Nebraska's Bo Pelini isn't changing soon

GSG

Nebraska's Bo Pelini isn't changing soon

By Mark Schlabach

CHICAGO -- Nebraska's Bo Pelini isn't apologizing for his fiery demeanor on the sideline.

Heading into the Cornhuskers' first season in the Big Ten, Pelini said he isn't planning on changing the way he coaches his players, either.

In the Cornhuskers' final season in the Big 12 in 2010, Pelini was criticized for berating officials -- as well as Nebraska freshman quarterback Taylor Martinez -- during a 9-6 loss at Texas A&M.

Pelini said Friday that his relationship with Martinez is good and blamed the media for blowing the incident out of proportion.

"I raise my voice and discipline players and that's why we have discipline in our program," Pelini said. "We have this politically correct society where people say you can't raise your voice. I disagree."

Rest of the story after the jump

Awesome.

I love how Bo just says what and how it is on his mind and won't change for anyone. He truly does care about the players and the program and will go to bat for anyone and they know it too.

I hope he doesn't have to have "another talking" though about his attitude. I'm tired of hearing/reading about that he needs to tone it down. Screw that, it's what makes him "him", and he needs to be himself because he has the best interest in the players and the program.

Unlike some other coaches we have known in the past....and I definitely don't want to go back to those days.

Awesome.

I love how Bo just says what and how it is on his mind and won't change for anyone. He truly does care about the players and the program and will go to bat for anyone and they know it too.

I hope he doesn't have to have "another talking" though about his attitude. I'm tired of hearing/reading about that he needs to tone it down. Screw that, it's what makes him "him", and he needs to be himself because he has the best interest in the players and the program.

Unlike some other coaches we have known in the past....and I definitely don't want to go back to those days.

No one wants Bo to change who he is as a person. What people do want to see is someone who can show restraint when a situation calls for it, someone who chooses their battles carefully. Up to this point, Bo hasn't done that, and changing that would be a sign of his growth as a coach. I would hope the message has sunk in, his job depends on it. He can keep the fiery attitude and wearing his emotions on his sleeve, but know his limits, and know that constantly flying off the handle is detrimental to his team. He just can't have any repeats of the man we saw go nuts down in College Station last November, like it or not, anything similar to that is going to get him canned.

Pick his battles more carefully? If it wasn't ok for Bo to blow up in that Texas A&M game, just when is it ok? That was the most ridiculous game I've ever seen in my life.

As far as the "his job depends on it" rhetoric - no it doesn't. His job depends on winning. If he's winning games, Harvey Perlman isn't stupid enough to fire him because of his sideline demeanor. If Bo is winning and gets fired for yelling at the refs or his players, Perlman will be the one looking for a new job before Pelini has even left town. The entire state would revolt.

It's funny but several years ago when he was the interim HC in the bowl game, he flew off the handle at the referee's and the players and fans loved it!!! Loved his fiery attitude. Loved his no-nonsense approach; loved how he got a case of the ass with players when he needed to. Fast forward and certain people are starting to question his attitude and demeanor. If there was ever a time he needed to blow up, it was the A&M game. That game was absolutely atrocious.

Pick his battles more carefully? If it wasn't ok for Bo to blow up in that Texas A&M game, just when is it ok? That was the most ridiculous game I've ever seen in my life.

As far as the "his job depends on it" rhetoric - no it doesn't. His job depends on winning. If he's winning games, Harvey Perlman isn't stupid enough to fire him because of his sideline demeanor. If Bo is winning and gets fired for yelling at the refs or his players, Perlman will be the one looking for a new job before Pelini has even left town. The entire state would revolt.

I never said the A&M game didn't justify him being upset. He had a right to voice his concerns, and to be upset, but he went too far with it. In the end, his behavior that night hurt his team's chances to win, more than it helped. I'm still fine with him choosing to voice his concerns, but he didn't address it properly.

His job does depend on winning, and so far he has done alright in that category, no conference championships and a couple of useless third tier bowl trophies. The head coach of a major program also has an image to maintain, because he is the face of this program. Bo has to pick and choose who he goes after, but overall needs to develop the "water off a ducks back" mentality in regards to a number of other areas. I mean, it shouldn't even be up for debate, the head coach of the NU football program shouldn't be flying off the handle at a U12 Softball game, that isn't alright for Average Joe Parent and it reflects poorly on the NU program when your top guy is doing so.

• Fire 1

my gut feeling is Perlman would have no problem reminding Bo once again as to what constitutes proper sideline behavior for his HC.

unfortunately the whole world, sports, business, politics and otherwise is ate up with being and acting PC.......its bullsh#t.

And the minute Perlman does that is the same minute we'll hear about other programs (like the University of Miami) trying to woo Bo away from Nebraska. And Bo will say no comment, and then Huskerboard will crash from all the people checking here to see where Pelini might be headed next. Perlman would be an idiot to make the same PR mistake he made after the Texas A&M game. Perlman was the reason that became a big deal - people weren't talking about it nationally until Perlman made his press release.

I never said the A&M game didn't justify him being upset. He had a right to voice his concerns, and to be upset, but he went too far with it. In the end, his behavior that night hurt his team's chances to win, more than it helped. I'm still fine with him choosing to voice his concerns, but he didn't address it properly.

His job does depend on winning, and so far he has done alright in that category, no conference championships and a couple of useless third tier bowl trophies. The head coach of a major program also has an image to maintain, because he is the face of this program. Bo has to pick and choose who he goes after, but overall needs to develop the "water off a ducks back" mentality in regards to a number of other areas. I mean, it shouldn't even be up for debate, the head coach of the NU football program shouldn't be flying off the handle at a U12 Softball game, that isn't alright for Average Joe Parent and it reflects poorly on the NU program when your top guy is doing so.

An under 12 softball game? Never heard of Bo doing that.

my gut feeling is Perlman would have no problem reminding Bo once again as to what constitutes proper sideline behavior for his HC.

unfortunately the whole world, sports, business, politics and otherwise is ate up with being and acting PC.......its bullsh#t.

And the minute Perlman does that is the same minute we'll hear about other programs (like the University of Miami) trying to woo Bo away from Nebraska. And Bo will say no comment, and then Huskerboard will crash from all the people checking here to see where Pelini might be headed next. Perlman would be an idiot to make the same PR mistake he made after the Texas A&M game. Perlman was the reason that became a big deal - people weren't talking about it nationally until Perlman made his press release.

The next time that Harvey has to intervene in the business of the football program it will be to issue a pink slip.

Bo forced his hand, and an action had to be taken, because previous attempts to get through to Pelini obviously hadn't sunk in.

Yeah, Endo, care to back that up with some video? Or is this just part two of the "It's Bo's program, he rules it with an iron fist, don't wear black and white vertical stripes around him or he'll tear your head off, and Callahan wasn't that bad" campaign?

Another situation where Dr. Osborne's political capital and calling in favors have kept an ugly incident from hitting the press.

The softball thing never happened, never even close. Two reasons, one is that I know, two is that we have these thingies called cell phones, those phones have cameras and video functions. If you think that not one parent at that game would have taked a picture or vidoe of that, you are crazy. Period. Think about it, if Pelini goes to a Burger King there are pictures of it, but he "freaks out" at a softball game and there is not one picture?

Just stop it.

Secondly, the reason some people, not all, but some husker fans dislike Pelini's "actions" are because they seem to still be invested in a former coach.

• Fire 2