Am I missing something? (Washington Game)

I just want to see your guys take on the game from your perspective.

Our new offense looked sloppy at times in the opener, we'll know a little more after next week. Teams usually make their biggest jump between week 1 and week 2. Even if our offense isn't running like a well oiled machine by week 3 (which I would doubt anyways), I still don't see this game being close. Nebraska just outmatches Washington in the talent department by a hefty margin. And I have to assume they're pissed about the Holiday Bowl. I say it'll be a massacree. Welcome to the board. It's nice having UW fans around who aren't just here to troll. Good luck this season.

I think the games outcome is solely dependent on how our defense does. Our offense shouldn't have problems getting 20-30 points but our defense needs to play much better than they did against EWU 2 days ago. If we give that much open space off the line of scrimmage for easy 5-10 yard passes then there's no way we win. I think though that Holt will have them ready and it should be a game that goes down to the wire. We already shut down Nebraska's offense once so I think we have a blueprint of how to do it again.

That was last year's offense with last year's OC and an injured QB. Not to look down on last years game, NU definitely got outcoached. And with all due respect, where are you coming from saying you won't have problems scoring 20-30? You scored 30 on EWU, and Nebraska is probably going to be a top 20 defense in the nation this year. Granted I didn't watch the game, but seeing as the biggest lead UW had was 14 for 3 minutes, I don't think UW slowed or put in the backups. Thoughts?

1. EWU is a very good team that would beat probably half the teams in the Pac-12 or Big-10. Don't look down on them because they are not Division I, they are very talented and won the Division II National Title last season. Their QB and a few of their WRs will most likely be playing on Sundays. 2. The "QB Injury" excuse is lame. Locker was injured in that game as well so don't even use that as an excuse. 3. We scored an average of 20 points on you in the 2 games last year... and that's with major blown opportunities in the red zone in the Holiday Bowl... so don't act like it's not possible for us to score in the 20-30 range.

Our new offense looked sloppy at times in the opener, we'll know a little more after next week. Teams usually make their biggest jump between week 1 and week 2. Even if our offense isn't running like a well oiled machine by week 3 (which I would doubt anyways), I still don't see this game being close. Nebraska just outmatches Washington in the talent department by a hefty margin. And I have to assume they're pissed about the Holiday Bowl. I say it'll be a massacree. Welcome to the board. It's nice having UW fans around who aren't just here to troll. Good luck this season.

I think the games outcome is solely dependent on how our defense does. Our offense shouldn't have problems getting 20-30 points but our defense needs to play much better than they did against EWU 2 days ago. If we give that much open space off the line of scrimmage for easy 5-10 yard passes then there's no way we win. I think though that Holt will have them ready and it should be a game that goes down to the wire. We already shut down Nebraska's offense once so I think we have a blueprint of how to do it again.

That was last year's offense with last year's OC and an injured QB. Not to look down on last years game, NU definitely got outcoached. And with all due respect, where are you coming from saying you won't have problems scoring 20-30? You scored 30 on EWU, and Nebraska is probably going to be a top 20 defense in the nation this year. Granted I didn't watch the game, but seeing as the biggest lead UW had was 14 for 3 minutes, I don't think UW slowed or put in the backups. Thoughts?

1. EWU is a very good team that would beat probably half the teams in the Pac-12 or Big-10. Don't look down on them because they are not Division I, they are very talented and won the Division II National Title last season. Their QB and a few of their WRs will most likely be playing on Sundays. 2. The "QB Injury" excuse is lame. Locker was injured in that game as well so don't even use that as an excuse. 3. We scored an average of 20 points on you in the 2 games last year... and that's with major blown opportunities in the red zone in the Holiday Bowl... so don't act like it's not possible for us to score in the 20-30 range.

Not making excuses, just stating facts. Our QB was injured, plain as day. Whether or not Locker was injured had nothing to do with it, and had nothing to do with NU's offense. And anyone worth their salt knows NU's offense last year was completely different without Martinez at full strength. Again, that's not an excuse, just a fact. You saw that the first time around last year. I'm just going off what we know this year - UW scored 30 on EWU, no disputing that. Expecting the same amount of points against NU as you scored on EWU is just a little odd.

1. They're still an FCS team, and no, they wouldn't.

2. No, it's not. When a running QB can't run, it's an issue. Kind of like how Tom Brady can't throw with a broken arm.

3. We handed you a TD in the RZ in each game, you couldn't drive the field. It certainly is possible, but you could only manage 30 against a FCS team. You lost a 1st round draft pick, and a NFL starting MLB. Our D is miles ahead of EWU.

