Athlon Sports Top 40 Big 10 Players

1. Jared Crick, DT, Nebraska (SR)

2010 stats: 70 tackles, 17 TFL, 9.5 sacks, 10 QBH, 1 FF

Even without Ndamukong Suh by his side, Crick remained one of college football’s top defensive tackles last year. He has started 28 consecutive games, while collecting 32 tackles for a loss and 19 sacks in his career. Crick has earned first-team all-conference honors in each of the last two years and was a semifinalist for the 2010 Lombardi Award. He was a key reason why Nebraska ranked 11th in total defense and allowed only 17.4 points per game last season.

Why he’s ranked 1st: The Cornhuskers own one of the nation’s top defensive lines this year. Crick will receive plenty of attention, but the emergence of Baker Steinkuhler should allow Nebraska to own one of the top interior tandems in college football. Crick should have no trouble earning first-team All-Big Ten honors and should take home some hardware from the defensive awards handed out at the end of 2011.

6. Lavonte David, LB, Nebraska (SR)

2010 stats: 152 tackles, 15 TFL, 6 sacks, 10 PBU

Coaches never know what to expect from JUCO transfers, but David was an instant impact player for Nebraska last year. He collected 152 tackles (a Nebraska single-season record) last season, which also ranked third in the nation behind Boston College’s Luke Kuechly and Washington’s Mason Foster. David posted eight games with at least 10 tackles and earned Big 12 Defensive Newcomer of the Year honors.

Why he’s ranked 6th: With the move to the Big Ten, Nebraska’s defense may have to play more 4-3 alignments, which is a switch from the 4-2-5 used in Big 12 play. David added some weight to help with the physical offenses the Cornhuskers are likely to see in the Big Ten, but the conference shift shouldn’t have much of an impact on his game. The senior is an Athlon Sports preseason first-team All-American and will contend for the conference and national lead in tackles.

9. Alfonzo Dennard, CB, Nebraska (SR)

2010 stats: 30 tackles, 4 INT, 1 TD, 7 PBU

Nebraska’s secondary is considered the best in its new conference and among the top five in America, and Dennard is the group’s primary engine. The defense was third in the nation in pass efficiency and fifth in passing yardage allowed. Dennard helped Prince Amukamara hold Oklahoma State’s Justin Blackmon down last October, with the bulk of his production coming on a flea flicker and a late consolation score. Dennard also scored on a pick-six against Washington.

Why he’s ranked 9th: Dennard is a preseason first-team All-Big Ten selection by Athlon, and should help Nebraska contend for the Big Ten title in its initial season. He sits on the preseason watch lists for all the major defensive awards.

20. Taylor Martinez, QB, Nebraska (SO)

2010 stats: 1,631 yards, 10 TDs, 7 INTs, 965 rush yards, 12 TDs

In the first seven games of Martinez’s Cornhuskers career, all the youngster did was rush for 870 yards and 12 touchdowns culminating in a 323-yard, 5-TD aerial assault on Oklahoma State fans in Stillwater. The talented quarterback tweaked an ankle early on against Missouri and never fully recovered. A national television disrobing by head coach Bo Pelini on the sidelines in College Station proved Martinez still has much still to learn.

Why he’s ranked 20th: Even with plenty of great options under center in the Big Ten, Martinez might have the most upside. He has tremendous raw athletic ability, perhaps the best chance at a championship and should post huge numbers both through the air and on the ground. For this to happen, however, he needs to prove he is mentally and physically healthy and mature.

29. Rex Burkhead, RB, Nebraska (JR)

As a second-string sophomore, Burkhead finished 10th in the Big 12 in rushing (955 yards). There isn’t anything on the field he can’t do, so fans should expect big things from the new Nebraska starting running back.

http://www.athlonsports.com/columns/saturday-takeaway/ranking-big-tens-top-40-players-2011

Fair enough. I still think The Fonz is undervalued. He is the best player on our team IMO.

Fonz is really good --- I will grant you that. But it is hard to put anyone ahead of David. Of the trio that are ranked here in the order of Crick followed by David then Dennerd, I'd go with David followed by Dennerd and then Crick. That is just me though --- all three are really, really good.

Fair enough. I still think The Fonz is undervalued. He is the best player on our team IMO.

Fonz is really good --- I will grant you that. But it is hard to put anyone ahead of David. Of the trio that are ranked here in the order of Crick followed by David then Dennerd, I'd go with David followed by Dennerd and then Crick. That is just me though --- all three are really, really good.

Look at this conversation. Think of the luxury we have at this point where we can debate about who's the best player on our defense. That's a very nice thing.

What? No way. Fonzie is an elite cornerback. David has great physical ability, yes, but even last year he was making tons of mistakes, according to Bo. The nature of his position in the defense, especially as the only LB on the field often times, allowed him to produce. And now people are looking at his school record 152 tackles and overvaluing him. Not to take away from how important David is, or how good of a player he is...but we're comparing him to the Fonz here :)

After the day that I have had fending off Hawkeyes, I am livid at the fact that Shaun Prater is even mentioned in the same conversation as Fonzie. There is zero comparison. The Big Ten sure is scrapping the bottom of the barrel for DBs if he is considered one of the best.

I literally just Bo Pelini the person that tried to calm me down.

"If you ever f##kin say its okay that a Hawkeye was ranked higher than a Husker it'll be the last f##kin thing you do!!!!!!!!!!!! Yah f##kin ass-hole!!!!"

I don't care about where some hawkeye is ranked. Dennard has some things to work on. He seems to be less polished than Prince was headed into his senior year. Dennard has all the chances in the world to be a premier guy, but he has to show up every game against the best on the other team. Crick, David, Dennard is the order. They are all impressive players, but that is the order of things imho.