LJS: Path to Pelini book, anyone read it?

The wife was at the library with the little one yesterday and she picked up this for me, because it was laying out on the table and thought I might enjoy it. I sat down today during his nap and read a large chunk of it. It is at the very least interesting to see the tone and attitude change throughout by the different LJS writers. They went from praising Callahan, to pissing on his face fast. As soon as the new girlfriend (Bo) came along they were so quick to praise him. One piece, with the header "He's buying into walk-on program" is a real doozy.

"All this walk-on talk probably sounds provincial and hokey and maybe even a tad arrogant to non-Nebraska fans. Some will snicker.

But this stuff is of supreme significance to most Husker fans, many of whom simply want their program back. They want that feeling back. To those folks, Pelini's words Wednesday must have been like music to the ears. Yes, Bo now gets it. He didn't need a script when asked about the importance of the Big Red walk-on program."

Looking back at those two parts of the piece, I was simply aghast. Husker fan's don't have their program back, the man in charge of doesn't want them to have their program, it is in fact his program, and he only allows you to share in it on his timetable and when it is convenient for him (See the Fan Day, Football 202, Cancellation of Big Red Breakfasts or the Media Ban of 2010).

• Fire 1

Either you r crappahan or u r pederson, I could care less what this is all about. We may not have the program back, it may be Bo's program, but at least he gives us the impression that he respects us and our traditions. He doesn't piss all over them. He's not Dr. Tom or the Bobfather, things change. Crapahan sucked, lets look forward to 2011. Go Big Red!

• Fire 1

he gives us the impression that he respects us and our traditions. He doesn't piss all over them.

Impressions aren't always reality.

I understand that, thats why I said it that way. Point is, things change, the Devaney/Osborne era is over, Bo is doing things his way. Until the results equal failure, he will be given the opportunity to run the program as such.

he gives us the impression that he respects us and our traditions. He doesn't piss all over them.

Impressions aren't always reality.

Moreover, I don't think Callahan "pissed" all over our traditions. All that changes is the tone of the fanbase. This time in the year 2007, you could not criticize Callahan without getting some pretty fierce backlash. There's no denying that Bo is a great coach. But I can see why some would see the shifting in tone as disingenuous.

I personally don't care about tradition that much. I don't care that Bo handles the blackshirts different from how they used to be. Can you argue with the results? Was the walk-on program destroyed or lessened under Callahan? Does Bo really have the numbers back to their Osborne heyday levels?

I do agree that we should drop this "Bo gets Nebraska" thing. One day we will have a different football coach and whether or not they "get Nebraska" should not be used as a criterion. Moreover, in the unlikely circumstance that Bo leaves on bad terms, I hope that the spin will not suddenly be on how Bo didn't in fact really get Nebraska at all.

It's good that it's Bo's program. He should make it his own. Whoever the head coach is, it should be that way.

• Fire 1

This isn't a troll in the least. The book is an interesting read, because the tone and rhetoric used to usher in the Bo Pelini era was of course wrought with hyperbole, and at the same time it took senseless and useless potshots at Callahan, almost everywhere it could.

Callahan didn't piss on traditions. The reality is that this program was in some really bad shape when he showed up. The walk-on program was unmanageable, and the numbers were reduced down to a level that he was comfortable coaching. It was one of the pillars used to hang him, since he didn't have enough walk-ons. One should note that Bo is still carrying the same number of walk-ons as we did during the Callahan years, and current plans do not have that number increasing significantly going forward.

The other point that really hit home is that Nebraskan's were getting their program back. In what way? Bo has tightened the reigns on his program to the point where he boots the media out of his practices. In addition, he creates a Fan Day that is one giant middle finger to Husker Fans everywhere, his coaches show is clearly a burden he would rather not participate in, he literally phones in his Signing Day Press Conference, and the list goes on. This isn't Bo Pelini's Program, and it never will be. This program belongs to the fans, and they are the reason that he has a job, he is the pilot/captain of this ship, ergo, he gets to make important decisions, but holding the program hostage shouldn't be tolerated. Sooner or later, continually rebuking the very people who give you a job is going to come full circle and hurt him. That is really the biggest disappointment I have in Pelini. If he would let all that ancillary stuff just go and focus on coaching, the future of this program wouldn't be as uncertain as it is today.

