I am looking into getting XBox 360, but have a question about the difference in hard drive size. The options are apparently 4GB or 250GB, with an obvious difference in price between the two. What is the hard drive used for and do I need more than 4GB?

Also - does anyone have any experience with the Xim3 adapter?

We already have PS3 and Wii, but my husband who normally plays online games via the PC, wants to play some game (??) with his buddies. Most of them play this game on the Xbox, not on the PC. Since he's so used to playing on the PC, that adapter above would allow him to play like he's used to. Is it worth the $150 price tag?

Thanks in advance for your input!

The hard drive is the actual memory device the Xbox 360 uses to store memory and game data. Whenever you start a new game, you create something called a profile on that game. The profile is then saved to the hard drive, and the game will be able to save game data and save information from the game onto the hard drive. Furthermore, the hard drive itself is required in order to create a "gamertag", or a name your husband will be known by in any online games he plays.

If 4GB or 250 GB are truly your only options, I would highly recommend getting the 250GB. If you get him the 4GB, he'll constantly have to go through and delete previous game information every time he gets a new game, because the 4GB hard drive is just insanely small in memory space.

I have a 10GB hard drive because I got one of the original 360 units. Even though my unit was replaced, I kept the hard drive. Every time I get a new game, I have to go through the hard drive and delete old game data because the hard drive is practically full.

If you want to be easy and hassle-free, get the 250. The 4GB isn't really a good option in the long run especially if he is going to buy several games for it. For example one single game, when I included a couple of DLC packages (downloadable content or add-ons for the game) and my save data went well over 1 GB, and that was just one game.

That said, new gaming platforms will be out in the next five years so it kind of depends on the money you want to spend now. Go with the 250GB is my suggestion.

I second the 250gig. I bought mine last November with the 4 gig and bought the 250 within a few months. It's useful for loading my games on the harddrive to speed up play time. Plus if he downloads any games or game updates/add ons he will need the space.

Oh and one more thing...gotcarl is a girl? :blink:

I don't run a 360, I have a PS3, but even then the 60gb I originally had was a nightmare to start new games on. Some games will need an install or an update of several gigs just to play. If 250 is the biggest you can get get it. I don't think xboxs have the ability to upgrade the hard drive with an aftermarket one like I did with the 750bg I put in my ps3.

Yeah the 250 is definitely the way to go. The 4 GB one has actually only about 2.5 GB or less of actually free space. Also like everyone else has said, you will have to keep deleting files with the 4 GB console. Yeah it may feel like a big difference in price, but it will be worth it.

Thanks for the responses.

I think we're going to wait awhile on getting it. He said that game was getting boring anyway. Too bad, because I was going to use it as an excuse to get one so *I* could play on it - the kinect games look fun. At least we've got the other consoles to tide me over for awhile.

And, yes, irafreak, I's a girl.

There is a way he can play online with his buddies and you don't have to spend a dime. Just have all his buddies buy PS3's :LOLtartar

I think we're going to wait awhile on getting it. He said that game was getting boring anyway. Too bad, because I was going to use it as an excuse to get one so *I* could play on it - the kinect games look fun. At least we've got the other consoles to tide me over for awhile.

If you're liking the Kinect (it's fun, and even the kiddo can get involved without too much difficulty) and you're a Star Wars fan, then I would suggest waiting for this uber-bundle:

Star Wars 360 + Kinect Bundle w/Star Wars Kinect game

My wife, who sometimes grows weary of my online gaming shenanigans, even had to stop down for a minute before telling me 'no' on this bundle--usually the 'no' is instantaneous. :)

Oh, and being an owner of both a PS3 and a 360, I would suggest the 360. Getting online with the PS3, while having improved, is still a chore compared to XBLive, and Sony is beginning to move it's key features behind a paywall known as "PlayStation Plus" that costs the same as XBLive per year. Unless you're lacking a Blu-Ray player--then I'd suggest a PS3.

Just don't pay $49.99 for a year of XBox Live--you can find year membership cards on sale for as low as $34.99 (recently, NewEgg and Amazon) if you're patient enough, and the cards/memberships stack when you enter them.

If you're liking the Kinect (it's fun, and even the kiddo can get involved without too much difficulty) and you're a Star Wars fan, then I would suggest waiting for this uber-bundle:

Star Wars 360 + Kinect Bundle w/Star Wars Kinect game

My wife, who sometimes grows weary of my online gaming shenanigans, even had to stop down for a minute before telling me 'no' on this bundle--usually the 'no' is instantaneous. :)

Oh, and being an owner of both a PS3 and a 360, I would suggest the 360. Getting online with the PS3, while having improved, is still a chore compared to XBLive, and Sony is beginning to move it's key features behind a paywall known as "PlayStation Plus" that costs the same as XBLive per year. Unless you're lacking a Blu-Ray player--then I'd suggest a PS3.

Just don't pay $49.99 for a year of XBox Live--you can find year membership cards on sale for as low as $34.99 (recently, NewEgg and Amazon) if you're patient enough, and the cards/memberships stack when you enter them.

I have yet to see a single 'key feature' put on Playstation Plus. My experience with it is only from the free offer from the welcome back program, and I will not be spending money on it. Most of it amounts to discounts and some free trials of games. The only halfway interesting feature is the cloud storage for game files, but I hardly call that a key feature, or even a necessary one.