If UW is gonna win, it's due to turnovers, self implosion, and a low scoring game. NU by 2 TD's.

I don't care if E. Washington won the Div 2 National Championship last year, to say that they could beat half of the teams in the Pac 12/Big 10 is a little too much credit. That means they could beat Utah, USC, Arizona State, Washington State (probably), UCLA, Cal, Illinois, Indiana (maybe), Purdue (probably), Minnesota, Northwestern, and Michigan. Washington barely beat them, and that should raise some concerns from their fans. It would've been okay if they would've lost by 10 or more, but by a FG, that's a little too close.

Last year's Holiday Bowl was a good confidence booster for UDub, but I honestly don't think NU came into that with a whole lot of motivation. Take that and the fact that we're under a completely different OC and Washington should be in for a rude awakening come Week 3.

I think the games outcome is solely dependent on how our defense does.

I think Nebraska's defense is going to have a significantly larger impact on the game than Washington's. I would imagine that we'll basically shut down the Washington passing game and force them to run. Polk is a fine runner, and Nebraska has shown tendencies to allow large rushing yards, but even still, we're not exactly going to let him run free.

Our offense shouldn't have problems getting 20-30 points

I am very curious what makes you think you'll have no problems getting 20-30 points, when you barely cracked 20 points in each of our last two games, and only just reached 30 against E. Washington? Where is this offense going to come from?

but our defense needs to play much better than they did against EWU 2 days ago.

Yikes! This is maybe the biggest understatement of the day. 473 yards passing? Even Taylor Martinez can rip apart a bad pass defense (see his game against OSU last year). Sure, Nebraska's receivers need to actually catch the ball, but I don't see that being a problem.

I think though that Holt will have them ready and it should be a game that goes down to the wire.

I think this game will be over by halftime. There is a very serious focus on this game by the Nebraska team, on both sides of the ball. If we don't pull out every stop in the rubber match, I'll be shocked. I expect Price to be running for his life on multiple occasions, drilled by blitzes and overall greatly harassed. I expect Eric Martin to be unleashed on him like a fat chick on a buffet.

We already shut down Nebraska's offense once so I think we have a blueprint of how to do it again.

Meh. Washington Fan HAS GOT TO understand the context of that bowl game. We had just lost - for the second year in a row - the Big XII Championship in heart-breaking fashion. We had gotten passed over for the Insight.com Bowl, which we earned, because of Big XII politics. We had to go to the same bowl we went to the year prior, to play a team we had just beaten by 30-something points a couple of months prior. Our Offensive Coordinator knew he was about to be let go, and he basically mailed it in. The players did not care about that game, and the Huskies were highly motivated for revenge and to send Locker out a winner. Half of our O Line was playing with injuries that should have kept them out of the game, as did our QB. Ask any Husker and they'll tell you they didn't give a full effort in that game.

That is the simple, cold reality of that game.

None of those factors are true in this year's game. We are not about to terminate our OC. Our O Line is (allegedly) healthy. As you probably saw Saturday, Martinez is healthy. We are not suffering from a post-championship malaise, and we are very, very focused on the game. There is no "blueprint" that you can take from the Holiday Bowl and use to beat Nebraska in 2011. Just doesn't exist.

• Fire 3

By the way - this is the same Eastern Washington that was #60 out of 117 teams in D1AA in scoring defense last year, giving up 25 points per game. Washington only scored five more points than the average D1AA opponent EW faced last year. That isn't saying much.

You put up 17 points against an awful Div. II South Dakota State last year... That game definitely impacted how many points you scored against teams the rest of the way? Right?

By the way - this is the same Eastern Washington that was #60 out of 117 teams in D1AA in scoring defense last year, giving up 25 points per game. Washington only scored five more points than the average D1AA opponent EW faced last year. That isn't saying much.

You put up 17 points against an awful Div. II South Dakota State last year... That game definitely impacted how many points you scored against teams the rest of the way? Right?

Um... yeah, it was pretty much an omen of what would happen against Texas a couple weeks later.

• Fire 2

I will call it now. vegas will have NU as a 17 point favorite. I personally think 21 is more accurate but let s see what Vegas says.

Um... yeah, it was pretty much an omen of what would happen against Texas a couple weeks later.

Exactly! SDSU was very indicative of the problems we had on offense last year. In fact, it was one of the nails that sealed the coffin of our old OC.

UDub, I don't expect you to know all that, but SDSU couldn't have been a worse example of the point you're trying to make.