Martinez fought 'to keep head above water'

You see this phenomenon all the time:

It isn't until well after the fact that you hear coaches be frank about what a certain player endured during a particular season.

Nebraska coach Bo Pelini was forthright this week about Taylor Martinez's struggles in 2010.

"He was swimming in it last year," Pelini said. "Let's face it, he was fighting his butt off just to learn the offense, just to keep his head above water with everything that goes along with being a first-time starter."

http://my.journalstar.com/post/Husker_Extra_Group/Husker_Extra/blog/martinez_fought_to_keep_head_above_water.html

Hopefully he's made progress, and will grow with experience.

Wow, I haven't heard Zenitram for a long time!

Yeah, I think we all knew he'd struggle to some extent as a Redshirt Freshman. I still maintain the belief (without proof, I'll admit) that this move was made with this year in mind more than last year. Our 2010 was supposed to be pretty easy, and my supposition is that Bo decided to break Martinez in last year with the hope that a full season under his belt would help him weather this year's storm.

I don't know that Bo made the decision based on this year. I think he really was the best option to give us a homerun threat every play. CG and Lee did not provide this with either there arms or legs. Granted him starting last year can only help him for this year.

This explains why half of our plays were zone reads last year... that's about all the kid could handle. What's interesting... Pelini also said Brion Carnes was "swimming" in the spring game. Fans got all excited about Brion and Pelini immediately said he was swimming in the basics. Now he comes out after and says TMagic was swimming all last year... Don't count Brion out of playing this year. He's gonna get some time on the field to shine. No Doubt!

This explains why half of our plays were zone reads last year... that's about all the kid could handle. What's interesting... Pelini also said Brion Carnes was "swimming" in the spring game. Fans got all excited about Brion and Pelini immediately said he was swimming in the basics. Now he comes out after and says TMagic was swimming all last year... Don't count Brion out of playing this year. He's gonna get some time on the field to shine. No Doubt!

dont kid yourself.

I think you're going to see plenty of zone read this year too. All we're hearing about the offense is that it's very fast, it's predominantly run-based, and there's a lot of option. Sounds like Oregon to me, and they don't have success because they mix in a lot of other things with their bread and butter zone read game. They have success because they're very good at the zone read.

Beck has also said he wants to use the fullback more, so maybe the option they're talking about is old-school, I dunno. But I'm looking forward to seeing Martinez run the zone read, with his footwork and ball-handling, at full speed, especially if he's gotten better at reading the defense.

I think you're going to see plenty of zone read this year too. All we're hearing about the offense is that it's very fast, it's predominantly run-based, and there's a lot of option. Sounds like Oregon to me, and they don't have success because they mix in a lot of other things with their bread and butter zone read game. They have success because they're very good at the zone read.

Beck has also said he wants to use the fullback more, so maybe the option they're talking about is old-school, I dunno. But I'm looking forward to seeing Martinez run the zone read, with his footwork and ball-handling, at full speed, especially if he's gotten better at reading the defense.

I said this in a thread before the end of spring practice, but walking back from class in the spring I stopped and watched the offense for a few min. During that time all I saw was I formation option plays.

Yeah, I think we all knew he'd struggle to some extent as a Redshirt Freshman. I still maintain the belief (without proof, I'll admit) that this move was made with this year in mind more than last year. Our 2010 was supposed to be pretty easy, and my supposition is that Bo decided to break Martinez in last year with the hope that a full season under his belt would help him weather this year's storm.

Our 2010 was supposed to be a run at the championship. The idea that Bo would sacrifice that to "break in" a guy who would have had plenty of time left on the team regardless, for something as intangible and indefinite as maybe being better in a future year, is quite noxious. If Bo decided on Taylor, he better have made the call thinking it was the right choice to win the most games and take us the furthest, in 2010. I think that was the case, though, JMO.

Our 2010 was supposed to be a run at the championship. The idea that Bo would sacrifice that to "break in" a guy who would have had plenty of time left on the team regardless, for something as intangible and indefinite as maybe being better in a future year, is quite noxious. If Bo decided on Taylor, he better have made the call thinking it was the right choice to win the most games and take us the furthest, in 2010. I think that was the case, though, JMO.

I agree, I don't think Bo started Taylor in order to get him ready for this year. That's a bonus any time you start a young QB, but if he did start Taylor for that reason, and not because he thought Taylor was the guy that would win us the most games, that would be completely unfair to not only Lee, but the entire 2010 team.