This isn't a troll in the least. The book is an interesting read, because the tone and rhetoric used to usher in the Bo Pelini era was of course wrought with hyperbole, and at the same time it took senseless and useless potshots at Callahan, almost everywhere it could.

Callahan didn't piss on traditions. The reality is that this program was in some really bad shape when he showed up. The walk-on program was unmanageable, and the numbers were reduced down to a level that he was comfortable coaching. It was one of the pillars used to hang him, since he didn't have enough walk-ons. One should note that Bo is still carrying the same number of walk-ons as we did during the Callahan years, and current plans do not have that number increasing significantly going forward.

The other point that really hit home is that Nebraskan's were getting their program back. In what way? Bo has tightened the reigns on his program to the point where he boots the media out of his practices. In addition, he creates a Fan Day that is one giant middle finger to Husker Fans everywhere, his coaches show is clearly a burden he would rather not participate in, he literally phones in his Signing Day Press Conference, and the list goes on. This isn't Bo Pelini's Program, and it never will be. This program belongs to the fans, and they are the reason that he has a job, he is the pilot/captain of this ship, ergo, he gets to make important decisions, but holding the program hostage shouldn't be tolerated. Sooner or later, continually rebuking the very people who give you a job is going to come full circle and hurt him. That is really the biggest disappointment I have in Pelini. If he would let all that ancillary stuff just go and focus on coaching, the future of this program wouldn't be as uncertain as it is today.

Look, not many people here are going to agree with you about Callahan. He hung himself.

You're just about 4 years late to that debate.

As far as your Pelini assessment, fans "getting their program back" doesn't mean everyone can walk in, get an all access pass to practice, maybe stop by the coaches offices for a quick chat, and go hang out with the players. It's the sense that those in the program are working hard, can play with anyone, and can win.

I don't think most people here take his dislike for stupid questions in pressers, the boring nature of coaching shows (did you watch Osborne's, like ever?), or the fact that he thinks signing day is one horrible spectacle as personally as you seem to have. The program's future is definitely not uncertain in just about anyone's mind but yours.

You are trolling, whether you know it or not, as I said this has been debated at length years ago... Not our fault you are 4 years late to this party.

• Fire 1

Look, not many people here are going to agree with you about Callahan. He hung himself.

You're just about 4 years late to that debate.

As far as your Pelini assessment, fans "getting their program back" doesn't mean everyone can walk in, get an all access pass to practice, maybe stop by the coaches offices for a quick chat, and go hang out with the players. It's the sense that those in the program are working hard, can play with anyone, and can win.

I don't think most people here take his dislike for stupid questions in pressers, the boring nature of coaching shows (did you watch Osborne's, like ever?), or the fact that he thinks signing day is one horrible spectacle as personally as you seem to have. The program's future is definitely not uncertain in just about anyone's mind but yours.

You are trolling, whether you know it or not, as I said this has been debated at length years ago... Not our fault you are 4 years late to this party.

Callahan did hang himself. I couldn't stand the guy at all. I find the comparison between him and Pelini jam packed with tons of incongruities.

Callahan was taken to task because of traditions he thumbed his nose at. Pelini has done much of the same and it is nearly applauded and welcomed with open arms.

There is no trolling involved here. 4 years ago, the rhetoric was this guy gets the "Nebraska Way" and he is raw as a coach, but he is the perfect man for the job, etc etc. Same stuff that happens with every coaching search. Dealing in a world of facts, that rhetoric is simply a bunch of hot air to appease folks en masse, and to sell the Pelini hire.

Things like Signing Day aren't taken personally. The actions taken follow the pattern of behavior. It is a huge day to sell your program for the future across the country. It is a proud moment. Yeah, folks hate on Nick Saban, but the dude got some pretty looking gals to "deliver the faxes" and that got on ESPN. What were we doing? Our coach couldn't be bothered with any questions, instead it was a conference call so he could wax poetic for a few minutes.

Like it or not, this program is facing uncertainty at the coaching position. 2011 is a make or break year.