Anyone worried about beck as our offensive coordinator

josh

How quickly we forget his input in this. I'm sorry in advance.

Against the softest defense in Nebraska football history....

Yeah not impressed. That defense was pathetic. Watching this video, and watching Courtney Grixby even participate on a D1 football field is just ridiculous. If Beck couldn't produce against a Cosgrove defense, he wouldn't have gotten hired in the first place. Lets see what he can do against some good teams.

One thing I can immediately tell from this film... Taylor Martinez DOES NOT have the arm Todd Reising did. He can't put the ball where Todd put it for his receivers. He can't make a lot of those throws like Todd did. I think that's what hurts us most with him. Teams know this... they know he can run, they know Burkhead can run, they know BK can catch, but Taylor doesn't place the ball in ideal places for his receivers. You watch every touch down pass we had last year and all looked awkward... Kyler Reed having to stop and wait for the ball a bit to catch it. BK catching the ball at his knees. Niles Paul having to adjust his speed significantly for a ball that should have been caught out front of him in full stride. He just looks awkward when he throws and throws balls in hard places for receivers to catch.

And on BECK...

Our offense can't be much worse than it was the past 2 seasons. Our defense is going to be just as good if not better. So I'm not too worried. The fumble problems we had the past two years can't get much worse. The lack of passing attack we had last year can't get any worse. "Opposing our will on our opponents" meaning we do what we want no matter where their defense lines up is gone (thank heavens). Beck already has done a few things that are going to prove pivotal.

1. We now look at the defense and go where they are weak. Watson used to say who cares if they have 7 in the box, we're still going with the running play we called 2 minutes ago. Beck says "Taylor, audible it. See what the defense is doing and go where they are weak, where they have a mismatch."

2. Receivers don't run to a spot and wait for the ball. Receivers now look at who's guarding them, evaluate which moves work best, and then use those moves to pick one of 3 or 4 routes available to them that will be hardest for that defender to get to.

3. Taylor is now lining up primarily in the shot gun. He's going to see the field well and direct back there. He can change things if needed.

4. Offensive Line and Running Backs have a 3 deep of depth. This is going to enable us to stay more fresh, play physical etc. We had a lot of injury concerns the past 2 years on the offensive line resulting to very very thin spots. Now if someone get's hurt put #2 or #3 in and it's similar talent.

5. Watson used paragraphs to call plays. Now, Taylor can say the play in a sentence. This speeds up the tempo so defenses can't get set as well and get their breath. This makes for less chance of mishearing a play call and thus confusion amongst players. This leads to smaller learning curves for young players and hopefully, faster time on the field. etc.

We've heard reports out of summer practice that the offensive line looks great. Some of those freshmen are indeed coming up behind Burkhead. Taylor has his legs back. Kenny Bell and Jamal Turner are lightning fast receivers. Team bonding is the best it's been since the 90's. Brandon Kinnie and several others have stepped up to lead big time. The defense is the deepest and smoothest it's been since Pelini has been here. Nothing to worry about.

• Fire 1

Our offense can't be much worse than it was the past 2 seasons. Our defense is going to be just as good if not better. So I'm not too worried. The fumble problems we had the past two years can't get much worse. The lack of passing attack we had last year can't get any worse. "Opposing our will on our opponents" meaning we do what we want no matter where their defense lines up is gone (thank heavens). Beck already has done a few things that are going to prove pivotal.

1. We now look at the defense and go where they are weak. Watson used to say who cares if they have 7 in the box, we're still going with the running play we called 2 minutes ago. Beck says "Taylor, audible it. See what the defense is doing and go where they are weak, where they have a mismatch."

2. Receivers don't run to a spot and wait for the ball. Receivers now look at who's guarding them, evaluate which moves work best, and then use those moves to pick one of 3 or 4 routes available to them that will be hardest for that defender to get to.

3. Taylor is now lining up primarily in the shot gun. He's going to see the field well and direct back there. He can change things if needed.

