it or leave it. If you don't take our offer, you are rolling the dice.' I said: 'Consider them rolled.' "

Delany had warned ESPN officials that without a significant rights-fee increase, he would try to launch a new channel that would pose competition both for TV viewers and the Big Ten's inventory of games: the Big Ten Network.

"He threw his weight around," Shapiro said in a telephone interview, "and said, 'I'm going to get my big (rights-fee) increase and start my own network.' Had ESPN stepped up and paid BCS-type dollars, I think we could have prevented the network. In retrospect, that might have been the right thing to do. Jim is making a nice penny on that."

Said Delany: "If Mark had presented a fair offer, we would have signed it. And there would not be a Big Ten Network."

The BTN, profitable in its second year, doled out about $7 million to each Big Ten school in 2009-10. Without that chunk of a $22 million per school TV revenue distribution pie, the conference might not have had schools such as Nebraska thirsting for an invitation.