4. Offensive Line and Running Backs have a 3 deep of depth. This is going to enable us to stay more fresh, play physical etc. We had a lot of injury concerns the past 2 years on the offensive line resulting to very very thin spots. Now if someone get's hurt put #2 or #3 in and it's similar talent.

5. Watson used paragraphs to call plays. Now, Taylor can say the play in a sentence. This speeds up the tempo so defenses can't get set as well and get their breath. This makes for less chance of mishearing a play call and thus confusion amongst players. This leads to smaller learning curves for young players and hopefully, faster time on the field. etc.

We've heard reports out of summer practice that the offensive line looks great. Some of those freshmen are indeed coming up behind Burkhead. Taylor has his legs back. Kenny Bell and Jamal Turner are lightning fast receivers. Team bonding is the best it's been since the 90's. Brandon Kinnie and several others have stepped up to lead big time. The defense is the deepest and smoothest it's been since Pelini has been here. Nothing to worry about.

So.... National Championship, then? ;)

This all sounds great. If it's all true, we should be improved. I'm concerned (broken record here, I know) that this is the same kind of stuff you hear from every team, every summer. I hope it's all true. I remain cautious in my optimism, though.

GKF - one question/concern I have about what you're saying is specifically #3. What does this concept do for the QB, especially a guy like Taylor who is not Joe Montana? Has Taylor shown (in practice) the ability to make multiple reads and checkdowns? This was not his strong suit last year, and relying on a QB for whom passing is not his primary talent to make reads like this seems like a bad idea.

If the route isn't called in the huddle, but determined based on a read the WR makes, how does the QB know where he's going to be? And what's to prevent a cluster**** in the middle of the field when two or three receivers make the same read?

Maybe this is a problem of me not being able to visualize what they're doing, but it seems like less planning and more sandlot stuff. Sure it can work, but I'm not visualizing it.

My biggest concern about Beck really stems from Bo. When you have an opportunity to clean house like Bo did, to bring in anyone you want, to run whatever offense you want, and you promote a guy who was already in the club, let's just say I can see how this could go horribly wrong.

Now.

I think Nebraska fans are optimistic by nature. I'm the same way. I love––LOVE––hearing that guys are going to be taught an offense conceptually. I like that guys like Jamal Turner are going to be able to contribute their freshman year. I certainly won't pass judgement on Beck until we get a chance to see him square off against some of the top Big 10 defenses. Even then, this will technically be year one for him. If he can fix the offense as fast as Bo fixed the defense...look out. Above all else, I want to be fair to the guy.

I will reiterate something I said way back when Watson was replaced, though. From here on this offense is on Bo. He was loyal to his guys. That's great. I hope it works. It doesn't even have to work tremendously well––Nebraska is and always will be a defensive team under Bo. All beck has to do is score 17-28 points a game and we will be winning a vast majority of the games we play. Give us another Watson and Bo could go down with the ship.

Against the softest defense in Nebraska football history....

Yeah not impressed. That defense was pathetic. Watching this video, and watching Courtney Grixby even participate on a D1 football field is just ridiculous. If Beck couldn't produce against a Cosgrove defense, he wouldn't have gotten hired in the first place. Lets see what he can do against some good teams.

2007 Kansas was 5th in total offense, 14th in passing, and 31st in total rushing.

The whole point being, there is no point being "worried" about Beck right now. Just like there is no point is being overly confident in him. In Bo we trust, that simple. It seems pretty futile to spend hours speculating and debating on an offense none have us have seen. We will know where the offense is the second we step on the field at Wisc or if we struggle against our cupcake non-conference.

First off, I forgot that KU had 76 points with 11 minutes left, WOW, that is all I can say. I remember the BCers saying things like "The defense is so bad, so the offense feels like the have to score every time they have the ball, that is why the offense struggles" Huh? I know the team I coach tries to score every time we have the ball too, but its not because we have a bad defense, its because that what offeneses are supposed to do.

Secondly, I am not worried about Beck until he gives me something to worry about.

GKF - one question/concern I have about what you're saying is specifically #3. What does this concept do for the QB, especially a guy like Taylor who is not Joe Montana? Has Taylor shown (in practice) the ability to make multiple reads and checkdowns? This was not his strong suit last year, and relying on a QB for whom passing is not his primary talent to make reads like this seems like a bad idea.

If the route isn't called in the huddle, but determined based on a read the WR makes, how does the QB know where he's going to be? And what's to prevent a cluster**** in the middle of the field when two or three receivers make the same read?

Maybe this is a problem of me not being able to visualize what they're doing, but it seems like less planning and more sandlot stuff. Sure it can work, but I'm not visualizing it.

I think there are routes that are set most of the time, and there are only some plays not all where a WR will cut a different route mid play based on how the defender is playing him (option routes). I think most of the time, the QB will make the determination based on the defender to "hot" the receiver so that the confusion will minimize.

Good post but. . .

Taylor will not be calling plays and audibles.

The team will stand at the line, look to the sidelines for 3 mimes and a mobile billboard for the plays.

Mimes.jpg and pg2_oregon_sign1_200.jpg

Edited by huKSer

The team will stand at the line, look to the sidelines for 3 mimes and a mobile billboard for the plays.

In anticipation of the torrent of replies to this post of, "I hate that," I'd like to ask, why do people dislike this? Please explain.

In anticipation of the torrent of replies to this post of, "I hate that," I'd like to ask, why do people dislike this? Please explain.

I'm not a huge fan of it myself, but what I AM a fan of is scoring points. When you watch an entire team look over to the sideline, it seems to take something away from the game. Instead of having an advantage with an experienced QB who understands defenses and what to do at the line, you can bring in any schmoe without a neck injury and play the position. I know there's more to it than that, but it's like a part of the game is being taken off the field.

It really doesn't matter. And no one––certainly not me––will care once wer'e blasting good defenses again. Call it a preference.

im just a worry type of person so yes im concerned.... we wont know until the season starts and then i guess we wont have a full idea (unless we totally rule or totally suck) of how things are....

my only concern is that the time is now for us to really become a top tier contender... if we have to go through the same ol offense struggle stuff we are just shooting ourseleves once again in the foot....

hence i hope that TB has hi stuff together... i have hope but will wait until i see a test drive before i go into meltdown mode or snorting washing machines lines of the powder during commercials im soo happy........

i just hope we pull it off

I'm not a huge fan of it myself, but what I AM a fan of is scoring points. When you watch an entire team look over to the sideline, it seems to take something away from the game. Instead of having an advantage with an experienced QB who understands defenses and what to do at the line, you can bring in any schmoe without a neck injury and play the position. I know there's more to it than that, but it's like a part of the game is being taken off the field.

It really doesn't matter. And no one––certainly not me––will care once wer'e blasting good defenses again. Call it a preference.

While you are correct about just wanting to score points, I don't see how looking towards the side-lines is a "bad" thing. It works for A LOT of spread teams. Spread teams have been playing in title games recently, as well as keeping the defenses balanced.

Yeah, it may not look pretty, but here's my counter-point. Our defense does the same thing. When they see the offense audible, the defense will look over to the sideline for a new play-call and they read and distribute the play.

What's the next result? Our defense gets off the field on 3rd down.

It works. It's an advantage. Just like having an offensive coordinator in the sky-box, or a dual threat quarterback, you use your weapons to your advantage. If it's something that is legal, can work, and can do it well, then do it.

I know you said it's a preference thing and you just want to score points, I understand that, but our defense is under the same kind of play-calling ideology.

Also, Bo Pelini never called a defensive game at the college level either and he turned out to be a great coordinator and defensive mind. Granted he served under some GREAT NFL minds, but I'm just saying.

I'm not saying Tom Beck is going to be the offensive version of Pelini, I'm just trying to keep things in perspective.